Knize Ten - is it worth it?

Aether33

Basenotes Member
May 29, 2014
I am getting ready to put down some money on Knize Ten.

Do you fine folks recommend it? Also, how much better is it than, say, Hermes Bel Ami? Or maybe it isn't?

I love a strong masculine leather. Love Dior Leather Oud, but it's too expensive for what i'm willing to pay. Tested Montale Cuir d'Arabie, liked the leather but didn't care for the 'vomit' whiff.

Thanks for your comments!

fan.of.devin

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 19, 2013
I liked it, though not something I'd wear at this point in my life. It's pretty mature.
Smells like leather and powdery shaving soap, with a hint of motor oil.

Is it worth it? To me the pricing is pretty damn steep, I could live without it, given how many other good and cheap leather scents there seem to be.

Derbyman

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 26, 2010
Hi Aether33 - I've owned Knize 10 for a year or so now and have only maybe worn it once or twice. That's not to say it's a bad fragrance, it's just quite unusual. It's certainly not an obvious leather scent if that makes sense. What I mean by that is it smells of leather in a certain setting rather than just a pure 'leather smell'. For me It invokes a feel of being in an old sports car with leather upholstery and there's the leather smell but also a castor-oil note which lends a powdery feel to the fragrance. Almost like a conditioner has been used on the leather seats! There's a vague petroleum and rubber vibe also but this could be an olfactory illusion created by the tar and castor-oil. It's certainly unique and has amazing lasting power. It's got a distinct 'old-school' vibe and would wear well with an old leather jacket and greased up quiff!!

I only purchased a small 15ml splash bottle (from 'Manufactum' website for around 15 euros) as I had been warned it was not a good blind buy. I'm glad I've got it but am glad I didn't buy a 100ml bottle...!

dr.creed

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 3, 2004
I personally like Knize Ten a lot, I wouldn't mind wearing it all year, but there's also a special edition called "Golden Edition" which probably is in the top ten of all fragrances there are (for me of course). Also bear in mind that the older you get you probably will learn to love and appreciate this fragrance. It's not the perfect choice for a youngster. Also always test before you buy if money is limited.

Monsieur Montana

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 14, 2015
I personally like Knize Ten a lot, I wouldn't mind wearing it all year, but there's also a special edition called "Golden Edition" which probably is in the top ten of all fragrances there are (for me of course). Also bear in mind that the older you get you probably will learn to love and appreciate this fragrance. It's not the perfect choice for a youngster. Also always test before you buy if money is limited.

As an Austrian that you are i wouldn't expect something else!
I am not "taken away" from Knize Ten although it is a nice fragrance overall. This is the reason i do not own a bottle of it.
I do own the Golden Edition you have mentioned. For me it is (for the present time at least) light years away from my personal top 10 fragrances.
But who knows maybe i will have another revelation as i have had with Equipage.

Last edited:

badarun

Basenotes Institution
Jan 15, 2013
I own & love Knize Ten, lucky to have an older edition bottle, as there are talks of reformulations even on this one.

If you like stark / deep leathers, you should definitely try Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentrate - much cheaper than Bel Ami / Derby etc...Look for the red / blue Paisley box...

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Belonging myself to the fans of this fragrance, but can fully understand why this fragrance may be perceived as challenging, difficult or not immediately likable and also that it needs certain testing before settling on it. In my opinion, worth it especially given its value for money but also a certain subjective factor not always quantifiable in fragrances , but ultimately, this highly individual fragrance is a highly personal decision.

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
Sounds as though you should get Rien or Rien Intense first -- then Knize Ten won't shock you as much

rynegne

Basenotes Institution
Jul 25, 2012
If you like it, pick it up. I've regretted waiting on making purchases of fragrances I've enjoyed in the past.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
I love it. It's a butch masculine leather with a certain automotive vibe (as others said), but then covered in powdery florals, which make it quite elegant and old style. I prefer it to the current Bel Ami.

Some BNers reported that the latest batches are lighter and thinner than before. I have not smelled them. If so, then perhaps it's worth looking into the golden edition, which is smoother but also more intense.

As for others, I concur that it's hard to be more butch than Rien. In-your-face animalic leather. Not particularly expensive, despite being niche, and a great value because you only need a small spritz, which lasts forever.

cacio

Zilpha

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 7, 2008
Knize Ten is a pussy cat compared to the Lion it once was.

I suspect as much. I recently tried a sample of it to learn about this famous fragrance and I was quite surprised. From what I had heard I expected it to be too challenging and masculine for me to actually wear myself, but I did not find that to be the case at all. I do not have a lot of experience with leathers but I really liked this and think I would wear it myself.

Bigsly

Basenotes Institution
Feb 20, 2008
Based upon complaints about the latest formulation I'd rather go to a thrift store and try to find an old Russian Leather bottle for $5 or so, but the old KT EdC I have is nice, though I only wear leather scents once very two or three weeks.

