Is there any fragrance that smells similar to Nivea cream in the blue jar/tin?

Makeup Maniac

Jan 1, 1970
I would really love to find something that smells like this. I did a little research online, not sure how accurate it is, but one source said Nivea cream notes are Bergamot, Lavender, Rose and Musk. I'm a big fan of those notes, so I guess I can see why I would like it. ;) Suggestions, anyone? Thanks.

tdi

Aug 5, 2006
Although it is not quite as subtle, Rochas Tocade reminds me of Nivea. I really had never correlated the two but as soon as I read this post the light bulb went on. They would be great to layer.

Makeup Maniac

Jan 1, 1970
Okay, I contacted Nivea by sending an email. Not really expecting much of a response, but we shall see.
On Nivea's site it states that Nivea creme was fragranced with mainly essential oils and has barely changed thru the years. It listed Lily of the valley (I'm a bit surprised, I don't really detect this, it usually gives me a headache), rose, violet, lilac, lavender, orange and lemon essences. Any fragrance have all these notes?
:p

tdi: I just discovered and purchased Tocade last year! I am going to try layering it with Nivea very soon. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited:

Asha

Jan 15, 2008
Violet, lilac and lily of the valley would all be synthetics since the blossoms do not produce essential oil in any great volume.

The notes are all very common--and I must admit I have never smelled the nivea cream. Sure is an interesting exercise to try and find a fragrance similar to it, though!

Makeup Maniac

Jan 1, 1970
Okay, I haven't heard back from Nivea. (Not sure I will). I was reading at MUA and someone there said Nikos Sculpture reminded them of Nivea cream/lotion in the blue jar/bottle. I have ordered a bottle unsniffed and will report back soon with my determination. :)

Wordbird

May 30, 2006
Luca Turin swears that if they released Dove edp it would be an instant hit.

I've just remembered how much I like the smell of Nivea. Mmmm.

Divatologist

Feb 4, 2007
Awwww man this is going to drive me nuts cause I use to layer Nivea with a perfume, but I can't remember what it was. Nivea was one of the 1st lotions I used to layer/alter my frags. I hate when I forget stuff lol. I know that it really was similar to Nivea and that's why I wore the 2 together. I don't think I have the perfume either. Hmmmmm

Nukapai

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2008
Do post in this thread if you find the answer :)

Neil Morris Le parfum d'Odette doesn't smell like Nivea, but it does make me think of a lovely old-fashioned face cream (specifically, now discontinued Christian Dior Icone very dry skin cream in a pink and white jar). And Asha said in her review "It smelled like the world's best vintage handcream--like something my grandmother had on her dresser, something I would sneak whiffs of, but never had the guts to sneak a little for my skin."

Asha

Jan 15, 2008
Nukapai, ooooh yes, Le parfum d'Odette is incredible and memorable. I have you to thank for introducing me to it! ;)

I was at the drugstore today, and there are quite a few Nivea products. The cream is in a ~4oz blue tub, and I did not see the word "fragrance" in the ingredient list. I could not smell it, either, because they sealed the top with foil, probably for freshness and anti-tampering. Is this the one in question?

Last edited:

lovethescents

Oct 2, 2008
I find that Sinfonia di Note's Blanc des Cotons smells exactly like Nivea. Was quite nostalgic trying it the first time. Reminded me of when I was a child and my grandmother would smear Nivea onto my cheeks before I would go out to play in the snow.

Notes of Blanc des Cotons
floral notes (can't locate which flowers), lavender, amber, vanilla, guaiac wood

lizzie_j

Feb 28, 2008
I find that Sinfonia di Note's Blanc des Cotons smells exactly like Nivea. Was quite nostalgic trying it the first time. Reminded me of when I was a child and my grandmother would smear Nivea onto my cheeks before I would go out to play in the snow.

Notes of Blanc des Cotons
floral notes (can't locate which flowers), lavender, amber, vanilla, guaiac wood

Yesssss! You are so right! When I smelled Blanc des Cotons I was trying to figure out what it reminded me of and Nivea certainly has that clean fresh smell that BdC has. Thank you! :D

lovethescents

Oct 2, 2008
Yesssss! You are so right! When I smelled Blanc des Cotons I was trying to figure out what it reminded me of and Nivea certainly has that clean fresh smell that BdC has. Thank you! :D

You're so welcome :) Isn't it a feeling of relief when you have that 'aha' moment?

