Just received 2 classy frags: Or Encens and Al Haramain Amber Oud Rouge

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
Just received these about 1/2 hour ago. The Issey Miyake Or Encens is really quite nice and had me at first spray. There's something "familiar" about it, but I can't quite put my nose on it. It's not a screamer and the rose doesn't dominate, both pluses in my book. Looking forward to giving it a full wear.

The Al Haramain Amber Oud Rouge is the latest in their "Amber Oud" range. For those who already know, the qualities of these compared to the scents they're based on is pretty darn high, especially for the price point. Many actually prefer the original (or now "Tobacco Edition") to Tobacco Vanille. I'd say it's about 95% there. Rouge is apparently their latest in the line and I've only found it on one site (frangrancebuy.ca). It's their version of Baccarat Rouge 540, which I've admittedly never sniffed (it's not been anywhere around my current dwellings) - but if the quality is on par with the original, I can't imagine this being too far off. I do get saffron on top along with a salty, ambergris type accord which grows sweeter and woodier. Very hard to describe, but smells fantastic. Very multi-faceted and exudes some class in its own right without being stuffy (in fact, seems like it might be somewhat versatile, though maybe not so much in the heat.)

Looking forward to giving them both a proper wearing.

IMG_2112.jpg

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Re: Just received 2 classy frags: Or Encens and Al Haramain Amber Our Rouge

Congrats on the Or Encens! Happen to love this one also.

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
Thanks, all. I did read up on BR540 and am smelling the same things others are there with cotton candy, nutty accord (almond), etc. I'll have to get a sample and compare the two. Very different fragrance.

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
For those who may be interested, I found one review on YouTube from a reviewer who has both AHAO Rouge and BR540, saying the former is "very, very, very close to the original." Good to know! Still need to order a sample of BR540.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
For those who may be interested, I found one review on YouTube from a reviewer who has both AHAO Rouge and BR540, saying the former is "very, very, very close to the original." Good to know! Still need to order a sample of BR540.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Having at least one store that sells BR540 and also provides testing/sampling possibilities for this where I live, while Al Haramain goes even stronger in my entire country, with both full bottles and samples abundant and inexpensive both online and increasingly offline, will try to compare these two (nearly) side by side and find out if there are any conclusions, impressions and/or opinions worth further perspectives, discussions and posts here on BN.

zerofox

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 31, 2020
Al Haramain Amber Oud Rouge
Purchased: September 2020
Merchant: Fragrancenet.com
Price Paid: $59 with 35% discount code met free ship minimum ($59)
Volume: 60 ml
Packaging: Thick glass with dense metal cap set in clamshell box. Shrink wrap over box.
Shipping experience: 3-5 business days

Thoughts: Below is the Amber Oud Rouge bottle side-by-side with a 50 ml Thameen for material and volume comparison. It almost looks to me as if there might be more than the listed 60 ml? Of course most will want to know if this is a convincing BR 540 clone. Depends. Amber Oud Rouge is definitely in the same zip code but I can’t say I would characterize it as a percentage match. How I would describe Amber Oud Rouge’s impression of BR 540 EDP is more akin to the ultimate tribute band. I do not think it comes close to the extrait. The impression in the first hour or two of Amber Oud Rouge tracks closely to the EDP based on the sample 540 EDP I bought directly from MFK.

Caveats: I am not enamored with BR 540 overall, never have been, and when I do wear it (and I do) I prefer the extrait which was my first 540 experience and default point of reference. Add a heavy dose of skepticism to my thoughts on BR 540 in EDP, its EDP tributes and clones. I think where and when available Al Haramain Amber Oud Rouge is an admirable budget-friendly impression. Please note that on Al Haramain website this product is not sold; instead look for Manege Rouge. I would speculate that either I got a higher quality fake or the run of this product was limited or discontinued to bring on Manege Rouge.

Bottom Line: $59 free ship. 3-5 business days. Substantial glass/metal housing and cap. 60 ml BR 540 EDP Jedi mind trick.

