Joop Homme vintage vs current version

jonnyv

Basenotes Junkie
Sep 6, 2012
I smelt the latest version yesterday at a local store and both me and my partner agreed it doesn't smell like it used to.
But I've just bought a bottle of the 2nd formulation after returning my fake bottle last week.
Hope this one is real and smells better than the latest formulation which is awful.

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
I smelt the latest version yesterday at a local store and both me and my partner agreed it doesn't smell like it used to.
But I've just bought a bottle of the 2nd formulation after returning my fake bottle last week.
Hope this one is real and smells better than the latest formulation which is awful.

Imo the best version and to my nose it has a nice sandalwood-tobacco drydown and smells more masculine than the original and latest incarnation.
Got two 30ml bottles with ''Homme'' written above Joop! without the ''flower''-symbol. Excellent stuff with two sprays!

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
Ok, now I'm confused.
Seller has provided me with pics of bottom of bottle and box and both codes match but I was expecting to see Lancaster on bottle bit instead saw Coty.
Bottle with homme above joop.

Either a fake or a transtition bottle from (about) 2007.........
75ml or 125ml?

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
You can go for it and ask a refund when it is a fake or Coty version (explain him you want a genuine Lancaster bottle only).
As you know the smell of the current you will immediately find out if it is or not!

Good luck and let us know!

Last edited:

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
Looks ok, but cannot read Lancaster on the box package (not even enlarged) nor can I read the bottom of the bottle.

jonnyv

Basenotes Junkie
Sep 6, 2012
So after finding a genuine bottle of 2nd formulation I've been on a quest to get the original and ive just bought a part used bottle of the original formulation.

I know it's been described as 'loud and screechy' but I was wondering if that was part of its distinctive character?

Has it been toned down in later formulations?

Thanks

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
So after finding a genuine bottle of 2nd formulation I've been on a quest to get the original and ive just bought a part used bottle of the original formulation.

I know it's been described as 'loud and screechy' but I was wondering if that was part of its distinctive character?

Has it been toned down in later formulations?

Thanks

I would just stick to the 2nd formulation but to answer your question; yes it has been toned down in later formulations but more important (as said in earlier posts) the depth is less as well in the latest formulations ('Homme' written below on bottle). The main difference between the first and 2nd formulation is that 2nd being less screechy and goes quicker into the beautiful drydown, if applied lightly that is. The original screams for attention for a too long time before settling imo. Longevity of both is 12-24 hrs depending on application and sillage above average for sure.

jonnyv

Basenotes Junkie
Sep 6, 2012
I would just stick to the 2nd formulation but to answer your question; yes it has been toned down in later formulations but more important (as said in earlier posts) the depth is less as well in the latest formulations ('Homme' written below on bottle). The main difference between the first and 2nd formulation is that 2nd being less screechy and goes quicker into the beautiful drydown, if applied lightly that is. The original screams for attention for a too long time before settling imo. Longevity of both is 12-24 hrs depending on application and sillage above average for sure.

Im happy with the 2nd formulation, and I got the first formulation bottle for cheap.
Just curious to try it out and if it's screechy, load and obnoxious then ill just sell it on.

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
Im happy with the 2nd formulation, and I got the first formulation bottle for cheap.
Just curious to try it out and if it's screechy, load and obnoxious then ill just sell it on.

Ok, great! Let us know about what you think are the differences between first and second:eek:

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
I only have a very little left of my Joop!. It's a 2.5mil . Mine is the one with HOMME written above JOOP!. Because my bottle is so low in juice I ordered one from Target. They have discounted items , some decent , some not. When I got it i tried it. I thought something was wrong , for it was different , or at least it seemed it. This was before I knew about all the reformulations . So I sent it back with no problems from Target. I also sent back the Rochas , the sugared one. It was pure alcohol when you sprayed it on and didn't last. That was to bad, for the little bit I got from it was decent. Anyways, I like the JOOP! I still have better. It seems thicker and lasts a long , long time. It's still synthetic , and one spray for me works. I was just smelling the sprayer. After all these years it's still very nice.

jonnyv

Basenotes Junkie
Sep 6, 2012
I only have a very little left of my Joop!. It's a 2.5mil . Mine is the one with HOMME written above JOOP!. Because my bottle is so low in juice I ordered one from Target. They have discounted items , some decent , some not. When I got it i tried it. I thought something was wrong , for it was different , or at least it seemed it. This was before I knew about all the reformulations . So I sent it back with no problems from Target. I also sent back the Rochas , the sugared one. It was pure alcohol when you sprayed it on and didn't last. That was to bad, for the little bit I got from it was decent. Anyways, I like the JOOP! I still have better. It seems thicker and lasts a long , long time. It's still synthetic , and one spray for me works. I was just smelling the sprayer. After all these years it's still very nice.

