Identifying unknown scents

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Hello I bought those a few months ago; a fellow BNer (whom I can't recall the name, sorry) posted about this scent; if my memory serves me well, I think this scent was related to James Bond. Does anybody have any clue?

@nosey74 posted about it first:

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
Hello all ! It's me again, submitting to your knowledge, fellow BNers, another scent: La Toja (los Manantiales), Agua de Colonia para hombre.
On their website, this one is listed, but the box is different from mine, which has short list of ingredients, but the recycle dot and barcode are present. No website on the box either; its says it's a division of Henkel Spain. BTW, La Toja is an island located in north of Spain, in the Galicia province, well known for hot natural water, which led to a cosmetic industry since the 19th century.
As always, thank you in advance !

LaTojaBottleBox.JPG

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
^ Google tells me this means "Springs of La Toja", so I'm guessing this is going to smell like a spa scent? Something like Eau de Roche by Rochas?
Well, in fact it smells the exact opposite to Eau de Roche : it smells very "Spanish", with leather and smoke. I'll give it a real wear tomorrow to feel it entirely.

Rodolfo

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 2, 2008
I have been intrigued by this perfume for months, which I have not found any information about, neither about it nor about its brand. I don't expect my luck to change, but just in case someone can tell me something...
Koshin is the brand, I think (not 100% sure though) that is Japanese. "Lotus & Lily". It looks so nice and sounds so suggestive...

O1CN01PtUpQH1SoEkO0anz2_!!700242293.jpg
O1CN01Q2YXJu1SoEkLdWK2F_!!700242293.jpg

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
Hello everybody !

A friend of mine bought this perfume; she's unable to recall when it was.

Has anybody any clue about it ? i know original Nirmala by Molinard was launched in 1955, but can't find any info about this one, same name, also by Molinard. Any help would be much appreciated.

IMG_4393.jpg

Thank you !

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
Hello I bought those a few months ago; a fellow BNer (whom I can't recall the name, sorry) posted about this scent; if my memory serves me well, I think this scent was related to James Bond. Does anybody have any clue ? Thanks a lot !

View attachment 223693
One of James Bond’s greatest pleasures is cigarettes and he usually smokes sixty per day of a special Balkan and Turkish mixture with three gold bands. The cigarettes are specially made for him by Morland’s and carried in a wide, thin cigarette case of black gunmetal that can hold fifty (!?!?!).

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
One of James Bond’s greatest pleasures is cigarettes and he usually smokes sixty per day of a special Balkan and Turkish mixture with three gold bands. The cigarettes are specially made for him by Morland’s and carried in a wide, thin cigarette case of black gunmetal that can hold fifty (!?!?!).
Thank you very much for the info, Oviatt ! So this scent is definitely related to James Bond.

Wild Gardener

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 26, 2013
Did anyone else think Obsession for Men when they saw Houbbie?
Charles Frantz ... nothing to do with Charles of the Ritz I assume.
And that Lotus Lily, how it looks like a classic Coty presentation!

Great thread this, I love those old obscurities,
just hope they smell as good as they look.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Garraud actually had an “Aube” in the 1970s, but I couldn’t find a masculine version of it, and it would almost certainly have boasted the company name.

“Aube” translates as “dawn,” which is pretty generic and thus hard to pin down. For example, “Aube Fragrance” is a company launched c. 2019. There could easily have been a short-lived “Aube” perfumery in the mid-20th century.

Whatever the case, this one seems not to have made a dent—the only mention or image of it I’ve found is that one eBay listing. Maybe you can get the price down.

Jul 9, 2021
Garraud actually had an “Aube” in the 1970s, but I couldn’t find a masculine version of it, and it would almost certainly have boasted the company name.

“Aube” translates as “dawn,” which is pretty generic and thus hard to pin down. For example, “Aube Fragrance” is a company launched c. 2019. There could easily have been a short-lived “Aube” perfumery in the mid-20th century.

Whatever the case, this one seems not to have made a dent—the only mention or image of it I’ve found is that one eBay listing. Maybe you can get the price down.
Yes, it certainly looks vintage. So Garraud is the perfumer? Well, we'll see, my predicament for the moment being is that there are too many perfumes out there and too little of everything else, e.g. monetary funds, storage facilities, time, partner's tolerance towards increasingly obsessive interest in this 'recreational hobby' 😜.

And thanks, pstoller!🙂

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
So Garraud is the perfumer?

Possibly, but I doubt it. Garraud’s Aube was a feminine with a different bottle and text design. I was just speculating that Garraud could have launched a parallel masculine, but your pic looks more like Aube was the name of the company as well as the fragrance.

91DB0AA0-B498-4BD5-9966-99AA0DF9E71A.jpeg
4CB7380D-2097-41AE-978A-207234D05BAA.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021
1661347031487.png

I recently nosed Taylor of London For Gentlemen Cologne Spray. Must have been from the 1990s as the box has a barcode. It's a 70s style spicy-green-soapy-powdery scent, but not very powdery.

