Lady Luck & Superstitions.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Are you superstitious?

Do you have a certain fragrance that you wear for extra luck?

A neighbor of mine just informed me that she had hastily changed her doctor’s appointment, after realizing that tomorrow was Friday the 13th.

I am in no way superstitious. I have the number 13 tattooed on myself in Roman numerals, I don’t mind walking under ladders (although I probably shouldn’t, for safety reasons), and broken mirrors are a hazard, not a tragedy.

I do, however, believe in karma - receiving what you put out in life, for the most part - and am an avid believer in “paying it forward”. I also believe that a good deed should stay anonymous, or at least discreet - I hate all of the Tik Toks and videos that flaunt a content creator’s “good deeds”.

Lastly, I myself do not have a lucky scent.

Aug 16, 2022
On the spectrum of believing in any kind of phenomena to being confident nothing funny at all is going on, I'm in the "Anything's possible but there never seems to be good evidence", kind of skeptical region. I don't have a lucky fragrance, but if good things kept happening when I wore one I'd go with it.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
I'm mildly superstitous in the way baseball players often are. When something especially good happens to me, I try to replicate the circumstances. So, it'll be like repeating something on the same day of the week, wearing the same color, etc. I'd say it is a mild association that fades after time, rather than a rigid superstition.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
I"m like Trilby I have some silly rituals I have around fragrances (I wear Egoiste every time I fly in a plane; I wear Orris by Tauer every New Years Eve; I wear Shalimar to bed; I wear Mitsouko by Guerlain when its rainy) and I have always had a lucky number in my adult life (its "23") so I always pick Row 23 when I fly in a plane.

Other than that I am not really superstitious lol

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
On the spectrum of believing in any kind of phenomena to being confident nothing funny at all is going on, I'm in the "Anything's possible but there never seems to be good evidence", kind of skeptical region. I don't have a lucky fragrance, but if good things kept happening when I wore one I'd go with it.

A very logical perspective!

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I'm mildly superstitous in the way baseball players often are. When something especially good happens to me, I try to replicate the circumstances. So, it'll be like repeating something on the same day of the week, wearing the same color, etc. I'd say it is a mild association that fades after time, rather than a rigid superstition.

I love this. Has it ever worked to replicate the outcome?

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I"m like Trilby I have some silly rituals I have around fragrances (I wear Egoiste every time I fly in a plane; I wear Orris by Tauer every New Years Eve; I wear Shalimar to bed; I wear Mitsouko by Guerlain when its rainy) and I have always had a lucky number in my adult life (its "23") so I always pick Row 23 when I fly in a plane.

Other than that I am not really superstitious lol

😆

I completely understand - I find comfort in certain rituals as well.

teardrop

Basenotes Institution
Sep 1, 2010
l'm not overly superstitious, certainly not about Friday the 13th. ln fact l'm getting a haircut today, while Mr teardrop is at the dentist right now. And l've never thought of any of my perfumes as being particularly lucky.

We do have a collective superstition where l work in healthcare, though. lf anyone dares to remark that we're having a "quiet" day, we all gasp in horror & say "Don't say the Q word!!". Because you can bet as soon as that happens the place will suddenly get very busy. And it really does seem to work that way!

And in an echo of donna's moon-related comment, l always make a wish when l see the new moon. 🌒

Franco65

Basenotes Dependent
May 13, 2012
We do have a collective superstition where l work in healthcare, though. lf anyone dares to remark that we're having a "quiet" day, we all gasp in horror & say "Don't say the Q word!!". Because you can bet as soon as that happens the place will suddenly get very busy. And it really does seem to work that way!
I work in health care, too and it's basically the same!

Nastka

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 6, 2011
Not superstitious in the least. Made my friends gasp a few times when I dared to open an umbrella indoors, which apparently is bad luck.

I also don't believe in karma, or at least in it's colloquial use. It's a concept where we tell ourselves that bad people will be eventually punished to pacify our own minds, when the depressing truth is that a lot of the time, people who do bad things get away with it and keep carrying on with whatever they're doing.

That said, we all should strive to be decent and kind people, because that's the least we can do to make our lives and the lives of others better.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
The number 13 never bothers me, I do not walk under ladders, well the whole pavement is there, why duck under a tight space when walking.

I do praise the full moon each month, but that is more a pagan like thing, the great goddess.

Beautiful.

I’m also laughing at the visual of someone going out of their way on a vast pavement to squeeze under a ladder 😆

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022

I’ve heard of this as well!

I hope you enjoy your salon visit, and that Mr. Teardrop has a smooth appointment.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I also don't believe in karma, or at least in it's colloquial use. It's a concept where we tell ourselves that bad people will be eventually punished to pacify our own minds, when the depressing truth is that a lot of the time, people who do bad things get away with it and keep carrying on with whatever they're doing.

That said, we all should strive to be decent and kind people, because that's the least we can do to make our lives and the lives of others better.

I do the umbrella thing as well, if there’s a reason for it (to be opened indoors).

And I whole-heartedly agree with your last statement ❤️

Pippin06

Life is good.
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
Are you superstitious?

A neighbor of mine just informed me that she had hastily changed her doctor’s appointment, after realizing that tomorrow was Friday the 13th.

I am in no way superstitious. I have the number 13 tattooed on myself in Roman numerals, I don’t mind walking under ladders (although I probably shouldn’t, for safety reasons), and broken mirrors are a hazard, not a tragedy.

I do, however, believe in karma - receiving what you put out in life, for the most part - and am an avid believer in “paying it forward”. I also believe that a good deed should stay anonymous, or at least discreet - I hate all of the Tik Toks and videos that flaunt a content creator’s “good deeds”.

Not at all superstitious. In fact, my favorite number has been 13 as long as I can remember. No "lucky" scent for me, and do not have anything that I would consider "lucky."

Pheusinger

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 20, 2019
Are you superstitious?

Maybe not, but you do have good taste!
Screenshot_20230124-055011_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Many great (and entertaining, considerate) replies.
Although not superstitious, the fact of considering almost any fragrance in the current lineup as lucky-in fact perceiving an entire scent wardrobe as lucky-might be already be seen as bordering or superstition (or simply a series of lucky coincidences).

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...