Interlude Black Iris

Shiny Beast

Basenotes Dependent
May 21, 2012
Thinkin’ about blind buyin’ Amouage Interlude Black Iris, but I’m on the fence. I have original Interlude but I rarely reach for it because it’s so extra; but I do like it. Anyone wanna weigh in with some spicy takes for or against?

AndyL

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 2, 2022
I’ve found this house a struggle for me to warm up too, and the sample I bought of interlude black iris was no exception.

My notes say scent of melted rubber, vinyl, menthol & medicinal. Obviously my nose is not in tune with this house and this fragrance. I’m not giving up yet!

Jul 7, 2012
I like it, but to me it's close enough to the original that a blind buy is risky.
I agree strongly with this.

Interlude Black Iris is still very much Interlude... just tweaked. I like it, but I own the original (in a non-magnetic cap bottle). To me, it would be redundant to own both, even though they're not completely the same. I'm pretty sure I prefer the original, but I haven't finished my sample yet, so who knows. It might grow on me.

Above, somebody said it's office friendly. Wow, I disagree. I'd never wear something this strong or this bold to work in an office. This is very much a nighttime going out kind of dark scent that makes a statement.

U2u

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 26, 2014
it's a great version of the original one, more safe and office friedly!
I grabbed a Black Iris sample when I picked up a bottle of Opus XIII Silver Oud. Got seriously distracted by the awesomeness of Silver Oud and am finally trying BI. Totally agree with your comment as an owner of a 2014 Interlude who did wear it to the office during late evening and night stints. One spray of the original drew some comments on strength. BI is quieter and one spray would be reasonable during the busier hours. The opening notes are a nice switch and I can see owning both versions.

Sandy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2005
I don't know the original, but the Black Iris sample is too strange to my nose. Too much kitchen-vegetables.

Mistertaz

Dec 15, 2010
I’ve got Interlude Black Iris, but haven’t tried the original Interlude. I find the iris quite prominent throughout the scent, so if you like iris, go for it. Otherwise sample first.

Jul 7, 2012
This thread inspired me to pull out my sample tonight.

Man, this stuff isn't for me. I GREATLY prefer the original. Interlude Black Iris feels thicker and heavier, though less compelling. The original screams more, and I sometimes wish it didn't, but Black Iris feels like I'm wearing a blanket of dark gunk (though the iris does add a touch of brightness, but underneath it is a dark heavy blanket of gunk). I'm surprised by how much I don't enjoy it. I guess that's why I didn't finish the sample months ago.

I should probably add that I don't think Interlude Black Iris smells bad. I just don't enjoy how it feels to wear it. The clash of the lightness of the iris against the heaviness of the rest... I don't enjoy it at all.

Sandy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2005
This thread inspired me to pull out my sample tonight.

Man, this stuff isn't for me. I GREATLY prefer the original. Interlude Black Iris feels thicker and heavier, though less compelling. The original screams more, and I sometimes wish it didn't, but Black Iris feels like I'm wearing a blanket of dark gunk (though the iris does add a touch of brightness, but underneath it is a dark heavy blanket of gunk). I'm surprised by how much I don't enjoy it. I guess that's why I didn't finish the sample months ago.

I should probably add that I don't think Interlude Black Iris smells bad. I just don't enjoy how it feels to wear it. The clash of the lightness of the iris against the heaviness of the rest... I don't enjoy it at all.

I reckon this "dark gunk" is what I call "kitchen-vegetables" :)

Jul 7, 2012
I reckon this "dark gunk" is what I call "kitchen-vegetables" :)
Probably not. It's a smoky amber, leather, patchouli, etc, which feels too heavy to me when compared to the rest of the scent. I do get where you're coming from with your "kitchen-vegetables" comment, but I'm referring to everything under that, and how the heaviness of it clashes with the rest. I'm really shocked by how much I don't enjoy this scent, especially since I'm a big fan of the original Interlude.

Mistertaz

Dec 15, 2010
Probably not. It's a smoky amber, leather, patchouli, etc, which feels too heavy to me when compared to the rest of the scent. I do get where you're coming from with your "kitchen-vegetables" comment, but I'm referring to everything under that, and how the heaviness of it clashes with the rest. I'm really shocked by how much I don't enjoy this scent, especially since I'm a big fan of the original Interlude.
That’s interesting, given that Varanis Ridari seems to prefer the flanker to the original by a significant margin.

Shiny Beast

Basenotes Dependent
May 21, 2012
Alright lads, I went in a different direction and picked up a bottle of Xerjoff Naxos. I’m still interested in the Black Iris but the comments here have convinced me that I should sample this one first.

Latest News