I think I have F.A.D. (“Fragrance Acquisition Disorder")

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
I had experience similar symptoms in 2020 with the backups. Since the start of this year that has dropped off.

Hi N.CAL,

I hear that N. CAL. I will make a couple/few more Cologne "bottle" purchases however, after that, I have to HIT the brakes for awhile from pricey purchases and concentrate on finding (IN-expensive) "scores" at the likes of Antique Shops, Flea Markets, Yard Sales, etc. I am not so proud that I can't own/use a "pre owned" bottle of Cologne or vintage Perfume. Besides, I derive more fun while "on the hunt" looking for (bargain cost) Fragrances in the "Wild". I still can't believe I found a N.I.B. bottle of Santa Maria Novella Cologne the other day for Pennies on the dollar! Whoa!

SixCats!

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
Hi all,

Uggggh. I think I have a OCD problem. In a VERY short period of time (especially since my most recent activity/return here at BN)
I've purchased the following Fragrances (either online and/or local Stores) :

MARLOU "Ambilux"
Christian Dior "Fahrenheit"
Guerlain "Vetiver" (x2)
Caron "L'Anarchiste"
Lalique PH "Lion"
Guerlain "Homme"
Guerlain "Imperial"
Nautica "Voyage"
Beene "Gray Flannel"
Nautica "Blue"
E. Zegna "Uomo"
JV "Dark Rebel"
CK ONE "Shock"
Bentley "Intense"
Lalique "Encre Noire" (and all Flankers/five bottles total)
Tabac
Pinaud Lilac "Vegetal"

I plan to "PUMP the Brakes" soon. That is, after a couple more (really wanted) Fragrances!

SixCats!

Put that Pinaud Lilac Vegetal into a glass bottle and wait 3 weeks. The plastic they use puts some kind of weird scent on the fragrance that will go away after a few weeks when it's put into a glass bottle. You will especially enjoy the Lilac Vegetal scent more than any other from what I've gathered from those who have done this. There is a video on youtube of a guy having people smell the plastic vs glass scented version of Lilac Vegetal and apparently the people could easily smell a dramatic difference.

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
Put that Pinaud Lilac Vegetal into a glass bottle and wait 3 weeks. The plastic they use puts some kind of weird scent on the fragrance that will go away after a few weeks when it's put into a glass bottle. You will especially enjoy the Lilac Vegetal scent more than any other from what I've gathered from those who have done this. There is a video on youtube of a guy having people smell the plastic vs glass scented version of Lilac Vegetal and apparently the people could easily smell a dramatic difference.

Hi tspen,

Yes indeed! I am aware of your excellent suggestion. I need to find the proper Glass bottle to do as you suggested. Actually, I have a really old vintage Pinaud Lilac Vegetal Bottle however, it's difficult to refill this vintage Glass bottle from the plastic bottle without having the proper tools/items to decant. That being said, I MUST find a way and the proper items do this soon! Thanks.

SixCats!

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
My collection went from 6 to 320 from me just needing to get these "couple more that I really want"...

Easy to happen, the fear of not being with them after discontinuation or reformulation is so powerful I still have no regrets because it’s one of the few things that makes me happy in life. Life is great but a pick me up daily by smelling a waft of a fragrance is unbeatable and my highlight of my day.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
Yeah, I had/have this problem too. I went a little overboard recently getting vintages, back-ups, cheapies, and blind-buys. The last impulse buy I made was the Missoni Pour Homme Parfum gift set at the discounters for $35.

I thought I was out, but now I've been tempted again. I recently wore Lapidus Pour Homme and found out it's better than I initially thought. Now I want to blind-buy the flankers, buy Kouros, blind-buy Anteaus...

The Fuzz

Dec 6, 2011
I've mostly stopped purchasing newer fragrances. I'm focusing on backups to my favorites that are no longer available. Just acquired backups of New Haarlem, DHI (silver collar) and Rive Gauche. The new stuff being released today doesn't really interest me

Last edited:

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I've mostly stopped purchasing newer fragrances. I'm focusing on backups to my favorites that are no longer available. Just acquired a backup of New Haarlem, DHI (silver collar) and Rive Gauche. The new stuff being released today doesn't really interest me

Silver collar DHI is wonderful, I own several backups. I wouldn't mind owning more, its that good.

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
Easy to happen, the fear of not being with them after discontinuation or reformulation is so powerful I still have no regrets because it’s one of the few things that makes me happy in life. Life is great but a pick me up daily by smelling a waft of a fragrance is unbeatable and my highlight of my day.

