Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi (1997)

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
I am of mixed mind about Incensi. It is spicy, yet cool (rather than the expected warm tone). Generally, it is dry, but the spices and labdanum at times give a sweet, balsamic aspect. Thumbs are up but not 'way up.
Starts with a very green galbanum opening which is well done. There are those spicy-green celery leaf and dusty stones notes which I associate with galbanum. To me this is a very attractive stage. A good spice mixture enters the scene, along with some conifers from the juniper. The scent mostly is dry, cool, and a bit austere -- yet it has a somewhat powdery note in the dry-down (not my favourite sort of finish).
In an earlier BN review I wrote an impressionistic comment which I'll retain.
Incensi is interesting. Its final effect is cool, contemplative, slightly detached or even melancholy. You are not in a daytime church service experiencing chanting, colorful vestments and smoky incense. Rather, you have wandered into a cool and silent cathedral in the evening. Ghosts of prayers and traces of incense linger and outside, there is silvery-cool moonlight.

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
Top Notes
Green notes, Elemi, Galbanum, Apple, Lemon, Bergamot

Middle Notes
Cinnamon, Labdanum, Ginger, Juniper, Mimosa, Pepper

Base Notes
Incense, Benzoin, Myrrh, Styrax, Tolu, Opoponax, Sandalwood

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
It is worthwhile to have multiple reviews of the same scent. It will register differently on each occasion.
Today, it seems a little less green than before, and less sweet.
Dry, peppery, cool and restrained is the common thread. At times suggesting cool stones, at times a freshly-ironed white shirt.
Don't get any fruit notes, but there are some green and resinous notes up front. The spices are a slight warming trend to the overall coolness.
The dry-down has a haunting quality with light incense and creamy sandalwood.
I'm enjoying this a lot today. :)

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
Incense scents are always worth a re-visit. Many variations on that theme. Hence, tomorrow's scent.

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
Green galbanum! Peppery, woody, hint of spices (ginger and cinnamon). Bit of fruit but not sweet or obnoxious. Woody-creamy sandalwood in the dry-down. Incense is low-key, a bit resinous.

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
Definitely seems like the time of year to be re-visiting incense scents. Watch for comments tomorrow. :)

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
Definitely a cool, powdery scent. Hints of green and spice. But the spice adds no warmth. Pepper and cool stones are suggested. Probably this is a warm-weather scent rather than a cool-weather one. Don't get much incense today.

Surfacing

Nov 6, 2002
I still have not sampled this one. Is it very powdery ? I find Yerbamate from Villoresi to be too powdery.

This one here has peaked my interest, but sort of seems a bit ho-hum smelling.

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
Starts quite green and aromatic -- very enjoyable. Today I really pick up the spice, especially cinnamon. Even a cocoa, hot-chocolate note. I'm surprised that I hadn't notice that before. And the scent seems much warmer than I've noted in my comments above. The incense notes are good and resinous. It still has that haunting, somewhat reserved quality yet today I also sense warmth and a giving nature. :)
Apologies to Surfacing -- this seems to have fallen off my radar and my comment for 2018 never was posted.

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
Green, aromatic and fresh, almost detergent-y at first. Picks up some woody tones and spicy balsamic sap. A cool woody scent -- cool in temperature. Don't particularly get any fruit notes. This is a good scent, though with a name like "Incensi" I would expect the incense to be more prominent. A slight soapy and perfumed quality, perhaps from the myrrh.
Here's the notes according to the little pamphlet in the box of the perfume. "Pure sap spilling from the tree, natural and balsamic. Fresh notes of sour apple and orange blossoms. Touched with myrrh, poppy and resinous woods."

Staff online

Latest News