January Scent Projects

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
My bottle of OJIIM finally arrived in its custom painted wooden box. John is an incredibly thoughtful perfumer and artist. He’s so true to his own vision while being curious about others’ work. I truly hope he keeps creating... I truly believe there will be a tipping point for him where he’s recognized as one of the great contemporary perfumers.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
My bottle of OJIIM finally arrived in its custom painted wooden box. John is an incredibly thoughtful perfumer and artist. He’s so true to his own vision while being curious about others’ work. I truly hope he keeps creating... I truly believe there will be a tipping point for him where he’s recognized as one of the great contemporary perfumers.

Yeah I feel like, looking at his attention to detail and packaging he is up there with Tauer and Aftel.

SubUmbra

Basenotes Junkie
Jul 9, 2018
I'm greatly looking forward to John's next creation, Gong.

Here's what JSP has shared on its Instagram:

Fruit and green musk fragrance:
Lime, Bergamot, Blueberry, Galanga, Ginger, Violet, Daikon radish, Green pepper, Musk, Amber, Sandalwood, Leather

gong1.jpg

gong2.jpg

As usual, the presentation is beautiful, but it's interesting to see such a blush color in a JSP bottle. I know John has been tinkering towards a "cool musk"-type fragrance -- and with the unique additions of blueberry and Daikon radish, we're surely in for something interesting from Gong.

Samples apparently available very soon.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015

Lime, Bergamot, Blueberry, Galanga, Ginger, Violet, Daikon radish, Green pepper, Musk, Amber, Sandalwood, Leather

View attachment 159941

View attachment 159942

As usual, the presentation is beautiful, but it's interesting to see such a blush color in a JSP bottle. I know John has been tinkering towards a "cool musk"-type fragrance -- and with the unique additions of blueberry and Daikon radish, we're surely in for something interesting from Gong.

Samples apparently available very soon.

I can see and hear the marketing for this one in my head right now!

The 1970’s song by T Rex…”Get it on! Bang a GONG…get it on”! Probably cost John some money to use the song, but if it sold more bottles, it might be worth it!

The visuals would be important. When the song says, “Get it on”, the visual would be of spraying Gong onto skin…you could do some brilliant visuals with this one. A bottle of Gong crashing into a gong would also look very cool.

SubUmbra

Basenotes Junkie
Jul 9, 2018
I can see and hear the marketing for this one in my head right now!

The 1970’s song by T Rex…”Get it on! Bang a GONG…get it on”! Probably cost John some money to use the song, but if it sold more bottles, it might be worth it!

The visuals would be important. When the song says, “Get it on”, the visual would be of spraying Gong onto skin…you could do some brilliant visuals with this one. A bottle of Gong crashing into a gong would also look very cool.

Well he did create some music to accompany this release, but it's not quite the same genre as T Rex :thumbsup:

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

Those notes sound fantastic -- all except green pepper. I detest the smell (and the taste) of green pepper. I'll be looking for early reviews in this thread to learn how prominent that note is in the overall composition.

I've gone through two discovery sets from JSP, and given away two others as gifts, and I've found every one of Biebel's perfumes to be creative, thoughtful, and interesting. But so far I haven't found that one that seemed so ultimately wearable and compelling that I had to have a full bottle.

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
Just released - a new video of Galen about JSP in which John Biebel discusses his inspiration and the creative process of the new fragrance Gong.
I pasted several times links to Galen's videos in various threads. No... I'm not biased, it's just that his channel is simply great, sometimes funny, sometimes educative, sometimes very relaxing, sometimes just like a podcast. Judge by yourself:

Galen also previously released a long interview of John Biebel in 2 parts, that one can find HERE and HERE.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Just released - a new video of Galen about JSP in which John Biebel discusses his inspiration and the creative process of the new fragrance Gong.
I pasted several times links to Galen's videos in various threads. No... I'm not biased, it's just that his channel is simply great, sometimes funny, sometimes educative, sometimes very relaxing, sometimes just like a podcast. Judge by yourself:

Galen also previously released a long interview of John Biebel in 2 parts, that one can find HERE and HERE.

thank you -- I like Galen's channel too.

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
thank you -- I like Galen's channel too.

Good job by Galen. Really professional.

Yes, indeed. Some of his videos are flirting with professional-grade. And the content is great.

just ordered a FB. I have all of John Biebel's work and love it.

Looking forward to hear your impressions!
I have smelt nearly everything of JSP, and while all where not fbw for my tastes, they are all extremely unique, and unsmelt before. The kind of creativity that we need more of.

johngreenink

Basenotes Member
Oct 10, 2011
Greetings folks - visiting the new layout. Thanks to all for following along over the past few months as the new release has come out along with Galen's short film and some other interesting developments. I also wanted to share that, along with the most recent perfume release, I made a music release (as well) as a kind of accompaniment to the fragrance Gong, although it can be listened to as its own entity. It's available on most streaming platforms (Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc)
as a digital release, and will be available as a vinyl record in about a month or two. There will also be a limited fragrance release later this year and some additional projects coming up in 2022. Again, a grateful bow for the support.

GongCoverMaskElectronic.jpg

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Greetings folks - visiting the new layout. Thanks to all for following along over the past few months as the new release has come out along with Galen's short film and some other interesting developments. I also wanted to share that, along with the most recent perfume release, I made a music release (as well) as a kind of accompaniment to the fragrance Gong, although it can be listened to as its own entity. It's available on most streaming platforms (Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc)
as a digital release, and will be available as a vinyl record in about a month or two. There will also be a limited fragrance release later this year and some additional projects coming up in 2022. Again, a grateful bow for the support.

View attachment 171266
sounds good :0

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
Sounds great! And good timing, as Gong is my scent of the day... a great great fragrance!! With your playlist, it smells even better!
I requested for it to be inserted in the database. Thanks for your great work!

Last edited:

strifeknot

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 28, 2008
A new limited edtion from JSP. Samples available now, full bottles for sale Dec. 10. These notes sound perfect.
ATTAUPE:

A limited edition for 2021, Attaupe is a lavender and tobacco syrup concept perfume made in a small batch of 50 bottles with approximately 60 2.5 ml samples available. The fragrance is created through the use of some special antique oils, including a 75 year old black locust tree blossom perfume accord, a 100 year old bergamot oil, and similarly aged Siberian Pine and Eugenol (from clove) oil. They have been combined with vanilla, tea CO2 extract, sandalwood, blond tobacco, lavender absolute, cypriol, carrot seed, black currant, labdanum, and dark patchouli. It’s a very “thick” and syrup-like perfume, inspired by the concept of colors that have been shifted back and forth across the neutral spectrum, where beige, taupe, and grey have small bits of other colors added into them to enrich them. These subtle colorations barely register on an “official” color wheel, but are full of subtle emotive power. They are the colors of subdued, voiceless sensations. It’s also the color palette of the 1930s and the dimmed view of expectations as the world emerged from an economic downturn.

The project includes a special card with photo image taken from a Holga camera (a 2.25 in / 110 mm physical format film negative.) It’s enclosed in a box that’s covered with original screen-printed artwork. The bottle is held by a hand-sewn wool plaid cushion. The edition is numbered and signed.

Attaupe will be available as samples on November 30th, and the finished bottles will go on sale approximately 10 days after that. News of the sale will be announced on Instagram and by email. Thank you for your interest in this project.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
A new limited edtion from JSP. Samples available now, full bottles for sale Dec. 10. These notes sound perfect.
Ordered a sample last night, looking forward to giving it a sniff.

And I had to pinch myself - samples of a LE available well before full bottles are released? Thought I was dreaming. A real class act, this Biebel guy.

Shadowartisttxl

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 25, 2016
Ordered a sample last night, looking forward to giving it a sniff.

And I had to pinch myself - samples of a LE available well before full bottles are released? Thought I was dreaming. A real class act, this Biebel guy.
Agreed.
John has made at the very least one of the most legendary indie/niche fragrances of all time which imho goes right up there with LdDM as far as its iconic status and quality goes.
And to make matters better, he's so freaking kind, generous, responsive and fun.
What a great guy.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Agreed.
John has made at the very least one of the most legendary indie/niche fragrances of all time which imho goes right up there with LdDM as far as its iconic status and quality goes.
And to make matters better, he's so freaking kind, generous, responsive and fun.
What a great guy.
Which fragrance are you alluding to @Shadowartisttxl

Burvuvu is a masterpiece to me.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Wearing Attaupe at the moment, so far so good!

