Latest Chanel - Paris-Edimbourg!

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
The Chanel boutique I got the sample at (Fashion Island) sells only fragrance/makeup/skincare. I'm not sure if it will be at the main boutiques.

chopwet

Jun 14, 2012
Sounds great and I like the simple notes listed. Excited to hear more as it sounds like it will be to my liking. I wonder where the name comes from and what the marketing has to say about the Paris and Edinburgh links and how it comes up with that note pyramid!

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
I gave it a good wearing yesterday and it's very different in notes than the other Chanel Eaux, as there's no florals at all. Definitely the most masculine of the collection. It does share the same concentration I think though. At first blast, it seems really strong, but it does settle down quickly. Like most eaux de cologne, I think it lends itself to more liberal spraying.

I do think it's a good value and the only spicy juniper scent widely available (soon). Eau de 4 Voleurs and Ginepro are both discontinued.

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
I gave it a good wearing yesterday and it's very different in notes than the other Chanel Eaux, as there's no florals at all. Definitely the most masculine of the collection. It does share the same concentration I think though. At first blast, it seems really strong, but it does settle down quickly. Like most eaux de cologne, I think it lends itself to more liberal spraying.

I do think it's a good value and the only spicy juniper scent widely available (soon). Eau de 4 Voleurs and Ginepro are both discontinued.

Interesting! Still patiently waiting to try this one.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
I got samples today! I feel like a harsh critic because I was really very deeply unimpressed by H24 yet a lot of people are loving it and I have a feeling it's gonna be the same situation here.

At first blast I thought, wow this smells like a Comme des Garcons! One of their woody and naturalistic fragrances like Hinoki or Laurel. Bracing pine/juniper/woody goodness. Lacking any of the sharper or weirder aspects of CDG, however.

On dry down it turned more and more shaving foam to me and I started to think -- OH it's an updated Pour Monsieur! Now, I'm not the biggest PM fan nor aficionado so others will have to weigh in here, but I find a lot of similarities although this feels more modern and lighter.

The performance, as expected is not spectacular. The opening is very nice but the dry down lacks any diffusion whatsoever. In this regard, I much prefer Deauville which maintains an interesting airy dry down for quite a long time. With this, I could still smell it for several hours but only if I buried my nose where I sprayed it. I re-applied generously 3 times today but I never got like the wafting fragrant aura kinda thing. I got a blast at the beginning, then nothing unless I put my nose to skin.

Also I noticed upon very close smelling it is quite peppery in the dry down.

It also reminded me of something I had been wearing a lot lately and I finally put my nose on it: Aesop Hwyl (but at 30% strength, I find that Hwyl lasts forever and is quite present)

So for me it's a no go. It isn't bad but doesn't feel like something I need.

Marks for it:
-unique among the Chanel catalog
-woody natural evocative smelling
-doesn't smell cheap or of any common aroma chemicals

Marks against it:
-verges on Barbasol shaving foam smell/other generic pine fresh cleaning solution/air freshener (it doesn't go there completely, but if this was a Glade plug-in called "Edinburg Forest" no one would blink an eye)
-not that unique among fragrances in general (I would buy CDG Laurel before this)
-disappointing performance (I don't mind lack of longevity, but the lack of diffusion past the opening is a let down)

If Barbasol/shaving foam smell is catnip for you, or if you want a Pour Monsieur flanker, you might totally love this. I imagine it would be fantastic for a teenager's first fragrance who wants something masculine without smelling like the rest of the "sport" or "blue" boys. Though I can't imagine many teenage boys having the sophistication to seek out a Chanel from the Les Eaux collection. But still, we can dream.

Jcelello

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2019
Picked up a bottle myself. I have been really impressed with the last handful of releases from the young Polge, so hopefully this lives up. Also, a pretty easy blind buy given the reasonable price for this line.

Jcelello

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2019
This is really nice. It is quite unique and very green. Performance is on par with expectations, which is unfortunate because the smell is not one I would associated with a classic EDC and I think a more concentrated version of this scent would be something really special. Regardless, another very solid entry by Olivier.

mrcologneguy

Jan 2, 2009
Received a few days ago, worn several times. I was surprise to find it more sweet and spicy than green and woody. A fine scent, recommended, but far less on the traditional green/masculine/woodsy side than I anticipated.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Yea, I noticed that too there is something slightly sweet going on there. This is why I'd prefer something from CDG in this pine forest genre for their dryness and lack of sweetness.

Received a few days ago, worn several times. I was surprise to find it more sweet and spicy than green and woody. A fine scent, recommended, but far less on the traditional green/masculine/woodsy side than I anticipated.

Jcelello

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2019
Wearing again with more sprays and liking it more. I am getting the sweetness more this time. It’s green, semi-sweet, and clean. It sits close to the skin, but I can see this being a great option for days when I want that. Longevity is pretty good actually. I think it’s a keeper.

AntonPan

May 8, 2008
This reminded me of Creed Viking very much. But more natural and better done version Viking.
An outstanding release from Chanel.

Aerial Punk

Aug 8, 2020
Exciting!
Venise is a favourite on my wife. Riviera and Deauville are nice on the daughters. As I am a big fan of Pour monsieur, maybe this one will be mine? I am waiting for the delivery of my Edimbourg.

Last edited:

Nom de Guerre

Jan 2, 2020
Oops I've been found out! haha

Time to influence the influencers and rack in the spoils, haha!

I think what VR said above is spot on, if you're into wet shaving classic men's scent kind of thing you might love this.

I was semi-joking, I'm still interested in trying it even though the rest of the line leaves me feeling numb. I hope they add a sample of it on my most recent purchase – Chanel is so, so, so frugal when shopping online. If I recall, I think you mentioned it on one of your videos as well.

Icemanbrfc

Mar 8, 2020
Olivier Polge, one of my favorite perfumers. As others have said, notes seem good, so its going to get a sample or try a tester or something

Blizzard

Jul 5, 2017
I received my bottle from Chanel last week and wore it today. Verdict - This is probably my favorite fragrance from the house. It is very herbal, green, and a little bitter. The performance was also surprisingly good. After spraying it under my shirt, the scent was still easily perceptible after wearing it for 12 hours. As for similarities to other fragrances, it reminded me a bit of Romeo Gigli for Man. Interestingly, unlike a few other reviewers, I do not smell any sweetness in the dry-down or any other phase of the fragrance. The fragrance is definitely a winner in my book.

Stinky_Pete

Feb 22, 2020
Wearing it for the second time from my decant and it's hot today, which is perfect weather for this series. I love the smell of this fragrance, what's keeping me from instantly ordering a bottle is just how quickly it becomes a skin scent. It was mentioned before on page 2 and I have to bury my nose into my arm after the initial opening to smell it. What's interesting is that the fragrance in general lasts a good deal longer than what I was expecting, it just quickly turns into a skin scent. More to come as I continue to test it out.

Aerial Punk

Aug 8, 2020
I am really enjoying Edimbourg in the summer heat. This is a very nice fragrance, fresh and fits with my rotation of Egoiste and Pour Monsieur. Very much an ”eau”, I just reapply after lunch. A perfect vacation feel. I am very pleased.

TRBeck

May 27, 2008
I love the throwback vibe of this fragrance; there is a hint of vanilla, but it’s a trace amount that deepens the green notes by way of contrast. I get outstanding longevity. It smells even better on my wife than it does on me. All in all, a winner in my book.

Staff online

Latest News