Is Dior Eau Sauvage EDT really that bad a performer?

Sloth

Jan 11, 2019
Hi, I've just finished a small sample of this and despite my previous dislike am now really digging it.
I'd like to give it a go with a FB instead of Chanel PM EDT or ADP Colonia as I've owned them before but I've not owned Eau Sauvage (because I thought I didn't like it!)

However, from my hand/arm single/double spray sampling, it does seem to disappear very quickly on my skin, I mean like hard to smell after an hour.
Is this just because I'm spraying, from a sample onto my hand or arm rather than a full 3-4+ spray full wearing, or is that a realistic representation of what to expect for performance with this fragrance?

If it's really that bad and the others (Chanel PM ETD or ADP Colonia) are notably better then i may change my mind and go for one of them instead, but it would be nice to try Eau Sauvage EDT providing it doesn't suck too much on performance?

Any advice welcome.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
My bottle, though not a major scent projector, does just fine. It is not strong, but it will last me through an entire work day. By then, it is faint, but hey, I can still smell it on me. Just know that it's not going to be powering through for the entire day, which is fine for me. I think this one works well as a more subtle scent.

You could always track down a Parfum bottle. They are amazing.

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
At the time when these fragrances were created and their respective style, they were never meant to be big booming perfumes. The men of the day wouldn’t have expected all day longevity and they probably would have been used for special occasion colognes or for church on a Sunday rather than daily workhorses.

They are all much of a citrus dominant muchness so it’s more about the scent you prefer. Choosing one of these is choosing subtle airiness over the thick and resinous so when applying spray some on clothes to stretch out longevity or reapply and try to enjoy them for what they are.

broguesforsir

Aug 19, 2012
Not a big projector by any means but like Danny Mitchell I get pretty decent longevity. I sometimes add a spray to my shirt/top as well as skin and it seems to last well on there too, especially cotton fabrics.

satyen

Dec 11, 2018
I use it with the body wash and after shave splash and it does fine for about 4 hours. Anything stronger and it might be cloying!

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

OldSchoolScents

Jun 7, 2019
I find it performs better on my skin than ADP Colonia and Monsieur de Givenchy (have yet to try Chanel PM). ADP gives me about 3-4 hours, Monsieur de Givenchy about 5-6 hours; Eau Sauvage gives me usually 6-7 hours. All three sit very close to the skin but Eau Sauvage projects just a little bit more than ADP and a little less than Monsieur de Givenchy

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Sloth you have a decided like for citrus based scents, most of which are very short lived. I have seen a lot of wet shavers over the years on similar citrus quests.

I have EAU SAUVAGE EdT and 2017 PARFUM. I had known for years that the EdT was said to be a pretty weak performer, but it has been considered a classic for so long I bought some.

I have been pleasantly surprised the EdT lasts better on me than I thought it would and I have a pretty dense nose. Maybe 4-5 hours. But it is very light wearing. The PARFUM is similar scent, but a little stronger.

I have classified EAU SAUVAGE as one of my going to the Dr/dentist scents. It's a scent that may be noticeable, but not loud and offensive in that environment.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Not to my nose, though personally getting on an average 3-4 hours of moderate to minimal projection and perhaps 5-6 tops as extremely discreet skin scent is at the very lower limit would accept from any scent owned and worn

Voronoi

Oct 10, 2020
With the current Eau Sauvage EDT I get a good 1-2 hours of prominent citrus & aromatic herbs, which slowly transitions during that time into a heroine/jasmine centric scent (this period is my favourite part of the whole progression I think). It projects for another hour or so with this more jasmine focus, as the citrus fades. That progression characterises the first 3 hours for me. I then get a increasingly soft skin scent of vetiver, musk, and some oak moss (or some such), with hints of citrus and the heroine/jasmine remaining, which drys down on my skin over the next however many hours.

If I am wearing it all day (and night), I will typically reapply once in the afternoon, early evening. Otherwise the initial application is adequate and takes me through to the evening where I might apply to different scent if I am going out etc.

EDT is on of my favourite scents, citrus focused or otherwise, and is probably my most worn scent over the summer. The combination of the citrus, aromatics, and jasmine/hedoine is quite something IMO.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Nope! Longevity is actually quite great. It might quiet down a lot and be very close after a while, but it's still there. Love it!

Edit: To help counteract any potential performance problems, make sure some hits your clothing as well. Do a deliberate spray or so to your clothing on purpose if you'd like.

Staff online

Latest News