ISO E Super after Moisturiser to Make Fragrance Long lasting ?

augustya

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 4, 2014
We all know that on a moist Skin the fragrance last more, so everyone keeps talking that maybe applying a scent less Moisturiser can go a long way in making your fragrance last longer. But I have also seen some YouTubers suggesting a kind of double layer before you apply your Fragrance. A Lot of YouTubers that I have come across suggest that first start with applying your normal moisturiser and then on top of that spray some ISO E Super like Molecule 01 from Escentric Molecules and then on top of that apply your Fragrance. Does anyone have any experience with this ? Have you guys found and noticed any added benefits after doing this ? Does your Fragrance becomes Majestic after doing this ? I think just applying a moisturise alone would do the trick then why use anything more ?

Do you guys have any experience on this ?

imm0rtelle

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 2, 2021
Iso E Super is dirt cheap. If the perfumer wanted to use more they would. I think that adding Iso E Super just makes you smell more of Iso E Super, and not the fragrance you're trying to increase in longevity.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
I've read that theory about ISO E Super and it is usually written in such a way to imply that it will "extend/enhance" the scent you are wearing.

I'm no scientist, but that makes no sense.

If I put on Chanel Allure Homme Eau Extreme and then layer on ISO E Super, it is not going to increase the scent of the Chanel. It is just adding its own scent to the mix of notes.

As it happens, ISO E Super is a mainstay ingredient and already in many, many scents. So in some cases, a layer of Molecule 01 is just bumping up a note which is already in the scent. And it's a nice smell.

There's noting wrong with doing it. But it poses a quirky query. If I layer Molecule 01 with a favorite scent to "extend" it and someone compliments me, are they complimenting the scent, or are they noticing the ISO E Super? If what they are noticing and complimenting is the smell of the ISO E Super, then what was the point of putting on the other scent. If I'm a fragbro who popped hundreds of dollars for that really" special batch of Aventus" and they are really complimening the ISO E Super, why did I spend big bucks on the Aventus?

Molecule 01 is a decent, but quirky scent on its own. The people at Lucky Scent tell me it's been a top seller for years on end. But it is notoriously often invisible to the wearer while people around you smell it and like it. A lot of people seem to like the sort of odd transparency of it. Like many Basenoters, wearing a scent that others like but I CAN'T smell feels super odd and frustrating.

I'm very open to be shouted down on this if one of the more scientific Basenoters has an alternate opinion. Does it bond and enhance other notes?

Wearing Molecule 01 right now. Can't smell it much at all.

I do agree that the unscented moisturizer will do more to extend the actual scent you are wearing.

Bmaster

Sep 24, 2021
A word of advice, Iso e may increase diffusion of a fragrance and would in theory add fixative effects if the cologne is top note heavy. However, it isn’t advised to use other aroma chemicals to prolong the effects of a fragrance, as iso e in this example will alter the overall aroma of the cologne and potentially unbalance the scent that the perfumer sought to establish. Your best bet is to use other well-known methods on these forums. Increasing longevity in a fragrance requires a plethora of perfuming experience and expertise.

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
Somebody should correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the way Iso E Super and other fixatives extend top notes is through chemical reactions that take place during maceration when the base notes and top notes bond together, i.e. chemical reactions that couldn't take place on your skin. I've never had luck in increasing the strength of a fragrance through layering, although I like the smell of Iso E Super so I do sometimes use it just as a bonus note. I bought my own from Perfumer's Apprentice and just mixed it with everclear.

D

Deleted member 26235100

That is also good idea, but first one needs to establish the fact that applying ISo E Super really does help in making the fragrance last longer

Because most of the guys here feel that an extra step is not needed after you apply moisturizer.

I think Iso E Super is snake oil. I don't believe it makes fragrances last longer. But many people in the fragrance community seem to think it does, and so I offer that to them as a suggestion.
Personally I don't like what Iso E Super is claimed to do to fragrance (it will give smoothness and help to soften a fragrance/giving a velvety effect)

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
I think Iso E Super is snake oil. I don't believe it makes fragrances last longer. But many people in the fragrance community seem to think it does, and so I offer that to them as a suggestion.
Personally I don't like what Iso E Super is claimed to do to fragrance (it will give smoothness and help to soften a fragrance/giving a velvety effect)

I would really recommend people buy a bit of iso e super and experiment themselves wearing it straight and mixing with essential oils. You get a much better sense of what it does that way - it does make things last longer abd smell smoother, but again it takes about two weeks for that synthesis to complete, so it’s not something you can just spray on to amp up the volume.

D

Deleted member 26235100

But doesn't it also ALTER the smell of the fragrance?

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
Yeah it alters the smell of whatever you mix it with. If you mix it with some essential oil you really get a sense of how it changes other scents. Hard to describe the effect but it’s definitely not just a performance booster.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...