I don't know much about this brand, but I assume it's in the same ballpark as Yardley.

I'm curious to see if anyone else here has put his nose to this perfume, and whether it's a clone of something by Floris etc.

Guasón

Aug 10, 2022
Does anyone know it? It is impossible to find anything on google or photos or information or date. Galimard Fragonard and Molinard are very frustrating brands they have a lot of interesting vintages but it's impossible to find information on them, plus in the 2000's they released loads of new versions with the same name as the vintages and it's a mess!

Cologne by Fragonard - eau de toilette

1031374494.jpg

Tea_Lilly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 4, 2022
Hello all ! First of all, I apology if this thread is off-topic, or not in the right place: Grant or Furrypine, please delete it.

I''d like a thread where we could post pictures (or not) of scents we've heard about, but for which we haven't much knowledge.
Did anyone hear about "Houbbie" ?

Here are some pictures; thanks in advance.

View attachment 177252

View attachment 177253
I really like your idea. Please do it! I have a couple I would put there also to get input :D

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Don’t know much more about Camel than you. Yes, it’s the cigarette brand, a product of R.J. Reynolds, while the fragrance was marketed by Elida Gibbs, a budget toiletries division of Unilever. Ad agency J. Walter Thompson had both the Camel and Gibbs accounts, so maybe they suggested there might be synergy there: who knows? Anyway, it seems not so many people wanted to smell like they’d walked a mile for a Camel.

I know even less about Spirit, if that’s possible. Seems to be one of countless fragrances Fabergé threw at the wall. This one from 1978 didn’t stick.

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
Don’t know much more about Camel than you. Yes, it’s the cigarette brand, a product of R.J. Reynolds, while the fragrance was marketed by Elida Gibbs, a budget toiletries division of Unilever. Ad agency J. Walter Thompson had both the Camel and Gibbs accounts, so maybe they suggested there might be synergy there: who knows? Anyway, it seems not so many people wanted to smell like they’d walked a mile for a Camel.

I know even less about Spirit, if that’s possible. Seems to be one of countless fragrances Fabergé threw at the wall. This one from 1978 didn’t stick.
Thank you, PStoller. I found a picture of Camel (not vintage I think, because it show the "flammable" symbol, with the one meaning "protecting the ozone layer"), and it says: "Made in Spain under license from W.B.I, Delaware, USA". If this rings a bell to you...

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
…it says: "Made in Spain under license from W.B.I, Delaware, USA". If this rings a bell to you...

Worldwide Brands, Inc. was a subsidiary of RJR Nabisco (and may still be a subsidiary of RJ Reynolds) that owns the Camel trademark for all purposes other than tobacco products. This was created as some legal sleight of hand to promote Camel and other cigarettes while claiming independence from tobacco products, since WBI didn’t own those.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
And one more: John Sterling, launched in 1984 and marketed by Vapro International:

There’s a short thread on it from
2005:

Nobody knew much then, either.

Perfume Intelligence puts the release date at 1994, and says: “In association with Forester and Vapro International; a masculine edt with top notes bergamot, mandarin and galbanum, heart notes of lavender, rosemary, sage and geranium on base notes of sandalwood, vetiver, cedar wood, oak moss and musk. Presented in a purple flask styled bottle.”

The Forester version, which looks to be earlier, has a very different bottle, suggesting it could be a different scent, though I’m unaware of any published comparison:

25CDDA2E-9E2F-4A23-BCF4-C3699B1C9881.jpeg

I believe the original Forester edition was released c. 1984, while the Vapro version licensed in the US was c. 1994 (it was advertised in US newspapers in 1995).

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
There’s a short thread on it from
2005:

Nobody knew much then, either.

Perfume Intelligence puts the release date at 1994, and says: “In association with Forester and Vapro International; a masculine edt with top notes bergamot, mandarin and galbanum, heart notes of lavender, rosemary, sage and geranium on base notes of sandalwood, vetiver, cedar wood, oak moss and musk. Presented in a purple flask styled bottle.”

The Forester version, which looks to be earlier, has a very different bottle, suggesting it could be a different scent, though I’m unaware of any published comparison:

View attachment 300204

I believe the original Forester edition was released c. 1984, while the Vapro version licensed in the US was c. 1994 (it was advertised in US newspapers in 1995).
Thank you very much, PStoller. As always, your answers and time are much appreciated. Indeed, the latter bottle seems to be older.

Parfumo lists this one as being launched in 1984, which we can debate, since this kind of unknown scent doesn't come with many "official" or accurate testimonies. I'm surprised no one in the forum mentioned the very strong leather-petroleum blast...Parfumo lists it as a leather-woody scent, which I find to be quite accurate. But I'll wear it, in order to feel it more deeply.

Again, thank you very much, PStoller !

Latest News