And that's the reason i wanted an original formulation of joop.
You noticed a difference from your bottle to the new stuff.
So i think it's safe to assume it wasn't the fragrance created by Michel Almairac.

Last edited:

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
I would say so. Which gives credence to buying bigger bottles of your favorite ones, but I still like getting the smaller bottles. Sometimes you can find fragrances at tag sales, estate sales. I got a bottle of Hermes Vert d Orange for $20 at my friends vintage shop.It's still good. It must have been well kept. Keep looking, you'll find it.

SmellyFinger

Basenotes Dependent
May 21, 2014
Okay so I never owned or even smelled Joop Homme before. Polo, Fahrenheit, and Obsession yes. Joop No. So I thought it would be interesting if I could find a bottle at a deal. So This is a BNIB, never been sprayed, never been primed, bottle. I am wearing Dior Homme Parfum today, so I am not wearing Joop today. I sprayed this on a card before i left the house and will give it a test run tomorrow. Do these have batch codes? I only see a UPC code on the bottom.

IMG_20161027_125335_1.jpg .

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
Okay so I never owned or even smelled Joop Homme before. Polo, Fahrenheit, and Obsession yes. Joop No. So I thought it would be interesting if I could find a bottle at a deal. So This is a BNIB, never been sprayed, never been primed, bottle. I am wearing Dior Homme Parfum today, so I am not wearing Joop today. I sprayed this on a card before i left the house and will give it a test run tomorrow. Do these have batch codes? I only see a UPC code on the bottom.

View attachment 56991 .

Can you show a pic of the bottle bottom maybe?

SmellyFinger

Basenotes Dependent
May 21, 2014
that's a great find !

Bottle should have a batch number on the label on bottom of bottle. early ones have blue ink (I think) and mine has a ten digit batch code printed in black, numbers are made up of dots rather than solid print.

Yes. It has a long number in black ink that matches the box. Check fresh did not recognize it. Looks like an original and I was curious if there it was from the 1990s.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you show a pic of the bottle bottom maybe?
Sure. I will try to get a good pic off my crappy camera.

SmellyFinger

Basenotes Dependent
May 21, 2014
Yeah and (Smellyfinger) plz also tell us or show if the sprayer has the flower symbol on top or not?
Yes. I the flower is on the top of the sprayer. And it is on 3 places on the box. The top, the inner flap, and the top putter flap. The juice color is also lighter than the more recent formulation. I have heard that the fakes are 4.2 and the juice color is darker and the cap does not have the inner fins and is smooth inside the cap.

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
Yes. I the flower is on the top of the sprayer. And it is on 3 places on the box. The top, the inner flap, and the top putter flap. The juice color is also lighter than the more recent formulation. I have heard that the fakes are 4.2 and the juice color is darker and the cap does not have the inner fins and is smooth inside the cap.

Unfortunately there are also 75ml fakes of original formulation.

SmellyFinger

Basenotes Dependent
May 21, 2014
Yeah and (Smellyfinger) plz also tell us or show if the sprayer has the flower symbol on top or not?

It has 5 flowers on the box in various locations
Sprayer has the engraved flower on top
no spelling errors as "que par les depositaires agrees" is properly spaced and hyphenated
fins on inside of cap
Circle inside cap
straw is white/clear

sorry for the crap photos

View attachment 57040

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!
Try also http://www.checkcosmetics.net/ for the batch code!

Thanks

My code is g20157586787. and i think they repeat every ten years. I forgot to put in the "g2" when I checked earlier, as those are to the left on the box and I did not think they were part of the code.

7/2012
7/2002
7/1992

See new pics in post #70 below.

Last edited:

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
It has 5 flowers on the box in various locations
Sprayer has the engraved flower on top
no spelling errors as "que par les depositaires agrees" is properly spaced and hyphenated
fins on inside of cap
Circle inside cap
straw is white/clear

sorry for the crap photos

View attachment 57040 View attachment 57041

Thanks!
Can you perhaps also try to make a sharp pic of the sticker on the bottom of the bottle?

SmellyFinger

Basenotes Dependent
May 21, 2014
Thanks!
Can you perhaps also try to make a sharp pic of the sticker on the bottom of the bottle?

Thats the best one I can get off this camera. i will have a better phone on sunday, so I can post clearer photos. This camera is like taking a pic thru a f@cking windshield during the rain...