DerangedGoose

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 27, 2009
I bought a decant of Knize 10 Golden Edition and its a joke. There is no leather in it at all. It smells like old man shaving soap and barbershops. Its flaccid and has zero virility or vitality.

Pass on it, there are way better leathers that actually smell like leather out there

Sugandaraja

Basenotes Plus
Aug 28, 2007
K10 has recently been reformulated for significantly the worse. That being said, it's always been a big-girl's blouse in terms of having a large amount of big, powdery florals ( specifically orange blossom ) and ambery components.

I did a side by side sampling of K10 and Cuir Mauresque, and I much prefer the latter overall in the genre of sweet, floral leathers.

Paul P

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2012
Knize Ten smells like the best kept and best smelling motor mechanic workshop you can imagine. It has a real gasoline, oil, grease vibe to it.

i have a 225ml splash bottle with the batch number Ch 16021. It's sensational.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Cuir Cannage is a smooth leather in the tradition of Cuir de Russie, but with florals that are more powdery and closer to the florals of K10 (ie less iris). It has a less butch leather than K10 (at least the K10 I know). Cuir Mauresque is less floral than the other two, and more ambery.

cacio

Blitzkrieg

Oct 13, 2020
Is Knize Ten very smoky? Does it have that smoky note Cuir de Lancôme has?

It's been a long time for Knize Ten. If I recall, it's more of a tar/oil suggestion than smoke.

I've owned and liked Cuir de Lancome. That was an elegant leather. Knize is old school masculine.

Beck

Basenotes Dependent
May 13, 2014
It's been a long time for Knize Ten. If I recall, it's more of a tar/oil suggestion than smoke.

I've owned and liked Cuir de Lancome. That was an elegant leather. Knize is old school masculine.
Thanks! Some people describe it as having that smoky note like in Interlude or Polo Green, a sort of ashtray smell which I dislike.

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
A gentlemen scent and worth having in a wardrobe or collection. This 1920's leather is more in the powdery, floral barbershop realm with an animalic, mossy diesel dripping on the shiny upholstery. These days, a bit tempered but still distinctly Knize Ten. If you have access to a vendor who specializes in wet shaving, check out the recently issued FINE Latigo after shave which is inspired by Knize Ten to jog the olfactory and see whether you want to take a run at a bottle. I personally love Knize Ten and find it posh.

https://fineaccoutrements.com/fine-latigo-aftershave/

DeathArrow

Dec 25, 2022
Just received a bottle. It was a blind buy. After reading the reviews I knew it won't disappoint me and it didn't.

It's one of the best things I've smelled in a while.

The scent is very refined. It screams "gentleman".

So this is how leather should smell? I've recently smelled Leather Oud as I am evaluating to buy and that smells nothing like this one. For sure Leather Oud smells a bit rough, a bit more pungent, but is sweet and you don't smell more than the chemical leather in the opening as I didn't wore it. I'm questioning if it's even worth to buy Leather Oud, now that I have such a good leather scent in my collection.

Now if I think of leather scents, I think of Knize Ten, even if the leather note is not very powerful.

This one will be one of my favorites, I'm sure of that.

Too bad I will have to wait for a while before wearing it, as I have 8 or 10 perfumes I've recently bought and I want to wear first.

As to the question - is it worth it? Typically I would reply that it depends on your tastes, on how much money are you comfortable spending on a perfume. But no, not today, not for this one. Do yourself a favor and order it, order a decant or just try to sniff it somewhere. It is totally worth. It is a jewel. Now I understand that François Coty was one of the greatest perfumers.

This stuff is timeless, it will smell as good 100 years from now on, as it smells now and it smelled 100 years before.

Want to travel in the past or in the future? Buy Knize Ten!

How it smells? It smells as a luxury sports car with leather interior that will take you to a historic hotel in Wien. It smells as that hotel lobby with wooden panels and leather armchairs and wool carpets. It smells as fine cologne of the gentlemen and ladies in the hotel lobby are using. It smells as refinement, luxury and old money.

It smells as one fine Sunday morning you spend with your family in a nice retreat.

It smells of good days and good memories.

It smells of the good things that will come.

Last edited:

ToughCool

More Cool Than Tough
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
Not a fan of this at all. Not long into the fragrance journey on here I got a sample decant. I kept trying it but it was not leather as I imagined. I kept getting told it was more a rich, polished leather than a suede. That’s the issue, it just smells of headache inducing, polish…not leather. Add in the floral and it was a mess. This is one where, over the years, I just had to resign myself that it wasn’t for me or something I’d ever get. It’s awesome that others love it. I just can’t even get to a lukewarm.

sagebrush

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 20, 2017
I'm guessing Knize (an Austrian house) fragrances are far more expensive to buy across the Atlantic, and your choice of bottle sizes is smaller. In Europe, they are more available and affordable.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...