Jasmine Absolute to Sandalwood/Oud Ratio

sandaloud

Jun 7, 2022
Hi guys,

I want to try my hand at fragrance making. I don't want to buy too many ingredients right off the bat, so I want to keep things simple. If I want to make a simple attar/mukhallat, what is the correct ratio of jasmine absolute to sandalwood or oud oil? Also, this is kind of a secondary question, but what if I wanted to add an additional ingredient like bergamot or vanilla?

Thank you for your help

Mr.P

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 6, 2015
If you think about it, your question really cannot be answered.

That’s like asking “what is the proper ratio of garlic and onions in food” or “what is the proper ratio of red and yellow paint in a painting”.

What kind of answer could anyone give?

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Hi guys,

I want to try my hand at fragrance making. I don't want to buy too many ingredients right off the bat, so I want to keep things simple. If I want to make a simple attar/mukhallat, what is the correct ratio of jasmine absolute to sandalwood or oud oil? Also, this is kind of a secondary question, but what if I wanted to add an additional ingredient like bergamot or vanilla?

Thank you for your help
I’m not sure why no one offered you ANY kind of help but the thing to remember is that jasmine absolute is really strong. Like REALLY strong. If you want to make a simple jasmine Scent that is lightly floral and still woody, I’d honestly take 3ml’s of Sandal and put a single drop of jasmine in the mix.

Wait at least a week before adding more as jasmine can easily overtake the sandalwood.

If you’re just trying to make simple Mulkullats experimenting is your best friend. Just remember to go little by little. Drop by drop.

Abdullah from Mellifluence perfumes on YouTube has a really good tutorial on how to make a complete Attar. It’s pretty simple, fun and easy to do with a little imagination.

If you want to add secondary materials to go for it. The best thing to do is create little sample trials with different ratios of materials and experiment finding which ratios you like the most.

Case in point:

Sandalwood 3
Jasmine 2
Vanilla 1

Kind of like that. Is this proper French perfumery techniques? No not at all but it doesn’t seem like that’s what you’re trying to do either.

Rai Munir

Mar 21, 2017
Well, if Jasmine Sambac is from Eden Botanicals, I would suggest the following:
2.5g Sandal
0.5g Oud Hindi Traditional
0.3g Jasmine Sambac

Blending Bergamot might be catastrophic for the blend, in my opinion.

Latest News