Is Dior Homme Intense Too Polarising/A Bad Idea To Wear For Dates?

FragGuy

Dec 4, 2016
Is Dior Homme Intense too polarising/unsafe for dates? Let's say somebody already owns La Nuit De L'Homme, Bleu De Chanel (both EDT and EDP) and The One EDP but personally finds DHI more sophisticated and higher quality. Given the person's appreciation for the scent they are curious about wearing it on dates but they're not sure how the fragrance would be seen by the female they are dating (too feminine, powdery, unusual, smells like lipstick/makeup etc.) would you advise them to wear something else?

What do you think?

Larry Hoover

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 18, 2015
No, why would it be? Not every woman is the same and you can't possibly satisfy them all. Some will enjoy it, some won't. In short: DHI is a great fragrance for dates if you ask me.

Last edited:

byandthrough

Mar 5, 2015
My personal experience is that DHI has always fit better when I’m sharply dressed and at a more formal occasion. Dressed down, it is still nice but I really do think it helps sell it when you look really well put together. I know it used to have this reputation for being more of a ladykiller/clubbing scent but I find it to be just right for something more upscale.

RedMint

Basenotes Member
Feb 5, 2022
I'm going to be the dissenting voice and say go with something 'safer'. I personally detest DHI. Like, I can't even stomach its smell. Sorry. It's a personal thing for sure, I can't do iris. To me it is 'old woman's purse', 'lipstick', etc. etc. etc., but even worse, it creates a nausea in me. Again, it's not DHI itself, it's the note of iris. And the worrisome thing is there are a lot of people out there for whom iris has the same effect. I know this because when I first sampled DHI and let friends and family sample it, about 50% of those who tried it instantly made 'that face' and said 'oh nooooo, thanks'. While the other half thought it was 'sophisticated'.

If your partner has already smelled and liked it, go for it. If it's a blind date or someone you don't know so much about, or you're trying to impress, go for one of the 'safer' options you mentioned. I know this won't be a popular opinion (judging by the other posts already) but that's my 2cents. Especially with first impressions, watch out for the divisive scents. Go safe. Ease into the more 'sophisticated' ones. You can only make one first impression.

And if it makes you feel any better - know that I went on a blind date once that didn't work out, and when I inquired about it later, the date literally told me they weren't down with people who wear colognes AT ALL. So it's all a gamble, really. lol Today I am wearing Chypre Mousse, which many think smells like swampy mushrooms. But I love it, and as it's Mother's Day and my mom loves the scent as well, it's safe. It's just a matter of choosing the right place and time for the more 'debatable' fragrances. And yes, I'm sorry guys, but Dior Homme Intense is absolutely debatable.

ultravisitor

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 4, 2014
Given the person's appreciation for the scent they are curious about wearing it on dates but they're not sure how the fragrance would be seen by the female they are dating (too feminine, powdery, unusual, smells like lipstick/makeup etc.) would you advise them to wear something else?

What do you think?
If you think she might confuse you for a woman, then I think you might have things to worry about other than what fragrance you're wearing.

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
And if it makes you feel any better - know that I went on a blind date once that didn't work out, and when I inquired about it later, the date literally told me they weren't down with people who wear colognes AT ALL.
Whew! Close call. Glad to hear you figured out you were on a date with a detestable freak of nature early on.

Kind of suggests that wearing the fragrances you like early on in the dating process is a good idea. It’s an effective screening method. Best to weed out scary freaks like this before you end up meeting their family, and spending lots of time and money on someone who obviously needs help.

This is a harrowing reminder of the hazards of blind dating. Be careful out there. Waking up next to a fragrance hater is a gruesome prospect. Glad to hear you emerged unscathed.

RedMint

Basenotes Member
Feb 5, 2022
Whew! Close call. Glad to hear you figured out you were on a date with a detestable freak of nature early on.

Kind of suggests that wearing the fragrances you like early on in the dating process is a good idea. It’s an effective screening method. Best to weed out scary freaks like this before you end up meeting their family, and spending lots of time and money on someone who obviously needs help.

This is a harrowing reminder of the hazards of blind dating. Be careful out there. Waking up next to a fragrance hater is a gruesome prospect. Glad to hear you emerged unscathed.

It was a close call! :D

Yeah someone averse to all fragrances... it's not gonna work.

But if I have to choose between my 'favorite fragrance' or a potentially awesome mate, partner or friend, I'm gonna go with the person every time. Different scents affect different people ... differently. I wouldn't want to gag someone out anymore than I'd want to be gagged out.

Zenwannabee

Sep 15, 2009
I think it’s perfect. If it’s the iris that worries you, it recedes with the drydown. And the drydown here is simply the best. One of the greatest vanilla scents ever.

RCavs

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 13, 2004
Although I like DHI (but not that much), I'm against the grain here. I would follow RedMint advice: Go safe! I'd go with Bleu (for a more casual style) or La nuit L'homme for a more formal style.

L'Aventurier

Basenotes Dependent
May 8, 2008
I'm just sitting here giggling that mrcologneguy is giving (actually very solid) advice to FragGuy. Usernames sure check out. All we need is a SirEauDeToiletteGuy to give his blessing on DHI and we're all set.

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .