Latest Louis Vuitton - On The Beach!

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
I've liked what I've tried by LV in this line, but they are about 60% more expensive than they ought to be. £60-80 and I'd be all over these.

The notes sound great. I haven't tried it but wouldn't mind doing so.

Suppressor

Dec 7, 2006
I was asking them to buy a sample set or discovery set - they refused.
I'm not blind buying at these prices.

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
How about any at all? LV has released 25 fragrances since their fragrance restart 5 years ago; it's ridiculous to even attempt to keep up. Same goes for Tom Ford.

Well LV is releasing things which are up my alley. I love Afternoon Swim, Meteore, and California Dream. Tom Ford hasn't put out anything appealing to me in a while. Really since Neroli Portofino. I wouldn't be mad if he re-released Lavender Palm.

Honger

Aug 5, 2017
The Yuzu alone makes it sample worthy, though some of the other notes worry me. But given how much I like Cactus Garden and Sun Song, I have great expectations from this.

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
Some articles popping up on this. April 1 as the launch date. I'll check my store earlier though, they tend just to put stuff out when they get it.

D.McDutchface

Oct 13, 2019
How about any at all? LV has released 25 fragrances since their fragrance restart 5 years ago; it's ridiculous to even attempt to keep up. Same goes for Tom Ford.

When I think of LV's release schedule over the past couple of years I can't help but think that they keep Mr. Cavallier-Belletrud locked up in some deep underground, dark dungeon, guarded by orcs. Just in order for him to come up with one magnificent creation after the other. Maybe we should reach out to him and see if he needs help?

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
Picked this up yesterday. It's on sale at the flagship stores and online from what I can tell.

It's a sweet and cheerful candied mandarin to my nose, with the herbs and cypress on drydown. It's still fairly cool here, I think it will open up more on warmer days.

I'm a bit disappointed in that it's not terribly original, and is quite similar to California Dream with its airy, ozonic base, but replaces the floral musk with citrus and herbs. If you don't like California Dream, you won't like this. If you own California Dream and/or Afternoon Swim, you might find this too similar. I'm obsessed with the LV juices lately, so I am pleased with the purchase. The bottle is similar to California Dream, but the base has a slight orange tint.

I also get a strong resemblance to TF Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua. I finished that bottle a while back so I can't recall it exactly, but this seems very similar in its citrus note. The listed citrus for On The Beach is yuzu, and I confess I've never smelled a fresh yuzu, so I can't speak to it. I've only had preserved or dried yuzu, which is sharp and bitter. This is definitely not sharp or bitter. The herbs in this also remind me of Costa Azzurra, though much lighter here.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Picked this up yesterday. It's on sale at the flagship stores and online from what I can tell.

It's a sweet and cheerful candied mandarin to my nose, with the herbs and cypress on drydown. It's still fairly cool here, I think it will open up more on warmer days.

I'm a bit disappointed in that it's not terribly original, and is quite similar to California Dream with its airy, ozonic base, but replaces the floral musk with citrus and herbs. If you don't like California Dream, you won't like this. If you own California Dream and/or Afternoon Swim, you might find this too similar. I'm obsessed with the LV juices lately, so I am pleased with the purchase. The bottle is similar to California Dream, but the base has a slight orange tint.

I also get a strong resemblance to TF Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua. I finished that bottle a while back so I can't recall it exactly, but this seems very similar in its citrus note. The listed citrus for On The Beach is yuzu, and I confess I've never smelled a fresh yuzu, so I can't speak to it. I've only had preserved or dried yuzu, which is sharp and bitter. This is definitely not sharp or bitter. The herbs in this also remind me of Costa Azzurra, though much lighter here.

Sounds like LV is now to the point of creating something/anything for the money.....doesn't matter if it's original, or not. If they're to the point of creating near clones of their own fragrances, that's when I'll bow out....especially at their prices.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
It seems to me that as long as people continue to buy it (even despite expressing disappointment) just because it is new, then LV will keep pumping them out.

I plan on trying it out this week, I've never purchased an LV but I've been testing them lately. I'm in Florida right now which has done something to my usually dark and brooding New Yorker brain where I just want a bright happy freshie and I thought Sun Song was pretty good but the dry down is a bit disappointing. First, I'm going through my mental rolodex of what might be similar/better for cheaper before taking the plunge (le labo neroli? mfk petit matin? Chanel EDC? Malle cologne indelible which i already own?)

