King C Gillette DE Razor

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
Hi Everyone,
I bought a King C Gillette DE Razor some days back. It is closed comb and looks very nice, with a long partly knurled handle, and comes with five DE blades.

When I went to use it, I put my favourite blade into it - a Dorco Stainless steel - and proceeded to shave.
it was hopeless - it wouldn't shave close enough, which left me extremely puzzled, since the Dorco blades work well in my Merkur 33, Jagger 87, Jagger 89, Gillette Tech, Gillette Superspeed and assorted others.

So tonight I instead put in a King C Gillette DE razor blade that came in the packet, shaved again, and it worked fine.

Which leads me to conclude that this razor is a fairly mild razor, since it doesn't work properly with the Dorco blade - which I'd class as having mid-range sharpness (like say Lord blades). For comparison, I need to have about two shaves with a Gillette 7 O'Clock blade before it is blunted down to the same sharpness as a new Dorco blade. Or about seven shaves with an Astra SP.

I've noticed that a lot of the newer DE blades in sample packs out now seem to be a lot sharper than what was around in the sample packs of a decade ago (gauging by the nicks they give me). I suspect this razor is made to work well with blades at the sharpest end of the spectrum.

Has anybody else used this razor?
Regards,
Renato

P.S. After using the King C razor with a King C Blade a few times, I feel that with that blade, the razor doesn't shave close enough. I had to use my much sharper Feather blade to get a close comfortable shave.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021
The King C. Gillette is the first DE razor I owned. Having no clue at all about wet shaving (I had only electric shavers before) the complete shaving set with the razor at less than 30€ seemed like a really good deal.
I have to say the face wash and razor do work well. However the shaving gel is really awkward for me and I stopped using it as soon as I got my hands on a good shaving creme.

I have switched to a Mühle razor now, but I put the KCG in a travel case along with a Mühle travel brush, a set of KCG blades and a mini-container with some soft shaving soap. All of that fits in a small container that I can throw in my bag when I travel.

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
The King C. Gillette is the first DE razor I owned. Having no clue at all about wet shaving (I had only electric shavers before) the complete shaving set with the razor at less than 30€ seemed like a really good deal.
I have to say the face wash and razor do work well. However the shaving gel is really awkward for me and I stopped using it as soon as I got my hands on a good shaving creme.

I have switched to a Mühle razor now, but I put the KCG in a travel case along with a Mühle travel brush, a set of KCG blades and a mini-container with some soft shaving soap. All of that fits in a small container that I can throw in my bag when I travel.
Interesting thanks. I haven't tried their shaving gel, but am unsurprised as I find that in general most shaving gels more often than not, to be inferior to most shaving creams (with exceptions of course).

I don't own a Muhle. What did you like better about it than the King G?
Cheers,
Renato

Oct 22, 2021
I like the wooden handle on the Mühle Rytmo better both in shape and grip. When wet the King C handle has just a tiny bit of slip to it which makes me grab slightly harder and makes motions a little more awkward. To be honest though those differences are so minute that it really doesn't matter for the functionality.
For pure cut-ability and how clean of a shave you can get, it doesn't really matter which one I use. The heads are identical in shape so the aggressiveness is mostly identical. The only other difference is weight, but I haven't found it to make any substantial difference.

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
I like the wooden handle on the Mühle Rytmo better both in shape and grip. When wet the King C handle has just a tiny bit of slip to it which makes me grab slightly harder and makes motions a little more awkward. To be honest though those differences are so minute that it really doesn't matter for the functionality.
For pure cut-ability and how clean of a shave you can get, it doesn't really matter which one I use. The heads are identical in shape so the aggressiveness is mostly identical. The only other difference is weight, but I haven't found it to make any substantial difference.
Thanks for that.
Be careful to check out knurls on any other razor handle that you consider, because I have a few that are far more slippery than the King C handle.
Cheers,
Renato

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .