Latest Amouage - Reflection 45!

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
Sure feels like it. Definitely giving me pause to invest any more in amouage.

I'm not a fan of this house direction either.

I raised an eyebrow when Interlude Black Iris and Interlude 53 were announced. I was prepared to give it the benefit of doubt. This news gives a very clear indication that they are going to release more and more flankers.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I raised an eyebrow when Interlude Black Iris and Interlude 53 were announced. I was prepared to give it the benefit of doubt. This news gives a very clear indication that they are going to release more and more flankers.

Hear, hear.

Amouage is going price up and quality down, variety thinned out by redundant flankers, so that tells me they're chasing Fragrance Army types who buy Parfums de Marly and Creed at retail, plus believe in the "sigma grindset". Doesn't everyone bruh?

Disappointed.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I haven’t read all the press releases, what do the numbers after the name signify? So far I’ve seen Interlude, Epic and Honour flankers. I don’t get the direction this house is taking. I think I’m out.

I think the numbers are supposed to be percentage of oil, but don't quote me on that. They're basically retooled extraits if they have numbers. That much I'm certain.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
Amouage is going price up and quality down, variety thinned out by redundant flankers, so that tells me they're chasing Fragrance Army types who buy Parfums de Marly and Creed at retail, plus believe in the "sigma grindset". Doesn't everyone bruh?

Disappointed.

I concur.

I haven’t read all the press releases, what do the numbers after the name signify? So far I’ve seen Interlude, Epic and Honour flankers. I don’t get the direction this house is taking. I think I’m out.

You're right (about the numbers), now they are beginning to sound like Le Labo. Lol

zerofox

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 31, 2020
At these price levels I hope they are prepared to give their customers samples rather than showering youtubers with freebies and passing on the cost to customers

^The quiet part said out loud.

I may host an Epic 56 split because Epic Woman extrait was on my decant list anyhow, but it will be on my terms when it suits me not the release hype. Equal chance I’ll just buy a decant of the prior extrait.

zerofox

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 31, 2020

A sublime union of extreme concentration and extended aging, this iconic creation becomes all the more extraordinary.

What makes EPIC 56 WOMAN an "Exceptional Extrait"?
A fragrance is usually a mix of a concentrate (containing fragrant oils) and an alcoholic base. Some fragrances can also contain a bit of water and additives like liquid UV filters, stabilizers or colourants. Therefore, fragrances with a higher fragrance concentration contain more perfume oils and less alcohol, and vice-versa.
Usually, a higher perfume oil concentration means an increased performance of the fragrance (particularly longer lasting scent) – but the impact of oil concentration is much more complex and varies depending on each formula.

Eau de Cologne (EDC) 3% - 10% oils
Eau de Toilette (EDT) 5% - 15% oils
Eau de Parfum (EDP) 15% - 20% oils
Parfum / Extrait 20% - 30% oils
Amouage Epic 56 Woman - 56% exceptional oils

I hope a few formulators or cosmetic chemists from the DIY forum could opine on this concentration. Part of me thinks it’s going to be hell on my skin.

ihxb01

Jan 26, 2020
I share utter disappointment of this thread.
Amouage really got everything backwards. Instead of making perfumes more concentrated, a brand should persistently dilute those. People will buy them anyway out of inertia or based on good reviews of the first batches. Further, it's just plain unwise having a handful of new releases in one year. They are supposed to keep us marinating for a decade for a new pillar. Moreover, they are expected to issue old perfumes under the new names, in the new but boring bottles (like any other brand has) and suddenly rising prices for a hundred percent at once. Ease up, Amouage, you're going too fast in the wrong direction!.. My only hope an Amouage controlling shareholder will read my comment.

I'm not protecting them (it is against my professional responsibility to do that for free), I just hate to see a thread that moody. I also worried whether they thought that through - how to name a concentrated version of Jubilation XXV.

Larry Hoover

Jan 18, 2015
At these price levels I hope they are prepared to give their customers samples rather than showering youtubers with freebies and passing on the cost to customers

Disappointed.

Well said.

