Is Guerlain L'Homme Ideal THAT good?

perfumingandstuff

Mar 14, 2021
Hello!

I was thinking about buying Guerlain L'homme Ideal Extreme, but...it'd be a blind buy. I've read so many positive reviews about L'homme Ideal line in general, and was wondering if you think I'd like it based on some of the fragrances that I like in general:

TF Ombre Leather, Creed Royal Oud, Paco Rabanne Black XS, Green Irish Tweed (if I wanted to spend a lot of money this would be my go to fragrance), Atelier Cologne - Camelia Inrepide (a bit feminine, but still would buy if someone gave me £1000 and said you must spend it all on scents :laugh:), Commes de Garcon Wonderwood, Black Afgano by Nasomatto, Polo Blue, Polo Black, Terre d'Hermes, CH Chic, Clinique Happy...

Scents that I'm not so crazy about:

Serge Luttens Chergui, Caron Pour Un Homme, Creed: Himalaya, Silver Mountain Water, Millesime Imperial, Polo Green, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel Egoiste, CK Obsession...anything powdery, soapy, extremely sweet, floral...no.

I think in general I lean more towards the safer scents with mass appeal, but if I smell it on one too many people I refrain from wearing it!

What do you think? should I go for it?
(feel free to let me know of any other suggestions based on the above. Under £80 + good longevity and sillage!)

Jun 10, 2012
It's closer to the scents you don't like than the ones you do. It's sweet and kinda rich.

I concur.

I never liked the line and promptly sold my bottles. It's too persistently "perfumey" for lack of a better word.

But that’s the style of Guerlain in general (relatively speaking).

perfumingandstuff

Mar 14, 2021
Thanks everyone!

Will be avoiding it for the time being...although, I found a store nearby which has it listed online, so they might have it in store too. Will be dropping by the store tomorrow just in case.

Digital scent technology should really become a thing :smiley:

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
You have a selection of likes and dislikes. You don't seem ultra finicky.

But blind buys are tricky. Many of us have done plenty with both good results and bad...I sure have.

In my old age, I have become a big fan of decants. I say decants because I loathe those little 1ml stopper vials- give me a sprayer and let me wear it a couple of times.!

A few reasons:

* Getting a 6ml or 8ml is usually not too pricey. So if I hate it, I'm not fuming over wasted money.
* If it's ok-ish, I know I can wear it a few times since I have so many scents and probably don't want to wear it a lot.
* If I really love it, I know I will eventually buy a full bottle.

I've noticed since I started mainly starting with decants, I've bought way fewer bottles. Also there are some I really like a lot, but recognize I just wouldn't really wear that often to justify full bottle.

I'm testing two pricey decants I got this week and am so grateful I didn't buy either of these. They are highly regarded scents by many, and most of the reviews seemed to indicate something I would love. They are good, but both are quite similar to some things I already have and don't improve on them at all.

You can get 6ml of that Guerlain for about $20/£15. You will have totally satisfied your curiosity not broken the bank.
You seem like you might know your preferences pretty quickly and maybe 2ml is all you need.

It takes a bit of patience, but that's my two cents/two pence.

perfumingandstuff

Mar 14, 2021
You have a selection of likes and dislikes. You don't seem ultra finicky.

But blind buys are tricky. Many of us have done plenty with both good results and bad...I sure have.

In my old age, I have become a big fan of decants. I say decants because I loathe those little 1ml stopper vials- give me a sprayer and let me wear it a couple of times.!

A few reasons:

* Getting a 6ml or 8ml is usually not too pricey. So if I hate it, I'm not fuming over wasted money.
* If it's ok-ish, I know I can wear it a few times since I have so many scents and probably don't want to wear it a lot.
* If I really love it, I know I will eventually buy a full bottle.

I've noticed since I started mainly starting with decants, I've bought way fewer bottles. Also there are some I really like a lot, but recognize I just wouldn't really wear that often to justify full bottle.

I'm testing two pricey decants I got this week and am so grateful I didn't buy either of these. They are highly regarded scents by many, and most of the reviews seemed to indicate something I would love. They are good, but both are quite similar to some things I already have and don't improve on them at all.

You can get 6ml of that Guerlain for about $20/£15. You will have totally satisfied your curiosity not broken the bank.
You seem like you might know your preferences pretty quickly and maybe 2ml is all you need.

It takes a bit of patience, but that's my two cents/two pence.

You are right about decants. They are really good when it comes down to deciding what would work for you and what wouldn't. A one minute session at the store is not enough for decision making.

After all I did end up getting a whiff of the L'Homme Ideal at a store nearby (been to that store many times, first time I saw that they stock Guerlain range). Like I said, it was a one minute session and I found it...very neutral? It wasn't Extreme though. I might purchase decant and see what I'll get from it.

The only problem with decants is that the cost can add up. Looking at my shelf, I found 17 empty decants accumulated over a period of a month and a half or two :laugh:

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I really don't get the hate. I've spent quite some time looking for modern sweet fragrances since I mostly own classics. I've tried so many of the popular designer frags and l'Homme Idéal EDP and l'Intense are the only ones that stood out to me. I found all the other sweet designers way more generic, maybe because they're too popular and I smell them way more often on people. These are the only sweet modern designers I found full bottle worthy and I'm glad to own both now.

I have yet to try the EDT and Extreme on my skin but didn't like them as much on the tester cards. Extreme is pretty good but smells more mature, I already have plenty of mature classics though.

Last edited:

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
200.gif

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
The only problem with decants is that the cost can add up. Looking at my shelf, I found 17 empty decants accumulated over a period of a month and a half or two :laugh:
Yes, but imagine if every one of those decants was a full bottle of something you didn't like or thought was just "ok."

Andyjreid

Oct 27, 2008
I'm in the camp of quite liking most of the L'Homme Ideal line. Most (except Cologne now discontinued) can be found at online discounters and decants are readily available on ebay for you to try out.

Some might look down on them because they were hyped and turned out to be not so groundbreaking BUT none of them are terrible fragrances.

I have Cologne which is great for warmer weather, EDT which I find to be a decent all rounder and Extreme which is my favourite but more for colder months.

I've also tried the EDP but found it to be similar in parts to Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa which I already own but if I didn't, I'd have no issue with buying a bottle of EDP.

Get yourself on ebay and get some decants.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
I don't dislike the line overall. It was clearly meant to be Guerlain's answer to Dior Homme and it came at that brief without replicating existing DNA. It achieved a similar style around a unique almond throughline.

The general rule with this line is that you get fairly nice and smooth mids/bases with underwhelming openings/top notes that tend to feel "cologne"-y and lead to accusations that the line is generic.

Last edited:

Latest News