Latest Heeley - Athenean!

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Take Philosykos, Premier Figuier and Debaser, mix them, imrpove the quality, and you have Figuier by James Heeley.
Then take the pyramid of Figuier, and

Transform

Grass into galbanum
Fig leaf into green leaves and figs
Tea into white tea
Cedar into sandalwood
Musk into white musk

And here we go: you have Athenean.

At best a reformulation of Figuier, at worst just a rebottling. In any cases, it's a James Heeley fragrance, and for sure worth a sniff!

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Just ordered a sample.

I'm not saying I control the perfume world with my mind by asking perfumers to reissue certain fragrances, but with Figuier following on from Oud Minerale, I honestly cannot say I'm *not* controlling the perfume world with my mind...

I hope this clears up some of the gummy and headachey sweetness from the original - I think in part it's the 'watermelon', or whatever is being used to imitate melon. Good Life basically nailed the ideal sporty-fresh-masculine-fig fragrance. Gramercy Park came close but it's missing the spicy-peppery-woody-herbal base of the Davidoff. Figuier was interesting, but a bit sharp and herbal, like a green counterpart to Cuir Pleine Fleur - something interesting but maybe not the most wearable. With this, and Heeley's expert use of 'tea', I'm hoping we get something like Good Life. If it is, then I'll be adding it and having to mix up my perfume wardrobe because I think fig done well is basically the perfect youthful, virile masculine scent for the summer.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
I think fig done well is basically the perfect youthful, virile masculine scent for the summer.
Have you tried Armani Figuier Eden? I ordered a sample this past summer and passed it on to my husband because I found it leaned quite masculine, but it was very nice fig, also with tea, and some grassy, somewhat herbaceous facets. I wouldn’t call it sporty fresh but it seemed like a nice summer scent, and there was definitely no sweetness.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Have you tried Armani Figuier Eden? I ordered a sample this past summer and passed it on to my husband because I found it leaned quite masculine, but it was very nice fig, also with tea, and some grassy, somewhat herbaceous facets. I wouldn’t call it sporty fresh but it seemed like a nice summer scent, and there was definitely no sweetness.
Yes, not one of the best unfortunately - at least to my nose. It's definitely more masucline in the opening but I found it a rather inspid fragrance in the drydown. That said, maybe there's some charm to be found in the subtlety. I would opt for Acqua di Parma's fig over Armani's, even before consdering the difference in price. Armani's reminded me somewhat of the much cheaper Ferrari Fig.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Would you mind expanding on the differences between Figuier and Athenean, Hednic? Does Athenean remind you of any other fig-based fragrance - discontinued or currently on the market- moreso than Figuier?
I find them equally woody in the dry down, but Athenean has a much stronger fig note to my nose and the opening is more fragrantly greener.

Latest News