Nicely said speck! The older I become, the more I have become aware, it's the truly "little" things in life seem to take on more importance.

SixCats!

Vitamin D

Jan 8, 2021
You and me both, man. I have worn cologne since I was in middle school, but up until recently I would only buy one bottle at a time and then just wear it until it was empty. I would just go to the department store and pick something out.

In January I decided to pick up another bottle for some variety. Not sure what made me do it, but it set off a chain reaction. Since then I have ordered about 3 dozen samples and bought 15 new bottles! I have spent way too much money that I shouldn't have recently. I just impulse bought a bottle of LV Afternoon Swim tonight and had to really sit myself down and think about this recent impulse purchasing.

I have a couple other full bottles I'm waiting on to restock at the discounter I like. I'm hoping they take a bit to restock for my sake! Either way, I think I need to take a step back for a while and not sample anything new, because that'll only make me want to buy a full bottle. I have plenty to wear now. lol

What do you think caused your tinnitus? Too many concerts without hearing protection? Work environment? I'm 26, and don't have any hearing issues right now, but I've become a lot more conscious of my hearing lately, and planning on taking precautions in the future to protect it. I don't want tinnitus at all.

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
You and me both, man. I have worn cologne since I was in middle school, but up until recently I would only buy one bottle at a time and then just wear it until it was empty. I would just go to the department store and pick something out.

In January I decided to pick up another bottle for some variety. Not sure what made me do it, but it set off a chain reaction. Since then I have ordered about 3 dozen samples and bought 15 new bottles! I have spent way too much money that I shouldn't have recently. I just impulse bought a bottle of LV Afternoon Swim tonight and had to really sit myself down and think about this recent impulse purchasing.

I have a couple other full bottles I'm waiting on to restock at the discounter I like. I'm hoping they take a bit to restock for my sake! Either way, I think I need to take a step back for a while and not sample anything new, because that'll only make me want to buy a full bottle. I have plenty to wear now. lol

What do you think caused your tinnitus? Too many concerts without hearing protection? Work environment? I'm 26, and don't have any hearing issues right now, but I've become a lot more conscious of my hearing lately, and planning on taking precautions in the future to protect it. I don't want tinnitus at all.

Hi VitD,

Cause of Tinnitus ? Hard to say. Possibility due to LOUD Music (Concerts/Home Audio System which was one of my other Hobbies). I also had a slip on the Ice a few Years ago and nearly KO'ed myself......shortly thereafter, I developed Tinnitus. Perhaps just a coinkydink. Yes, be a LOT more conscious of your hearing! Good for you knowing and taking precautions. Trust me, it's no fricken joke this "Tinnitus". Also, go easy on purchasing Fragrance and don't fall down the "Rabbit Hole" like I did lol.

SixCats!

MisterK

Dec 22, 2003
Regarding the original post, "I feel your pain." When I got started I probably accumulated a ton of frags in a really short period of time. It can put a crimp on the credit card and while you may have some of the exhilaration of "the getting" I ended up with a ton of frags that I don't really wear that often (including frags that I like that just sit around in the archive). I'm still guilty of getting more frags than I could possibly use, though they tend to be on the lower priced end of the spectrum and older so they have more of a track record. If I had any sense I would have stopped at 5 frags, not spending so much time lurking around BN, sampled more frags, and just replaced the frags only after depletion.

I completely lack such self-discipline, so I have the bloated frag wardrobe (I suspect many of the long-time posters on here may agree with me to a point).

Regarding backup bottles, I only have two: YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration and Xeryus. The YSL PH HC is accidental. Years ago someone gave it to me for free; he found it revolting, while it is consistently in my top 3 frags of all time. I couldn't beat the price. Recently I got a bottle of Xeryus ... a more modern formulation, not the old black art deco bottle. I already have the art deco bottle and rather like it. I imagined I could see Givenchy discontinuing Xeryus so I got it.

Normally I would not get backups, since I have way too many frags as it is, though I like Xeryus. In retrospect getting Xeryus as a backup it was a mistake (a minor one), I have enough frags that are close in nature. I think if I had a small collection (like <= 5) having backups makes more sense since I would be more apt to use them up. The backup of Xeryus will probably be inherited rather than get used up by me.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
For better or worse, this seems pretty common in enthusiast communities. If you ever frequent music gear forums, it's called G.A.S. — Gear Acquisition Syndrome. It's easy to go overboard buying effects pedals, and some even end up with hundreds of guitars, which can make even the extremes of this hobby seem quaint when you start looking at vintage guitar prices. Fragrances seem uniquely suited to collector-itis because they don't take up much space, the barrier for entry is low (based on price and availability), and it's easy to convince yourself buying just one more won't be redundant.

