Is Bleu De Chanel really generic, safe, boring?

ultravisitor

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 4, 2014
My thoughts on it haven’t changed since it’s release, so — no. I remember being frustrated for not liking it when I tried it soon after it’s release. At that time, I would/could buy one frangrance a year tops, so it was a bummer — I wanted it to be a Chanel, haha. Can’t recall what I bought instead.
Same. I remember trying it when it first appeared at Sephora without knowing anything about it. I actually expected I would really like it because it was a Chanel. I also really love the color blue, so I was very drawn to both it (and Sauvage). I didn't like it, though, and I still don't. I didn't think it was bad, and I still don't. I just don't find anything about it to be interesting.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
I think Bleu smells really nice especially the edp. I prefer it over Sauvage but I really like the elixir version.
The blue trend was going to happen sooner or later. Look at how many copies of Bleu have been released..
Dylan blue, Sauvage, Balmain home, Rochas home, Coach for men and the list goes on. Sure, the synthetics used in these fragrances can be considered somewhat banal but it's HOW they are used that makes all the difference, and Bleu is the champ. At the end of the day if you like it and want to wear it..that's all that matters. To be honest I kind of prefer these fresh/woody concoctions over fragrances like phantom or stronger with you edp. I can't stomach the sweetness in some of these scents.

Jul 20, 2016
Personally, I love the line. It's extremely versatile, classy and relatively complex.

Lasts for ages as well. Personally, I find the EDP to be the best in this line, although both the EDT and the Parfum are awesome.

The only problem I have with the Parfum iteration is the price and the heavy use of synthetics which send me to anosmia land very quickly.

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
I love it. Bleu De Chanel. But I read tons of reviews saying it's generic, smells very common etc. Is it really that common? Is there no uniqueness to it? Please tell me because I want to know. And how is the performance / projection of the 2020+ batches?
I'm not sure about boring. It was the first to open the road for 'blue fragrances', and probably still the one that is the most interesting 10 years after its release.
But given how much it sells, how many people wear it and how many derivatives have been issued on the market, it doesn;t smell anymore unique nowadays,and yes it's quite a common smell.

If you love it and makes you feel good, then wear it without asking yourself what others think.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
I bought my first bottle this summer the edp. It's lovely mysterious and has great sillage. I also have Sauvage elixir and I think I like the Chanel more. They really put some magic in this one when they created it. You "think" it's generic but it does some interesting things when you wear it. And let's be honest Chanel were the first to go "Bleu" in 2010. Prada, Dior, Balmain, Coach all followed what Chanel created in the first place.

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
BdC is very pleasant, uplifting, and a clean versatile fragrance. Is it generic? When it came out I thought so because it was so similar to fragrances like Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce which is sprayed all over most shopping malls in the U.S. But, the parfum version is truly exceptional.

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
First, I respect this iconic perfume, and know it is loved by many. Personally, I find it generic--and boring (like watching paint dry.) ironically, the times I did wear it years ago while working through a sample, I received enthusiastic, unsolicited compliments. Just not for me--same with Sauvage.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Bleu is the scent that ended the dominance of aquatics by launching the whole fake woods / fake incense trend, which then began being referred to in notes as amberwood. It's a chemical named Norlimbanol. Bleu is the scent that made norlimbanol mainstream, but most people don't realize they're smelling the same thing in so many different scents since it gets labelled as being so many different notes (it isn't wood. It isn't incense. It isn't amber or amberwood or anthracite or whatever other ridiculous things it gets listed as. It's a brutally harsh chemical named Norlimbanol that perfumers love because it's cheap, it lasts forever, and it bonds with other notes like squirting superglue in a bag of Lego).

If I could get a scent like Bleu De Chanel without the harsh synthetics in the base, I'd probably love it. But I can't get past how my skin ends up smelling like chemical trash for hours after the lovely top notes fade, so it's not for me.

Old post to quote, but this nails it as far as I'm concerned. I like the opening, though it isn't the most exciting thing in the world, and it starts with an enticing smoothness in the foundation. But eventually, the unavoidable harsh Norimbanol blast furnace effect takes over the stage. My nose perceives this as harsh, bitter and high pitched. I really wish this particular chemical would go away.

Aug 16, 2022
I only tried EDT briefly and it was very generic and safe to me. The EDP is ironically one of my more specialized fragrances, more than a spray and I'm Luxury Man. I don't get why they're treated as almost interchangeable. Haven't tried Parfum.

gerbick

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 13, 2009
Went through all of the versions (EDT, EDP, Parfum) and found that the Parfum was the one for me; however, the rest were just as good to me as well for different reasons. Safe? Sure. Generic? Perhaps now, but not really when it came out to me. Boring? Not at all. I've worn Bleu de Chanel with a suit, while on vacation, while wearing t-shirt/jeans, while lounging around the house on a lazy Sunday. And it hit the right mood each time. So at least it's also versatile...

But is it for everybody? No. And that's okay.

More for me...

4dri3n

Sep 16, 2022
Bleu was a gateway scent for me. I bought a big bottle of it when it was new and it was only my second proper eau de toilette after YSL L'homme. The biggest thing for me was how deep and complex it smelled from the atomizer, hard to explain but as if the scent painted a whole picture, I remember often taking the cap off just to have a sniff. :)

Once you actually sprayed it, it was a bit less special but still leaps ahead of later competitors like Sauvage or Y as far as I'm concerned. I think by the end I got tired of it but this thread is making me wonder why I've never tried the flankers/other concentrations or even just revisited the EDT, maybe I should.

I noticed norlimbanol came up in this thread and often see it mentioned in Basenotes reviews, too. I obviously must have smelled it unknowingly but I don't know how I'd go about recognizing it. Seems difficult to impossible going off a verbal description. Have some of you just bought or smelled pure norlimbanol or did you familiarize yourself with it some other way?

speckmann0706

Basenotes Institution
Mar 8, 2017
Chanel Bleu De Chanel for me is far from generic it is well blended and while well received by the masses still makes statements 12 years later. I feel the EDT is the best version all the way through dry down it smells phenomenal, it shines in the colder weather the most.

magnus611

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 16, 2013
CBDC is an amazing great smelling scent. I remember like yesterday when it first came out, I was perusing through scents at Sephora and got a whiff of the edt version and was amazed at how nice it smelled..

Hence, after having all 3 versions I tend to lean towards EDP
Version being the best rounded one!

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...