Immediate overall impression is of sarsaparilla. Kind of rooty, herbal, and slightly floral in the opening, but to me the overarching texture is a fizzy, bracing aromatic quality (I assume lavender is driving that). In case that makes it sound weird, I find it cozy and easy to wear. There's a nice contrast of cool and warm working here. I like it.

Jul 4, 2014
Just got my Attaupe sample, definitely interesting.

I’m getting some savory/rooty quality that’s very reminiscent of serin but with an almost milky-smooth lavender in place of that ones tagetes overload. The tobacco almost reminds me of the tobacco from LITA, that thin whispy cigarette smoke trail thing. It’s got that quality that a lot of the JSP scents have where up close they feel almost too dense to me but in a waft they really evolve and come to life.

There’s also a fleeting resemblance to Brain Dead’s Shroom Cola perfume, oddly. Maybe the earthy + soda vibe. Excited to hear more impressions of this one!

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I just ordered Attaupe—blind—along with 100ml Burvuvu and 30ml Eiderantler. Attaupe sold out in under ten minutes, although this may have been abetted by a glitch that had it listed at $0 instead of the correct $190. (No, John isn't sending it out for nothing because of the listing error.) The price should be posted correctly tomorrow for the second and final leg of the sale.

I'll post my thoughts about Attaupe here and/or in Sample of the Day. If it's not for me, I will be happy to resell it to a Basenoter for exactly what I paid—I don't believe in limited edition hoarding/gouging. But of course, I hope I like it!

strifeknot

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 28, 2008
Attaupe's drydown is one of the best I've ever smelled. It's intoxicating and strong without being cloying. My first wearing lasted over 24 hours because I kept putting off taking a shower; I couldn't stop pulling my shirt up over my nose to breathe in more of it.

Jul 4, 2014
Just scooped up my full bottle. Agree on the dry down, at first it seems like it should be dense or cloying but it’s extremely balanced and almost transparent in spite of how rich and deep it is. After a few wearings I suddenly became aware of the clove, which is perfectly balanced and gives it almost a slight le troisieme Homme sort of vibe.

Shadowartisttxl

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 25, 2016
I’m thirding the drydown- one of the best I’ve ever smelled as well - bought the sample and the bottle. The drydown is amazing amazing amazing

SubUmbra

Basenotes Junkie
Jul 9, 2018
Haven’t worn yet on skin, but on paper, the drydown reminds me of a couple from Slumberhouse. I know many of those commenting are fans of that house as well, so it’s interesting to see the reactions.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
I just ordered Attaupe—blind—along with 100ml Burvuvu and 30ml Eiderantler. Attaupe sold out in under ten minutes, although this may have been abetted by a glitch that had it listed at $0 instead of the correct $190. (No, John isn't sending it out for nothing because of the listing error.) The price should be posted correctly tomorrow for the second and final leg of the sale.

I'll post my thoughts about Attaupe here and/or in Sample of the Day. If it's not for me, I will be happy to resell it to a Basenoter for exactly what I paid—I don't believe in limited edition hoarding/gouging. But of course, I hope I like it!
congrats, great choices.

I bought a bottle of Attaupe as well, fortunately. I also find Gong extremely interesting and fun, and I love Horla. Even Serin is quite nice.

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
Those are the three I haven’t tried. I asked J. for samples if he includes them, but if not, I’ll order some down the road.
Serin - a beautiful yellow floral fragrance with incense and woods support. Possibly full bottle worthy for me

Gong - green/fruity/spicy/musky thing, very nice. Vetiver also probably plays an important role, imo. Reminded me of Verveine d’Eugène by Heeley, in its structure.

Horla - clearly an homage to Chanel No.5 (aldehydes/ylang/civet/musk). Personally not a fan of No.5, so it’ll be a hard pass for me. But for who is, it’s probably fbw.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...