I've gone down this path several times with different hobbies, and most usually end at a natural stopping point where it just doesn't make sense to keep buying more. With headphones, I finally kicked the habit when I had about a dozen pairs and realized I was only wearing my 2 or 3 favorite pairs. Survival of the fittest, in that case. I worry that may not happen with fragrances!

On some level I can recognize that my own purchasing behavior and constant rabbit hole research is compulsive: it's driven by curiosity, but it's also an excellent distraction from responsibility, imposes something of a quest narrative over an otherwise boring existence, etc. I am cautious about letting it get out of hand, as I've known some folks who took their hobbies to the absolute extreme, where they're functionally hoarding and left with the real world consequence of having to deal with all the crap they buy. I know someone who wound up with a movie collection so large they had to hire full time staff just to process and organize the constant influx of new purchases, and it turned into a major daily stressor. Thankfully I don't have that level of disposable income anyway, but it was a good reminder that possessions can become a burden.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Read some Edward Bernays. You'll (hopefully) lose the compulsion for overconsumption of fragrances soon enough when you realise you're being manipulated by a costly and multifaceted machine.

ScentSensei

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 21, 2020
Since I'm in recovery from 'Gear Aquisition Syndrome' I shouldn't be surprised that a simple quest for a 'more elevated body wash scent' during the pandemic lockdown led to 'Fragrance Aquistion Disorder' .
- I tried to tell myself at one point I should stop buying more bottles until I at least used one bottle all the way(fail)
-I tried to limit myself to only what would fit in my one fragrance tray(multiple tray size upgrades later + aux sample tray- fail)
-I tried to only sample frags first and no more blind buys(Azzaro Wanted By Night, Ferraro Radiant Bergamot and Armaf Craze later - fail)

The bad thing about F.A.D. vs G.A.S. is when you buy, open, and use a fragrance it's gone. When you buy a '62 Stratocaster guitar or a Catalinbread effect pedal at least it retains value.

Luckily these days I no longer have G.A.S. and I smell good(due to F.A.D.).

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
This is why I try to curate my collection on an ongoing basis, balancing out new purchases with splits and sales. It helps me keep things in check a bit, both financially and with managing the size of my collection.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
The bad thing about F.A.D. vs G.A.S. is when you buy, open, and use a fragrance it's gone. When you buy a '62 Stratocaster guitar or a Catalinbread effect pedal at least it retains value.
Yeah, I think that's true to an extent. Used musical equipment always carries an inherent resale value. Besides certain unicorns, that's probably less true for fragrances. But a lot of folks seem to get by, or at least slow the financial bleeding, by reselling bottles or even decanting for a profit. Sounds like too much work for me, but something to consider if you ever find yourself too far underwater.

Nares Hughes

Dec 28, 2018
Hi Jce,

I'll let you know if I do ever start (as I should) a "12 step" Support group for F.A.D.

SixCats!
I'm up for this!

Spenders Anonymous' tagline is "The best things in life aren't things".

I've been on another buying binge lately. They come and go. I sold a lot and got down to 150 fragrances (with multiple back-ups), and am now at a new record for me of around 230.

I noticed last year, at the height of the first COVID wave, that after a period of not buying, the day my dad died of the virus, off I went again. It lasted months.

Not all my 'acquiring' is 'fixing', but knowing myself as I do, there's definitely something to be addressed here. If I feel uncomfortable about it, and I'm having difficulty not doing it, then something's amiss.

Without wanting to get heavy about it, for some of us, if it ain't one thing it's another - thank God it's not Stratocasters!

This is just for me by the way, and I'm certainly not putting my stuff on others' buying habits - each to their own.

Just saying, if anyone else is concerned about their (beautifully titled) F.A.D., then why not PM/DM me or any other likely candidate for a private sharing of any concerns around 'out-of-control' fragrance acquiring?

Sharing helps, eh?

That said, I am enjoying my collection. It's just a bit nuts lately ...

And everybody else can buy and collect and back-up to their heart's content!

Last edited:

Latest News