Important: Site Downtime and Changes

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
As you may know, we are current working towards upgrading the forum software to drag it kicking and screaming into the modern world. (You can find out more here)

Currently, here is the plan:

This week: Finish off a few last minute bugs

Next Monday (27th September) The site will go offline while we download the data from the site

If the import goes smoothly we could be up by Weds 29th. However, there's 4 million posts and lots of other stuff and its just me doing it, so who knows...?

(Once the download from here is complete, I'm going to put this site in a read-only state -- so you can still peruse the site, but won't be able to log in or do anything. PM's etc will be unaccessible, so if you have business with another member, make sure you make arrangements prior to next Monday)

Wish me luck....

Grant

Sneak Peek:

newforums.png

Just kidding, that was from 2000. Here are some actual sneaky peeks:

news.jpg

directoryview.jpg
threadview.jpg
threadlist.jpg
forumlist.jpg
wardrobe.jpg
wardrobe2.jpg
sotd.jpg

Attachments

• newforums.jpg
    newforums.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
(Once the download from here is complete, I'm going to put this site in a read-only state -- so you can still peruse the site, but won't be able to log in or do anything. PM's etc will be unaccessible, so if you have business with another member, make sure you make arrangements prior to next Monday)

Grant, just to clarify, will the new site remain exclusively on the .com domain? Will we need to switch bookmarks over to that, etc? Will the .net domain remain archived in read-only mode?

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Like rum, I'm wondering about the bookmarks and domains.

Such a huge amount of work! Best wishes for everything to go smoothly, with a minimum of angst and gnashing of teeth.

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
  • Admin
@rum, @bonette The new site will be on .com

The .net site will redirected to the new site once the new site is ready, and all bookmarks should still work :)

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Added some actual sneaky peeks in the main post
Very reassuring. Those exemplars give us a good general idea of the style and format of the new site. I don't think it will take long to get used to, once in. My main concern is retaining the ability to log in, perhaps needing to to re-register, devise a new username, and things of that nature which have posed problems on a couple of my valued forums when they migrated - it made me panic, especially initially, because there was no way to know the status of the new site (i.e., whether it was up or not) without trying all kinds of address combinations, googling, and contacting fellow members by email to find out what they were seeing.

Edited to add: I just saw the other thread ("Important Stuff for Mods and Basenotes Plus Members..."), where you provide more informaton about what to expect along these lines - very thoughtful of you, thank you!

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
My main concern is retaining the ability to log in, perhaps needing to to re-register, devise a new username, and things of that nature which have posed problems on a couple of my valued forums when they migrated - it made me panic, especially initially, because there was no way to know the status of the new site!

I can set up a mailing list when the site goes down if people want me to email them when we're back up

With regards to user names and passwords: You will be able to log-in with the same name and password as you do at the moment. If you have any problem, send me an email grant@basenotes.net

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I can set up a mailing list when the site goes down if people want me to email them when we're back up

With regards to user names and passwords: You will be able to log-in with the same name and password as you do at the moment. If you have any problem, send me an email grant@basenotes.net
Oh, that would be much appreciated! Please add me to the mailing list, if you set one up.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I have been dabbling in the new site and have some questions about the new site which I can't seem to find the solution to:

Is there a Reply with Quote option like now?
Is there an Advanced edit to correct Thread title mistakes like now?
Is there a Who's Online now option like now to view up to 200 members?: https://www.basenotes.net/online.php?s=&sortfield=username&sortorder=asc&who=members&pp=200
Is there a Member List option like now with the ability to view according to chosen sorted criteria?: https://www.basenotes.net/memberlist.php?order=desc&sort=posts&pp=50
Why is space limited in listing your location in Preferences? I can't fit what I currently have.
Is there a way to know which threads one has already answered/posted in like there is now with the arrow inside the caption field?

Last edited:

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
I have been dabbling in the new site and have some questions about the new site which I can't seem to find the solution to:

Is there a Reply with Quote option like now?

yes, if you hit reply next to a post, it will automatically quote it. You can also highlight the part you wish to quote before hitting reply to choose which part you want to quote. You can Multiquote by hitting the +Quote next to each post.

[quoteIs there an Advanced edit to correct Thread title mistakes like now?
[/quote]You will be able to edit the title of a thread if it’s your thread.
Is there a Who's Online now option like now to view up to 200 members?: https://www.basenotes.net/online.php?s=&sortfield=username&sortorder=asc&who=members&pp=200
Yes
Is there a Member List option like now with the ability to view according to chosen sorted criteria?: https://www.basenotes.net/memberlist.php?order=desc&sort=posts&pp=50

there’s is, but it’s not public at the moment

Why is space limited in listing your location in Preferences? I can't fit what I currently have.

because each field has to have a limit as they can’t be infinite length. I maybe able to change it.

Is there a way to know which threads one has already answered/posted in like there is now with the arrow inside the caption field?

Yes

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
yes, if you hit reply next to a post, it will automatically quote it. You can also highlight the part you wish to quote before hitting reply to choose which part you want to quote. You can Multiquote by hitting the +Quote next to each post.

Is there an Advanced edit to correct Thread title mistakes like now?
You will be able to edit the title of a thread if it’s your thread.

Yes

there’s is, but it’s not public at the moment

because each field has to have a limit as they can’t be infinite length. I maybe able to change it.

Yes
Thank you for the replies Grant!

LondonGirl

Sep 13, 2012
Hi, Hopefully I am not posting this twice. Have you checked the accessibility of the changes you are making for people who use access technology such as screen reading software. under the Equality Act 2010 your website must be accessible to Disabled people. RNIB should be able to offer you some advice on how to do this. I’ve enjoyed this site so much since joining that I don’t want to be left out because it becomes inaccessible. Most of the time people aren’t doing this deliberately, they just don’t think about it. Any questions please contact me privately.

Latest News