Layerer's Lounge

hermeslyre

Mar 27, 2017
Not very inspired but I've been putting a single spray of L'aventure (aventus clone) down and a couple sprays of one of my citrus fragrances on top of that. TDH ETF, L'eau Boisee, DHC, etc. Orangey aventus, limey aventus, sparkly lemon aventus.

Mr. Prince

Apr 15, 2019
Yes.

I can attest to the stunning beauty of this combo.
One tames the other, while the other magnifies the one.
Try it and decide for yourself which one does what to which :)

It was a phenomenal combo. I'll definitely be wearing those two again in the same manner. Perhaps not in the midst of summer, however.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
That sounds good as well. I've got to experiment more with layering. All of the private blends are designed to be worn with one another.

What about Tuscan Leather and Lost Cherry? :O

That does sounds like a great combo. Haven't tried Lost Cherry but I could see that working too. I just wish that TF stuff wasn't so prohibitively expensive, which makes experimenting with layering something of a risk. I just got a bunch of Demeter stuff for about $15 each, so I've been going crazy with those. If I can find some $15 TFs then I'll go crazy ;)

I've been experimenting more layering body lotions with fragrances - today it's Le Labo Rose 31 perfuming body lotion layered with Declaration d'Un Soir - two great rose scents in one.

Mr. Prince

Apr 15, 2019
That does sounds like a great combo. Haven't tried Lost Cherry but I could see that working too. I just wish that TF stuff wasn't so prohibitively expensive, which makes experimenting with layering something of a risk. I just got a bunch of Demeter stuff for about $15 each, so I've been going crazy with those. If I can find some $15 TFs then I'll go crazy ;)

I've been experimenting more layering body lotions with fragrances - today it's Le Labo Rose 31 perfuming body lotion layered with Declaration d'Un Soir - two great rose scents in one.

I do not have any scented body lotion. Any money that would go to body lotion could instead go to perfume. :rolleyesold:

Cheetah1919

Mar 16, 2016
Jubilation xxv with a tiny touch of Tribute Attar.....wow

I layer almost all of my rose offerings now with Akro Smoke.....(Rose d’ arabie, Portrait of a Lady, and United Arab Emirates)

Shihan and Tobacco Vanille......did this once and found it really nice, although next time I’d do a 2:1 combo

andym72

Dec 19, 2008
Declaration Essence with a completely over the top Vanilla or Benzoin ( in my case, Un Bois Vanille. Although Pi works too). Can’t quite explain it other than the Vanilla takes the rough edge off the Birch note in the Cartier.

Lempicka Man (or LLAM) with Merchant Loup. Hides the “Secretion Magnifique” smell alike accord in the L’Artisan, and lets the nutty note come through. You must enjoy Sambuca though, you will smell like you’ve been drinking it!

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Declaration Essence with a completely over the top Vanilla or Benzoin ( in my case, Un Bois Vanille. Although Pi works too). Can’t quite explain it other than the Vanilla takes the rough edge off the Birch note in the Cartier.

Lempicka Man (or LLAM) with Merchant Loup. Hides the “Secretion Magnifique” smell alike accord in the L’Artisan, and lets the nutty note come through. You must enjoy Sambuca though, you will smell like you’ve been drinking it!

The Declaration Essence combo sounds great. I haven't tried Essence yet but I like the original and d'Un Soir. If there's a birch tar note in Essence, I need to get my hands on it; love birch tar.

This evening I'm wearing 4 sprays Encre Noire Sport, 2 sprays Encre Noire, and 2 sprays Mugler Cologne. One of my favorite combos lately.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Been layering these two all week in this Florida heat...3 sprays Mugler Cologne (1 chest 2 forearms) with 3 sprays Lalique White sprayed right on top of it. What an amazing combo.

Mugler is great for layering IMO. Bet it smells great in that Florida weather.

Mr. Prince

Apr 15, 2019
A couple unique combinations that a Saks SA showed me:

Bond No 9 Dubai Black Sapphire + Bond No 9 Dubai Gold;
Tom Ford Noir + Tom Ford White Patchouli

AndyJB

Aug 1, 2019
I've recently started doing four sprays or so of Mont Blanc Explorer out of the shower and then upon drydown about 20 minutes later doing three or four more sprays of Mancera Cedrat Boise. I don't know exactly why it works so well, but it really does.

Mr. Prince

Apr 15, 2019
Wearing my personal favorite combination. Tobacco Oud with Tuscan Leather. 3 sprays of each. Right side of neck, left arm, chest for one. Left side of neck, right arm, and chest again for the other. A delicious scent cloud that isn't quite headache-inducing. Simply beautiful.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Found three great combos recently:

Atelier Cologne Poivre Electrique with Creed Royal Oud. Ends up being very peppery and woody, like an olfactory venn diagram with pink pepper in the middle.

TF Noir de Noir + Tuscan Leather Intense + Oud Wood Intense - ended up wearing this concoction after testing out a few things in Nordstrom - wowowow. It is so heady and intense I would almost be afraid to wear this in any particularly confined space, but man is it good. Rich and luxurious with sillage that could be measured in kilometers.

Bottega Veneta PH + Diptyque Olene. I love layering masculine scents with white florals, and Olene seems like a great layering frag. Pretty linear on its own but the Platonic ideal of jasmine/honeysuckle. Works beautifully with the crisp, cool, gentle leather and pine of BV PH.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Inspired by this subject I did a barbershop combo an hour ago:
2 sprays Azzaro Pour homme
1 spray Platinum Egoiste

Not bad so far!

