Kurkdjian is the new Dior in house perfumer!!

Larry Hoover

Jan 18, 2015
Exciting news! Hope Kurkdjian will bring us some classics and steer clear from the more pedestrian fresh scents such as his last few releases.

Too bad Demachy is retiring but at 72 he still is one top tier perfumer. Gave us several classics such as Dior Homme Parfum and Leather Oud.

Vinrambo09

Jan 14, 2010
Expect more muskier and woody florals. Demachy had a mixed track record and is nowhere in the realm of what MFK has created over the years.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
I'm concerned, if I'm being honest. Intrigued, but concerned. I clicked with a lot of Demachy's stuff, and MFK is hit or miss; not as much 'WOW' and attached to his stuff. But, it'll probably be fine! Feels he has his hand in a lot of stuff, surprised he has the time and dedication for the role.

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003
Not much of a Kurkdjian composition fan here. Hopefully his Dior stuff will surpass most of the MFK offerings. I *will* say his stuff tends to be memorable (just not necessarily in a good way)….

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
Seems to fit Diors new direction putting out very synthetic smelling fragrances.

Maybe he's doing an "Dior Ultra Homme" now - I certainly will check it out! :D

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Nothing new here, since FK already signed several fragrances for Dior, officially, or sometimes unofficially (fragrances signed by Demachy, who was the creative director, but often omitted to credit the various perfumers he hired - especially in the last 10 years).
To be honest: not surprised, and even less excited, in view of the past work of FK, that I am no fan of. (but nor was I a fan of Demachy, so... flatness continued, in my book).

Yasser05

Nov 17, 2016
I'm not very excited about the arrival of FK because he's a proponent of the use synthetic ingredients in the fragrances creation.

I will miss the genius and minuteness of François Demachy.

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
he's a proponent of the use of synthetic ingredients in the fragrances creation

I agree, and I have a hard time wearing some of the popular MFKs therefore because they sometimes feel that screechy and are headache inducing. Which is a shame because I like the scent of some of them.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Nothing new here, since FK already signed several fragrances for Dior, officially, or sometimes unofficially (fragrances signed by Demachy, who was the creative director, but often omitted to credit the various perfumers he hired - especially in the last 10 years).
To be honest: not surprised, and even less excited, in view of the past work of FK, that I am no fan of. (but nor was I a fan of Demachy, so... flatness continued, in my book).
Flatness Continued 2: Electric Flataloo

smellyD

Feb 7, 2014
Oh man, I don't know much about FK, but I really like Demachy's works. I think the majority of my collection is done by him:

Fahrenheit Parfum
Fahrenheit Cologne
Fahrenheit (if you consider reformulations are done under his direction)
Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
Sauvage EDT
Sauvage EDP
Sauvage Elixir
Dior Homme 2020
Dior Homme Eau

I really like how his fragrances have distinct tops, mids, and bases - good progression of the fragrance. I like these fragrances because they are "mainstream" but high quality with good longevity. I get a full workday from even Fahrenheit Cologne. Also, I was really hoping Demachy would release a flanker to DH 2020. I really like the DH 2020 DNA, and it seems ripe for a good flanker. I hope FK takes style cues from Demachy so that there is some continuity in the new releases.

Does this mean that Sauvage Elixir was Demachy's last masculine release? That's a good way to go out. I really like Elixir.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
I'm anxious to see what he does at Dior. I wonder what will happen to MFK as a house.
I assume he'll keep running it since his line was purchased by LVMH group. But I can imagine the releases might slow down or become even more uninspired (is it possible??) because of the strain on his time and creative energies.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Exciting. Kirkdjians blends and florals are his strong suits. I liked Demachy, but im excited none the less!
Interesting to see what masculine stuff he does given Dior's dichotomy of feminine-leaning purple florals and THE ambroxan blue fragrance. I'd be interested to see something that builds on the likes of Higher and Dune: softer, delicate, fresh men's fragrances that are FK's forte.

Dior's exclusive line is probably one of the worst on the basis of what I've tried. Really awful. He may have been brought in to turn that around.

Latest News