I didn't care for Cactus Garden or Afternoon Swim which both came off as too sweet, they reminded me of some citrus hard candy. Haven't tried Cali Dream or the other mainline freshie Sur La Route. I'll try those out along with At the Beach this week before making a decision on which (if any) I will buy.

We'll see, I've got a sample of Elie Saab Neroli arriving tmr which might just trump them all and satisfy my sunny craving for 1/4 the price.

Sounds like LV is now to the point of creating something/anything for the money.....doesn't matter if it's original, or not. If they're to the point of creating near clones of their own fragrances, that's when I'll bow out....especially at their prices.

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
How's the "sand" note? Never seen that listed before...

I can't pick up a "sand" note. It might be in there, however like California Dream, the base has this "airy" quality that makes me think of the beach. It's unique to these two fragrances, in my experience.

Having given it some more thinking, it's not that similar to Afternoon Swim. AS has this "deep blue" aquatic vibe, without any sharpness or saltiness. OtB is not aquatic at all, it's zesty with an herb/woods edge.

I stand by my comparison to the discontinued Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua. And I will note that I think OtB has pretty good longevity. I was getting whiffs of it in the afternoon, even after changing shirts. It's also cheaper (at full retail) than Mandarino was.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
hednic, I see that you have received this one. How do you like it? Would you say it's similar to California Dream?
I do like it. I notice faint similarities with California Dream, but I can definitely tell them apart. Not the same to me. I especially like the yuzu I get in the opening.

Rock72

Apr 30, 2019
I do like it. I notice faint similarities with California Dream, but I can definitely tell them apart. Not the same to me. I especially like the yuzu I get in the opening.

As I already have Afternoon Swim and California Dream, is this one sort of redundant or does it set itself apart? I know such questions are not straight- forward

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
As I already have Afternoon Swim and California Dream, is this one sort of redundant or does it set itself apart? I know such questions are not straight- forward
I can only speak for myself and for me it's different and not redundant. If you are thinking about it, I'd suggest checking it out and trying it first before buying.

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
I can only speak for myself and for me it's different and not redundant. If you are thinking about it, I'd suggest checking it out and trying it first before buying.

I agree. If you are into this genre, you'll probably want it. It's definitely distinguishable from the others, but if I didn't own any of the others, and had to pick one, I would struggle between this one, Afternoon Swim, Sun Song, and California Dream. Afternoon Swim is cool, Sun Song is the brightest, On the Beach is the zestiest and most natural smelling, and California Dream is sort of unique. I get a musky Aquanet note from it that's unique and pleasant.

dougczar

Mar 3, 2012
I expect it will be like so many other LVs I have tried - brutally synthetic, but fresh and pleasant enough. None have been FBW, but I suspect this will be worth a sniff. Looking forward to trying it. I do like the notes, even if it just a chemist's representation of those things.

Rock72

Apr 30, 2019
I agree. If you are into this genre, you'll probably want it. It's definitely distinguishable from the others, but if I didn't own any of the others, and had to pick one, I would struggle between this one, Afternoon Swim, Sun Song, and California Dream. Afternoon Swim is cool, Sun Song is the brightest, On the Beach is the zestiest and most natural smelling, and California Dream is sort of unique. I get a musky Aquanet note from it that's unique and pleasant.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I will try for sure when the opportunity rises. And I usually knows where it goes from there

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
I sampled On The Beach today and was pretty disappointed. It is one of my least favorite LV fragrances. I did enjoy the yuzu and the neroli in the opening, but that was about it. It lasted maybe 15 minutes and then it became a conglomeration of notes and an overall smell that is hard to describe.....other than it didn't smell particularly good.....to me. The very late dry down could be considered "beachy" I suppose, but nothing to write home about.

The main thing about this fragrance that's surprising to me is its terrible performance. It was pretty much a skin scent the whole time on me. VERY poor projection, and that has not been the case with other LV fragrances I've tried.

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
Finally found the first LV freshie that works well with my skin and smells great! The herbal qualities and cypress dry down is quite addictive to me. A bottle is in the near future. :thumbsup:

Latest News