Very fun and embellished car, by the way

darkdreams

May 11, 2008
I haven't smelled Nivea in many years but when I smelled Le Baiser by Crazylibellule it took me back to childhood. The smell of Nivea was changed (in Romania) at some point (this was all about 25 years ago) and I can't say for sure if Le Baiser reminds me of the original or the reformulated one. But it is really worth a sniff I believe.

sophi

Mar 8, 2010
Yes, there is ...please try Mecheri 's Mihime...the drying down is almost identical to Nivea Cream :)

Last edited:

Mimi Gardenia

Aug 15, 2008
PaulSC- that was a very fascintaing post about Nivea by Octavian . I used to use Nivea - I must now go and buy another jar of it.
Sophi - you have peaked my interest in Mihime ! :)

bonsai

Jan 2, 2010
Mogador is a very rose-prominent (and stunningly gorgeous, btw) rose fragrance, but sophi mentioned Mihime which is quite similar to Nivea.

Thank you, Evangeline - it must have been Mihime then. I remembered that it started with an M and I have tested both Mihime and Mogador at some point in time so - confusion...

firehorse

Oct 21, 2010
Reviving this thread due to a fascinating post at Octavian Coifan's 1000 Fragrances blog. Well worth reading!

I just re discovered Nivea, and am obsessing on the smell of their "touch of renewall" lathering body scrub. This smells so good, pretty, and addicting, even better than their other products. If anyone has this, could you please breakdown the notes. I read the article above and this thread so I get the general idea of the notes, but this renewal stuff is similar ... but different, its got an added addictive element to the smell.

Thanks for the link above to the historical background to Nivea, interesting read. People obsessed on the smell in the beginning. I'm wondering if its the animal smells, the lanolin that is addictive and not the rose, bergamot, etc.

Last edited:

IngaMi

Jan 13, 2011
I'm glad you brought up this post firehorse, I'm a great fan of Nivea, mostly the basic cream. I've been buying it for years and years, and even my sons use it for chapped hands. For a long time, when I was younger - all I used on my face was Amino Pon Cleansing Bar ( Redken ) and Nivea cream. ( well, besides makeup that is! ) I still swear by it for general use. And I really enjoyed reading the pages by Octavian Coifan about the history. Amazing how long it's been around.

Mimi Gardenia

Aug 15, 2008
Eau Premiere?

Actually Eau Premiere is pretty good as a 'Nivea scent ' though it reminds me more of Nivea Soft cream which I also love and use in conjunction with Eau Premiere. Good suggestion !
Alba by Profumum somehow reminded me of Nivea in the blue tin though Mihime is still quite close to the Nivea original scent .
I love the blue tin Nivea !

Alicka61

Mar 14, 2005
Actually, a MUA member offers Nivea EdT for sale, allegedly it's been launched in Germany. However, google shows zero results thus it's suspicious. Neither Nivea web states any scent launch.

Mimi Gardenia

Aug 15, 2008
Actually, a MUA member offers Nivea EdT for sale, allegedly it's been launched in Germany. However, google shows zero results thus it's suspicious. Neither Nivea web states any scent launch.
Well, well ,well. Wouldn't that be a hit though ?? Though I also doubt it's real.....

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
Just reading this thread urged me to reach into my messenger bag & pull out my little travel tin of Nivea cream and put some on my hands.

Gosh, this stuff rocks! You really don't have to use that much, a little goes a long way. And that smell - very classic, indeed!

I'm not sure I would want a fragrance that smells like this, but the light sillage from the cream gives off a nice olfactory whiff.

firehorse

Oct 21, 2010
I'm glad you brought up this post firehorse, I'm a great fan of Nivea, mostly the basic cream. I've been buying it for years and years, and even my sons use it for chapped hands. For a long time, when I was younger - all I used on my face was Amino Pon Cleansing Bar ( Redken ) and Nivea cream. ( well, besides makeup that is! ) I still swear by it for general use. And I really enjoyed reading the pages by Octavian Coifan about the history. Amazing how long it's been around.

You've got to try their "touch of renewal" scrub. I look like a lunatic here, I walk around the apartment opening the bottle and sniffing it all day. I'm hooked! I need the juice.

firehorse

Oct 21, 2010

Interesting.... an EdT....thanks, fake or not, must find!

Bulgari Voile de Jasmin has a Nivea vibe to it, I love to wear this to bed for this reason. Beautiful.

thanks for this, I'll check it out :D

cestrum nocturnum

Jan 4, 2012

Hmmmm... I wonder if it is something like this, diluted and re-packaged? http://www.gracefruit.com/fragrance-oils/standard-fragrance-oils/carena.html

Nivea is so nostalgic! I got a big blue pot of it a few months ago, not sure I'd actually use it, but I'm half done with the jar now! I use it as a bedtime hand cream/cuticle cream. :)

Staff online

Latest News