View attachment 134402 View attachment 134403 View attachment 134404

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
Al Haramain Amber Oud Rouge
Purchased: September 2020
Merchant: Fragrancenet.com
Price Paid: $59 with 35% discount code met free ship minimum ($59)
Volume: 60 ml
Packaging: Thick glass with dense metal cap set in clamshell box. Shrink wrap over box.
Shipping experience: 3-5 business days

Thoughts: Below is the Amber Oud Rouge bottle side-by-side with a 50 ml Thameen for material and volume comparison. It almost looks to me as if there might be more than the listed 60 ml? Of course most will want to know if this is a convincing BR 540 clone. Depends. Amber Oud Rouge is definitely in the same zip code but I can’t say I would characterize it as a percentage match. How I would describe Amber Oud Rouge’s impression of BR 540 EDP is more akin to the ultimate tribute band. I do not think it comes close to the extrait. The impression in the first hour or two of Amber Oud Rouge tracks closely to the EDP based on the sample 540 EDP I bought directly from MFK.

Caveats: I am not enamored with BR 540 overall, never have been, and when I do wear it (and I do) I prefer the extrait which was my first 540 experience and default point of reference. Add a heavy dose of skepticism to my thoughts on BR 540 in EDP, its EDP tributes and clones. I think where and when available Al Haramain Amber Oud Rouge is an admirable budget-friendly impression. Please note that on Al Haramain website this product is not sold; instead look for Manege Rouge. I would speculate that either I got a higher quality fake or the run of this product was limited or discontinued to bring on Manege Rouge.

Bottom Line: $59 free ship. 3-5 business days. Substantial glass/metal housing and cap. 60 ml BR 540 EDP Jedi mind trick.

View attachment 134402 View attachment 134403 View attachment 134404

Nice little write up! I still haven't tried any variations of the BR 540 yet, so I'm not sure how well it does (or doesn't) compare, personally. The Amber Oud Rouge was just released a few months ago and isn't in many of the directories yet, so I'm sure yours is legit. Al Haramain has a knack for creating similar scents and releasing them in different names/bottles, which sounds the case with Manege Rouge. Not sure why that is, if they're intended for different markets or not, but they've fumbled the Amber Oud from the start with releasing two completely different fragrances under the same name (which necessitated their releasing a "Tobacco Edition," as some were an Interlude inspired variation and others Tobacco Vanille. Some people think they're strictly a clone house, but they've been around for 50 years and their exclusive/prestige stuff has been top notch (the prestige line apparently, and sadly, discontinued.)

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
Great! Waiting for your Or Encens review.

I've only really worn it once as it arrived in the spring. It opens very heavy and deep, kind of reminiscent of hour Dior Homme Parfum opens; you get that sense of "heaviness" and depth to it, like you're pulling a weighted blanket over you. Very dark, gothic opening with heavy incense and rose that gradually eases up a bit. I think aside from the time of year, I've only worn it once because it's hard to pin an occasion to wear this. Vampire slaying? Exorcisms? It's definitely a nice scent and I look forward to the winter months when I know I'll feel much more comfortable reaching for it.

RichMan'sOldSpice

Jan 12, 2015
Quote Originally Posted by sabai View Post
Great! Waiting for your Or Encens review.

I've only really worn it once as it arrived in the spring. It opens very heavy and deep, kind of reminiscent of hour Dior Homme Parfum opens; you get that sense of "heaviness" and depth to it, like you're pulling a weighted blanket over you. Very dark, gothic opening with heavy incense and rose that gradually eases up a bit. I think aside from the time of year, I've only worn it once because it's hard to pin an occasion to wear this. Vampire slaying? Exorcisms? It's definitely a nice scent and I look forward to the winter months when I know I'll feel much more comfortable reaching for it.

Or Encens sounds like one of the most interesting fragrances yet from Issey Miyake. Definitely sounds like a cooler weather beast.

Latest News