In appreciation of honey as a note in vintage mens' perfumes

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
I've tried several niche or modern perfumes that use honey, a note that I usually like. This is found in perfumes such as Back to Black, Chergui, L'Envol or Hiram Green's Slowdive to name a few. Typically these are sweet perfumes, sometimes dry with tobacco notes and at other times not. Honey itself being a sweetish note exaggerate the sweetness.

In contrast, I've found honey to have a remarkable effect in vintage mens' scents as Paco Rabanne pour Homme, Balenciaga pour Homme, Kouros, and Givenchy Gentleman. In this category honey more often than not appears in otherwise aromatic blends with accords that have no sweetness otherwise, to add some depth and complexity. It's not the obvious punch of honey a la MFK perfumes, but subtle and abstract. However, once someone smells it, it's there every time.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
For modern and niche scents the honey really comes off as unnatural likely because it was an accord of some sort that attempted to create the impression of something honey-like. Often more times than not it's comes off as sweeter.

I like the honey that are present in some the classics. It's more natural and tends to help enhance the overall scent.

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
I enjoy a honey note in vintage style fragrances moreso than many moderns and niche too but boy sometimes companies like to monkey with that word honey.

I find current versions of vintage fragrances Kouros, Giorgio for Men and Boss Number One to be easier to wear. Somewhat tamer in ‘honey’ effect. For those that want that full-on dark-honey civet-gland effect, then yes vintage. :D

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I also love the honey note, as evidenced by my love of just about everything mentioned so far. Even when it doesn't present as a big, obvious sweet note, it adds a great "living" seasoning that seems to have much the same effect as civet, but sweeter and smoother. Hugo Boss Number One and Paco Rabanne Pour Homme are particularly great examples of this. In Kouros, it seems almost like a complimentary smoothing agent for the civet which is also present...similar idea in Givenchy Gentleman.

It's also nicely compliment by big spices, e.g. Comme des Garcons Parfum.

Note to myself that I need to wear Slowdive again.

Staff online

Latest posts

Latest News