Layerer's Lounge

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Are you a serial layerer? Do you just think it's gauche and nasty? Whether it's because I like to experiment with scents or because I'm just impatient and ADD and want to try a bunch of things at once, I really love experimenting with fragrance combinations. Not all the time, but usually for my SOTE when I don't care about creating some weird combination.

What's your layered SOTD? Very curious to see what other combinations people come up with, especially weird or unexpected ones. For me this evening, it's: 6 sprays Elie Saab Oud, 2 sprays TF Tuscan Leather, 1 spray Gucci Guilty Absolute. And I'm burning some oud incense from Baiedo that is contributing to the mix.

Bigserver1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 17, 2018
I wore VIW today at work, and when I came home, I hit a couple more sprays of that to refresh, and also added two sprays of Aventus. I don’t normally do a ton of layering, but I’m a huge fan of this combo.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Not a serial as much as occasionally a layerer, mainly motivated by curiosity and especially by having this curiosity stirred y scents perceived as at least marginally similar (for instance Dior Homme and, as strange as it may eem, Eau de Cedre Bleu by Yves Rocher-surprisingly their similarity.synergy working quite well in a self imposed testing experiment, though other layering experiences with few other scents turned out far less memorable, successful and thus more infrequent up to now)

Mr. Prince

Apr 15, 2019
I seldom layer, but may try experimenting with it more. It is difficult considering that my wardrobe is rather small.

BigPoppa

Nov 4, 2018
Wearing a blend of Prada L Homme and Eternity for Men today. Not bad, but not as good as the Prada by itself. Planning on wearing this the rest of the week.

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
I am a layerer, serial even :)

Though I am currently only wearing the same jus every day of the week, I wear something different during the weekends and I often layer.

Few faves:
Tom Ford Tobacco Oud and Joop Homme (vintage). Yummy candy oud.
Aventus and Spice and Wood.
l'Eau D'Issey and a splash of Polo Green

So much more!!

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
Of course it's gauche, but that's why I love to do it! Seriously, if the first fragrance I apply isn't getting the job done I try another, one that I think will complement it and/or make it stronger.

Shlorpy

Apr 12, 2019
Because I have a short attention span, I usually have anywhere from 4-8 different fragrances on various parts of my body at any one time. Funny thing is, I usually get compliments that way... moreso than when I just have one on!

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Yesterday I wore a combo of Mugler Cologne and Encre Noire. Basically made my own Encre Noire Sport flanker ��

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Recently thinking Versace Dreamer and Lalique Hommage a L'Homme would layer well. 1:2 or 1:3 ration. Lol will post up results!

Tried this last night, it's dynamite! One of each spray, Dreamer first. I don't know the chemical wizardry going on but it just throws the frag out beastly ways. Still smelt it well 12+hrs later.
The Laliques relative linearity becomes more rounder , lush and fuller, and the iris from Dreamer sings!
Recommended !

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Tried this last night, it's dynamite! One of each spray, Dreamer first. I don't know the chemical wizardry going on but it just throws the frag out beastly ways. Still smelt it well 12+hrs later.
The Laliques relative linearity becomes more rounder , lush and fuller, and the iris from Dreamer sings!
Recommended !

Sounds like a nice combo! I love Hommage a l'Homme but I don't get good performance out of it, seems like this would be a good way to give it a boost.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Wore a combo of Fahrenheit, Or Black and Grey Flannel today. I was extraordinarily floral and herbaceous. Nice for 70 degree weather with a good dose of humidity.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Tried out a combo of Encre Noire (six sprays) and Maison Margiela By The Fireplace (six sprays) this evening - it's remarkably close to Straight to Heaven, which I just wore yesterday. Not quite as boozy, but there is still some nice, rich, sweet notes from the chestnut and vanilla that invoke something like rum or bourbon, with the Encre Noire standing in for StH's cedar. I think Encre Noire is one of my favorite fragrances for layering, it's surprisingly versatile.

avo1811

Dec 6, 2018
im not much of a layerer but i have tried a few ive read about - Bond no. 9 Wall Street with Coney Island, and I Love New York for Marriage Equality with Chez Bond - both are pretty darn good.

