Iris Poudre Question

Anamandy

Dec 27, 2018
Hi guys, can anyone who owns this fragrance fill me in on the packaging and the scent. I'm a little perplexed by it and am questioning whether I got a fake or not.
First, this was not cellophane sealed. I have purchased from other places where this has happened and assumed it was just a return and when tried I found it no different than what I had before or tried in a store. For a large discount I was willing to overlook that.

There is a batch code on the bottom of the bottle (I think it is the batch code) of ABO 21028, but nowhere does that same code (?) show up on the box. What is on the box and back of the bottle, right after the address (which almost looks like it could have been part of the address and a zip code) is H47L. Is this actually the batch code?

When I put both series of digits into Checkfresh I get these two results -

Batch code ABO21028
INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM THE BATCH CODE
Production date 2021-01-28
Age 1 year 7 months 30 days

Batch code H47L
INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM THE BATCH CODE
Production date 2017-04
Age 5 years 5 months 26 days

Now onto the scent. Reading reviews here and on other sites I keep seeing adjectives like Potent, Powerhouse, Huge. I'm getting none of that. It is so light it is almost a skin scent when I first put it on and then becomes a skin scent shortly afterwards. Though it does last for about 6 hours before disappearing. Is this how this perfume performs normally?

Maybe my nose is just used to stronger scents, which might make it hard for me to appreciate the lightness of this scent. IDK, but while I love the scent, I don't like that I have to sniff my wrist in order to smell it.

Finally, some also describe this as powdery, yet I'm not getting that at all. A least not the type of powder I'm used to, (Teint de Neige, Misia, Citizen Queen, etc.). I would appreciate your thoughts on that too.

I've included pictures to help WP_20220928_002.jpg WP_20220928_011.jpg

U2u

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 26, 2014
Hi guys, can anyone who owns this fragrance fill me in on the packaging and the scent. I'm a little perplexed by it and am questioning whether I got a fake or not.
First, this was not cellophane sealed. I have purchased from other places where this has happened and assumed it was just a return and when tried I found it no different than what I had before or tried in a store. For a large discount I was willing to overlook that.
FM is normally retailed with the unboxed bottles on display. Upon purchase they box the bottle but I have not seen them get wrapped so what you have is normal. Boxes have no codes as they are used randomly. The sleeves are little better depending on the retailer. It is not like many (most?) other brands and their approach to packaging and codes.
What you have is no different than what you experienced in a store, the photos look good, I suggest you got the real deal so enjoy the scent and discount.
On the codes, my FM collection has a variety of formats and my Iris Powder is a tester gift with purchase so I can't offer more.
To my nose the scent was very powdery on my first wearings. As I got used to it, and some others powders, my perception changed and it dialled down. Just a matter of where you are on your fragrance journey.

chypre

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 10, 2006
It's not a warm powder like Teint de Neige is; it's more of a bright aldehydic powder like Chanel No. 5. Others have described it as Chanel No. 5 but with iris, and I'd agree with that. It's a cold iris, mind you. Also, it may not be a powerhouse but I wouldn't call it a skin scent either. When someone wears it, I can smell it on them from about 1-2 metres away. You could try wearing it on a warmer day to see if the projection improves with warmth.

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020
All my Malle bottles have a 3-character batch code (one letter followed by two numbers) – all purchased within the last 5 years. A40 for example. It's always on the bottom of the bottle, either heat-stamped on a sticker or etched in the glass. The etching is barely visible on one of my bottles. Make sure you're looking at it under well-lit conditions or you can miss it. Also, none of my bottles came wrapped in plastic, Malle is an eco-warrior!

Anamandy

Dec 27, 2018
All my Malle bottles have a 3-character batch code (one letter followed by two numbers) – all purchased within the last 5 years. A40 for example. It's always on the bottom of the bottle, either heat-stamped on a sticker or etched in the glass. The etching is barely visible on one of my bottles. Make sure you're looking at it under well-lit conditions or you can miss it. Also, none of my bottles came wrapped in plastic, Malle is an eco-warrior!
That's not what I'm getting here. What is on the bottom of the bottle, etched into the glass is ABO21028. Nowhere else does this code appear on the packaging. What is on both the back of the bottle and on the package is H47L. I don't know if that is a batch code though. I'm in the US so maybe there are different codes. IDK. This is very confusing. Is the batch code on the bottom of your bottles the same as somewhere on the box?