Sounds like a nice combo!

I'm mixing it up with some vetivers today - 2 sprays Guerlain Vetiver, 2 sprays Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée, 1 spray CdG Vettiveru 2.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Just stumbled upon a fantastic combo IMO: Montale Greyland, Gucci Guilty Absolute, and Encre Noire in equal parts. Sharp, dry, leather, vetiver, pepper, hardcore wood shavings - nothing sweet or colorful in sight, just shades of grey and black. Smelled great in today's cool, rainy Seattle weather .

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Lately I've been layering Atelier Cologne Poivre Electrique with various florals - Declaration d'un Soir, Diptyque Olene and Le Labo Rose 31. Pepper and rose is becoming one of my favorite combos.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Stumbled upon a divine combo today: Noir Anthracite + TdH Eau Intense Vetiver. A wonderfully astringent, dry, peppery vetiver-bergamot-grapefruit explosion, and the "fake woods" base of TdH EIV is way less harsh than when I wear it on its own.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I stumbled upon a combo that I really enjoyed the other day. Aramis Tobacco Reserve layered with Madhat Scents Foliage.

Nice! I need to try out some stuff from Madhat.

Recently acquired Monotheme Leather looks like it'd layer well with Hommage a l'homme - not sure I got the guts to do it yet!!

Haha! Well if you work up the courage, do report back. HaH could definitely use a beefier leather base, layering would be a good way to achieve that effect.

Today I'm wearing Gucci Guilty Absolute (6 sprays) and Aoud Cuir d'Arabie (1 spray). Two very different leathers, but they work together well.

AceyMan

wearing dad's aftershave™
Basenotes Plus
Mar 3, 2007
Today I paired Kouros (4th gen chrome shoulders) with Mugler Cologne.

Turned out fairly good but pretty soon the Kouros dwarfs the Cologne since it's drydown has such a long taper compared to the Mugler.

/Acey

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
I did 2 spray Pinaud Special Reserve and 1 HaH - not blown away. Started off a bit putrid - the combination really making the leather of PCSR really dense - but once they dried down and opened - its actually not bad - oud lovers would probably like it more. The oud and voilet(?) become more pronounced and for a while it smelledlike a "classic" high street ( arabian quarter!) oud - leathery, oudy, a rad fruity an floral. Since playing with Monothemes Leather a lots this week - this combo reminded me a little of that - just not as smooth, rounded or soft - rather a little more coarse/woody. Interessant!
I reckon 2 sprays of PCSR was too much - 1:1 might have yielded a better/ different result.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I did 2 spray Pinaud Special Reserve and 1 HaH - not blown away. Started off a bit putrid - the combination really making the leather of PCSR really dense - but once they dried down and opened - its actually not bad - oud lovers would probably like it more. The oud and voilet(?) become more pronounced and for a while it smelledlike a "classic" high street ( arabian quarter!) oud - leathery, oudy, a rad fruity an floral. Since playing with Monothemes Leather a lots this week - this combo reminded me a little of that - just not as smooth, rounded or soft - rather a little more coarse/woody. Interessant!
I reckon 2 sprays of PCSR was too much - 1:1 might have yielded a better/ different result.

Sounds like some fun experimentation! Thanks for the report.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Monotheme leather (fruity soft leather) + Bogart Signature ( a mean *ss letha'!) = a pretty satisfying combo. Feels like a whole new frag, rather than anything getting way out of balance or kilter. Had been thinking about this during the day.
Lol I guess the test if success of layering is whether I'd wear it 'out' rather than for personal kicks. This one, I say yes! On a crisp freezing day - I reckon this would deliver!

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I've been wearing Spicebomb Eau Fraiche (5-6 sprays) with Atelier Poivre Electrique (1-2 sprays) lately. Amps up the pepper already in Spicebomb, and adds some incense-y depth. Poivre Electrique has proven to be a great and versatile layering frag.

gewoonBB

Dec 6, 2019
don't know a thing about layering, but I had Spicebomb Extreme on, was well in it's drydown. Added Versace Oud Noir for the night, and in my opinion it worked really well, gave some depth/spice to the Oud Noir. I would take mixing them at different times yields better results, will definitely try that out soon.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
don't know a thing about layering, but I had Spicebomb Extreme on, was well in it's drydown. Added Versace Oud Noir for the night, and in my opinion it worked really well, gave some depth/spice to the Oud Noir. I would take mixing them at different times yields better results, will definitely try that out soon.

I could see that working well. I'd love to see a Spicebomb Oud flanker...

I'm thinking Dunhill Edition and Oscar for Men will layer well together. Oscar's discreet yet radiant warmth that goes on and on I feel will really bump up Editions poor performance! Watch this space!

Keep us posted! Haven't tried either of those but curious to hear your results.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
I'm thinking Dunhill Edition and Oscar for Men will layer well together. Oscar's discreet yet radiant warmth that goes on and on I feel will really bump up Editions poor performance! Watch this space!

Had a go with this , might need some fine tuning, I just did a 1:1 spray. Oscar first as it dries off with an almost film layer and then Edition on top. Kaboom, mega amps up the spicy clove fest. Lol not sure what occasion one might need such dry citrus spice!

Latest News