- - - Updated - - -

My bottle is identical to the one in this thread that mesaboogie has on the left. same info on the same lines. i Have an additional last line that has a reference number on it " REF 004 200"

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/41...t-logo-fonts?p=3854607&viewfull=1#post3854607

attachment.php

Last edited:

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
Mine doesn't have a batch code either .It also doesn't have the little hat , or whatever is above the Homme. Mine has Homme above the Joop ! . What it does have is a sticker on the bottom with Parfums Joop ! Paris. The whole 2.5 Fl Oz . Then there is a empty space .Then , Dist. Coty Prestige LLC New York N.Y.10016. Made In/Fabrique En France .I got mine in a box set , if I remember correctly. The bottle that I sent back had Homme written underneath Joop! I like the one with the Homme written on top much better. It just seemed thicker . The one with the Homme written underneath Joop!, well , seemed thinner. I will be interested in what you find with yours.

- - - Updated - - -

The make fakes of JOOP! . I didn't know that. Can't you buy this stuff for next to nothing . I got mine as a Christmas present years ago from my sister .Every year I would get cologne from her and my mother.

SmellyFinger

Basenotes Dependent
May 21, 2014
Smells real! Not as sweet as I imagined. 2 sprays and its a woody, cinammon, with some grape or black cherry in the background. I was expecting sugary.syrupy sweetnes, but it was a bit restrained with the sweetness. Sure its a bit synthetic closeup, Yet when it hits the air and travels the ladies seem to like this. But only with some self restraint. 2 sprays. Done!

duckdown

Basenotes Member
Dec 6, 2012
Hey guys, found this thread because I'm seeking out a bottle of Vintage Joop, a scent I grew up with in high school and has very strong memories associated with it.

My search turned up this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OLD...299875?hash=item210f945423:g:9xQAAOSwd0BV5gvf

With more than 10 available, 7 sold, and 99% positive feedback, I'm not sure what to make of it.

Pictures do not describe or show the sprayer, however the bottle has the flower on top and says Lancaster which APPEARS proper from what I can tell.

Any quick responses on this would be great, I want my wife to order this for me for Christmas lol

Thanks very much in advance guys. Cheers!

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
Hey guys, found this thread because I'm seeking out a bottle of Vintage Joop, a scent I grew up with in high school and has very strong memories associated with it.

My search turned up this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OLD...299875?hash=item210f945423:g:9xQAAOSwd0BV5gvf

With more than 10 available, 7 sold, and 99% positive feedback, I'm not sure what to make of it.

Pictures do not describe or show the sprayer, however the bottle has the flower on top and says Lancaster which APPEARS proper from what I can tell.

Any quick responses on this would be great, I want my wife to order this for me for Christmas lol

Thanks very much in advance guys. Cheers!

Hey, check out Fragrancenet . They have a gift set/box set , for I believe $31. It has a 4.2oz with a smaller bottle of aftershave . The picture shows the bottle having the Homme on top. It's worth a look see if anything.

duckdown

Basenotes Member
Dec 6, 2012
Hey, check out Fragrancenet . They have a gift set/box set , for I believe $31. It has a 4.2oz with a smaller bottle of aftershave . The picture shows the bottle having the Homme on top. It's worth a look see if anything.

Thanks so much for your quick reply - does it have the flower at the top though? I slightly disagree with the other posters above that the second revision, with Homme at the top and no flower is best. I disagree, and have this one already, and still prefer the original

Thanks mate

Slayerized

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 17, 2011
The one showed on your ebay link are for sure real as they never faked these in tester form as far as I know! (it also says 'Demonstration' on the bottle below and bottom of bottle on the sticker) which indicated for me that is 100% genuine. Besides, I also do not think a seller would like to lose his 99%+ score on some fake Joop's! :wink:
I'd go for it if you want the original vintage!

Last edited:

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
Thanks so much for your quick reply - does it have the flower at the top though? I slightly disagree with the other posters above that the second revision, with Homme at the top and no flower is best. I disagree, and have this one already, and still prefer the original

Thanks mate

I don't believe it has the flower. I never had the chance to try the original flowered one. There is a difference between the new stuff Joop has out and the one with Homme on the top. I do like the one with Homme on top much better .

bictor

Basenotes Member
Jul 9, 2013
Vintage Joop Homme 90 version
NEW YORK, N.Y. 10017 .....10017??

1 spray...a BOMB!!
ABSOLUTELY ORIGINAL
FOUND IN AN OLD PHARMACY IN SANTIAGO - CHILE

Sticker
DIST.: LANCASTER US INC.,
NEW YORK, N.Y. 10017

No written LLC in sticker.

REGARDS

Attachments

• DSC00585 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00585 (800x600).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC00587 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00587 (800x600).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC00588 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00588 (800x600).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC00589 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00589 (800x600).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC00591.jpg
    DSC00591.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC00592 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC00592 (1280x960).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC00595 (960x1280).jpg
    DSC00595 (960x1280).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC00594 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC00594 (1280x960).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC00584 (600x800).jpg
    DSC00584 (600x800).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...