Also, I was in Bergdorf's (a big US department store in Manhattan) a few months ago and the Malle perfumes they had there come cellophaned wrapped. It might be packaged differently in other countries.

Any info appreciated. Thanks

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020
Whatever is on the bottle will be the batch code.
My guess is that H47L is an inventory code for Iris Poudre. If I Google "frederic malle h47l", I get Iris Poudre in the results from fredericmalle.com and many other stores.

Image from the search result from a trusted store:

vHwQYs8.png

Anamandy

Dec 27, 2018
Thanks for that info. I remembered that I have a 3ml. travel sprayer of Une Rose and there is a batch code on both the bottom of the bottle and on the small box. They are the same as you described. 1 letter and 2 numbers.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
It sounds like your bottle is most likely legit. I can't explain the phenomena, but others have reported this and I've noticed myself with Malle in particular sometimes brand new bottles seem a little weak but somehow open up after a few weeks and seem stronger/richer.

My experience of Iris Poudre is that it is quite strong and long lasting, but it depends one what your frame of reference for "strong" is, I tend to prefer lighter perfumes in general. Give it some times, take breaks from wearing it. You can also sometimes detect smells more strongly with greater familiarity.

Anamandy

Dec 27, 2018
It sounds like your bottle is most likely legit. I can't explain the phenomena, but others have reported this and I've noticed myself with Malle in particular sometimes brand new bottles seem a little weak but somehow open up after a few weeks and seem stronger/richer.

My experience of Iris Poudre is that it is quite strong and long lasting, but it depends one what your frame of reference for "strong" is, I tend to prefer lighter perfumes in general. Give it some times, take breaks from wearing it. You can also sometimes detect smells more strongly with greater familiarity.
I've spoken to someone who purchased the same fragrance at the same place and time as I did. She says that it is the same exact fragrance she purchased directly from Malle last year. The only difference is the Malle she purchased direct has the one letter 3 number batch code and our new bottles have that weird 8 digit combo of letters and numbers. But she says it smells the same and lasts around the same length of time. It could be that L'Oreal changed how they do batch codes which might account for that. At least it's good to know that it is the same fragrance as what she originally received directly from Malle.

I like light airy florals, but this is much lighter to me than any other light florals. It's light in the way Guerlain Après L'Ondee is light. That's another one that I can barely smell.

Thanks for the information and will keep my fingers crossed that the phenomena you mentioned happens overtime with my bottle.

heavy black heart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 20, 2022
looks like you figured it out but I’ve bought a number of their fragrances from the NY boutique & they have never been wrapped in cellophane (or anything)

I can check my batch code later this week if you are still interested

iris-focused chanel 5 is an apt description but I feel there’s more going on than just that - quite complex

not particularly powdery especially given the name

I think it’s an absolute beauty & the best Bourdon I’ve experienced

quite feminine tbh (I know, I know) but I rock it bc it’s just so fucking beautiful

Anamandy

Dec 27, 2018
I can check my batch code later this week if you are still interested
I would appreciate that since that batch number thing is so weird and not something I've ever seen before. Like I said in one of my replies, the person who also bought the same perfume for the same place has the same batch code on her bottle, but on the bottle she bought directly from Malle is one letter and 3 numbers. Even she is perplexed by the 8 digits on the bottom of this new bottles.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
Hmm I tried it the other day and it didn't seem light to me. I don't think I've ever tried a FM where I thought it was light.

heavy black heart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 20, 2022
I would appreciate that since that batch number thing is so weird and not something I've ever seen before. Like I said in one of my replies, the person who also bought the same perfume for the same place has the same batch code on her bottle, but on the bottle she bought directly from Malle is one letter and 3 numbers. Even she is perplexed by the 8 digits on the bottom of this new bottles.

I have 10 Malles - 7 bought directly from them the other 3 Harrods I think

ironically all of them except Iris Poudre have a serial with 8 digits (e.g. AB0 21046) - my IP has a AC7

to be 100% honest, I think you might be trippin’

Last edited:

mandy2022

Oct 22, 2022
I also have recently purchased a bottle of used en passant 50ml with age I guess, judging from the appearance of its juice. I found that batch code of this en passant is also etched with 3-character batch code only while my other recent purchase from frederic malle retailers are all etched with 8-charaters batch code and I am worried about its legitimacy as many of the fakes came with 3-characters batch code recently. May I know the time duration your malles bottle brought and if your bottles are all came with 3-charaters only? Thank you very much!

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...