I have both Aventus and Jardin d'Amalfi so i will have to give that one a go and see how it turns out. Ive also heard Aventus with Spice & Wood is good, although ive never tried Spice & Wood so cant say for sure, just one ive read about.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Not on purpose necessarily, but I wore Guerlain L'Eau Boisee this morning and added a few sprays of Hermes Orange Vert Concentre this afternoon. The dry down of the Guerlain and the top notes of the Hermes make a nice combo.

NickZee

Sep 19, 2014
I typically layer over the base of another fragrance, but it has to be a quality base that will compliment the second fragrance. There’s no need to have two sets of topnotes and mids working side by side, it gets too busy for me. Best to at least allow time for the first fragrance’s top notes to subside.

Benz3ne

Nov 14, 2017
Better than a 'serial lay', which I guess is a more 'dressed-up' expression for a slut.

Ergo, I do not typically layer, however I've received decants of Arabian Oud Bussma today and another batch of Aventus (not that I chase batches in any way, just fancied seeing the nuance, if any), so I'll have to try those two together. Similarly, I've heard good things about BR540 and Aventus, so will need to try that (though undoubtedly in a similar ilk to the above).

I've layered sandalwood/ambergris tincture with Mitsouko Cologne from the '60s, and THAT was stellar. I'll have to think about what else might work in my current line-up...

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Better than a 'serial lay', which I guess is a more 'dressed-up' expression for a slut.

Uh oh, are we opening this up to plays on words? As in, “layer? I hardly know ‘er!”

In all seriousness though, there are some good layering tips here; I do also try to avoid the clash of top notes by layering slowly throughout the day, or using a fragrance with a stronger focus on base notes with one that has similar base notes but different top notes.

Opiate

Sep 19, 2010
I’ve been layering Hermès Orange verte with everything lately. Adds a nice orange top note.

I’ve tried it with Dior Homme, Egoiste, Aventus, ADP Essenza, & Prada infusion homme so far.
Worked nicely with all of them, Egoiste & Aventus being my favorites.

Haven’t tried with Eau Sauvage edt yet but I imagine they’re a perfect match.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I’ve been layering Hermès Orange verte with everything lately. Adds a nice orange top note.

I’ve tried it with Dior Homme, Egoiste, Aventus, ADP Essenza, & Prada infusion homme so far.
Worked nicely with all of them, Egoiste & Aventus being my favorites.

Haven’t tried with Eau Sauvage edt yet but I imagine they’re a perfect match.

I could see that working nicely with Egoiste. The Orange note in that could definitely work with a lot of other scents.

DULLAH

Oct 25, 2007
I wore VIW today at work, and when I came home, I hit a couple more sprays of that to refresh, and also added two sprays of Aventus. I don’t normally do a ton of layering, but I’m a huge fan of this combo.
Never tried this combo. Will try tommorrow. Thanks!

Zizzy

Jan 7, 2019
I decanted CdG Vettiveru 2 and Atelier Cologne Musc Imperial the other day and there were a bit left on a decanters, so I just decided to layer them - gosh, it was an amazing combination! Now I try to layer Vettiveru 2 with everything that's sweet\fruity - makes it so much better

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I decanted CdG Vettiveru 2 and Atelier Cologne Musc Imperial the other day and there were a bit left on a decanters, so I just decided to layer them - gosh, it was an amazing combination! Now I try to layer Vettiveru 2 with everything that's sweet\fruity - makes it so much better

Interesting - I love vetiver but have never thought of taking it in a fruity direction. Sounds like a nice combo!

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I just got Demeter's Dirt, Thunderstorm, New Leaf and Leather in the mail yesterday. All sorts of fun layering opportunities await. Today I'm wearing Dirt and Thunderstorm with Encre Noire. Really gives it some wet, earthy depth and rounds out the sharpness of the iso e super and vetiver in an interesting and unexpected way.

May 18, 2016

This is the only layer I do. It's absolutely amazing, especially in the heat. I do 2-3 of VIW and 1-2 of Aventus. I find it incredibly comforting and refreshing.

Latest News