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
I share utter disappointment of this thread.
Amouage really got everything backwards. Instead of making perfumes more concentrated, a brand should persistently dilute those. People will buy them anyway out of inertia or based on good reviews of the first batches. Further, it's just plain unwise having a handful of new releases in one year. They are supposed to keep us marinating for a decade for a new pillar. Moreover, they are expected to issue old perfumes under the new names, in the new but boring bottles (like any other brand has) and suddenly rising prices for a hundred percent at once. Ease up, Amouage, you're going too fast in the wrong direction!.. My only hope an Amouage controlling shareholder will read my comment.

I'm not protecting them (it is against my professional responsibility to do that for free), I just hate to see a thread that moody. I also worried whether they thought that through - how to name a concentrated version of Jubilation XXV.

Hear, hear. Heaven forbid there's a discussion of "When is a flanker not a flanker?" You would think they would learn from the likes of the Montales and Manceras and Bonds that releasing only two or three fragrances a year draws little more than yawns and eye rolls. It's a pity. You would think they'd learn as their sales have bottomed out and discounters won't even carry them anymore. Nevertheless, I'll be waiting, with bated breath, for that bottle redesign to 75ml and cologne versions. I just hope they keep the prices in line with lower concentrations like some houses do.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
I'd love to try it! Interlude 53 and Black Iris are freaking amazing.

Y'all have to remember it's also a business at the end of the day, and if they produce improvements/variations/concentrated versions of their popular selling fragrances, why not? It's not endless flanker after flanker like some houses.

I welcome the Amouage Extrait overlords. lol

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011

I would have to agree with you on this as well. And it's not just Amouage that are entertaining this business 'strategy' either: it seems to be the new norm these days.

Of course the decant sites are the real winners from this. Since the pandemic and global lockdowns began, these sites have seen their sales sky rocket. With the usual fragrance heads unable to get to traditional stores to try new scents (or existing ones for that matter), they have turned to ordering samples and decants online.

If only the fragrance houses could see the potential of producing more samples once a new product is released.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011

Renaud has posted about this in the 'Official Amouage' Thread. Because I think it might be of relevance to some members in the thread here, I thought I should post a link to his post.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Of course the decant sites are the real winners from this. Since the pandemic and global lockdowns began, these sites have seen their sales sky rocket. With the usual fragrance heads unable to get to traditional stores to try new scents (or existing ones for that matter), they have turned to ordering samples and decants online.

Probably true, and for me that's been a good thing.

I've certainly upped my decant game a lot since Covid. In store, I've made too many rash purchases because I liked the basic frag opening and because "well, I'm here...might as well buy something."

I've bought about 30 decants in last year or so, and only a couple have turned into full bottle purchases. Anything I look to buy now gets a 3-4 wearing audition.
Many I like ok-ish, but realize with a big wardrobe, the decant will suffice.

I'm not a big fan of this constant flanker barrage. But it seems like it must be working so we better get used to it.

harveyg1

Dec 15, 2019
I am ok with the extrait releases; their catalog is already extensive and has many gems IMO. Would love to see a Jub XXV extrait release.

Strongly agree that samples are essential. Amouage has not managed this properly IMO and represents an opportunity for the brand. I hardly buy blind anymore and def not at this price point.

That said would love to see something regal, powerful, new and different. They haven't innovated in this way for a while. Until then I'll keep wearing Tribute. Not rushing to try Ref extrait.

leor_77

Mar 8, 2006
I'm going to go against the grain of negativity in this thread, and just say that...If the flankers are of high quality, that should be all that matters. Reflection is a great scent - let's see what they can do with it, and judge then.

Jul 7, 2012
I'm going to go against the grain of negativity in this thread, and just say that...If the flankers are of high quality, that should be all that matters. Reflection is a great scent - let's see what they can do with it, and judge then.

My thoughts exactly.

I've certainly wished houses like Dior would release special editions of scents like Fahrenheit and Dior Homme with luxe quality.

If Amouage takes Reflection, which is already an excellent scent, and they improve on it in a way that's worthy of the price tag, I'm for it.

Latest News