I think I have F.A.D. (“Fragrance Acquisition Disorder")

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
Hi all,

Uggggh. I think I have a OCD problem. In a VERY short period of time (especially since my most recent activity/return here at BN)
I've purchased the following Fragrances (either online and/or local Stores) :

MARLOU "Ambilux"
Christian Dior "Fahrenheit"
Guerlain "Vetiver" (x2)
Caron "L'Anarchiste"
Lalique PH "Lion"
Guerlain "Homme"
Guerlain "Imperial"
Nautica "Voyage"
Beene "Gray Flannel"
Nautica "Blue"
E. Zegna "Uomo"
JV "Dark Rebel"
CK ONE "Shock"
Bentley "Intense"
Lalique "Encre Noire" (and all Flankers/five bottles total)
Tabac
Pinaud Lilac "Vegetal"

I plan to "PUMP the Brakes" soon. That is, after a couple more (really wanted) Fragrances!

SixCats!

BlindFuryFragFanatic

Jun 27, 2020
I have exploited this social distancing time period by over spraying my favorites every day. Im not making much of a dent in my collection of around 150 different fragrances. Im betting you have 3 times that number :)

I feel like Im maximizing my enjoyment.

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
I have exploited this social distancing time period by over spraying my favorites every day. Im not making much of a dent in my collection of around 150 different fragrances. Im betting you have 3 times that number :)

I feel like Im maximizing my enjoyment.

Hi Blind,

Believe it or not, I have only slightly over one hundred bottles of Cologne/vintage Perfume/Attar Oils (all total). I'll tell ya Blind, I think (in part) the reason I've become so OCD is due to advancing age and the "downside" of aging. That is to say, I am (was) a looong time "Audio" Hobbyist collecting (mostly) vintage Tube Audio gear. About two years ago, I deleloped "Tinnitus". Arrrrrr! So, my enjoyment of listening to music has decreased by a HUGH margin. So, while I still have it working, I'm now concentrating on my sense of smell while I can. Note to all : "Growing older SUCKS!" Oooh, yes indeed BFFF, "MAXIMIZING enjoyment !"

SixCats!

AlphaFrank75

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2017
Hi Blind,

Believe it or not, I have only slightly over one hundred bottles of Cologne/vintage Perfume/Attar Oils (all total). I'll tell ya Blind, I think (in part) the reason I've become so OCD is due to advancing age and the "downside" of aging. That is to say, I am (was) a looong time "Audio" Hobbyist collecting (mostly) vintage Tube Audio gear. About two years ago, I deleloped "Tinnitus". Arrrrrr! So, my enjoyment of listening to music has decreased by a HUGH margin. So, while I still have it working, I'm now concentrating on my sense of smell while I can. Note to all : "Growing older SUCKS!" Oooh, yes indeed BFFF, "MAXIMIZING enjoyment !"

SixCats!

LOL, I retired some time ago and I'm thoroughly enjoying growing older. Fortunately for me I don't have any health issues. I have all the time in the world to do what I want which currently is searching for my latest fragrance acquisition, vintage please.

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
F.A.D. makes me feel I'm not completely in control - and it's a feeling I don't like. I'm done buying for now!

I hear ya motor. I have set a limit of two (MAYBE) three more (albeit a bit pricy) purchases and after that, I do believe I will be done buying for the most part.
As I mentioned on the pages of BN, I have more Cologne/Perfumes/Attar Oils I could use in TEN lifetimes.

SixCats!

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
LOL, I retired some time ago and I'm thoroughly enjoying growing older. Fortunately for me I don't have any health issues. I have all the time in the world to do what I want which currently is searching for my latest fragrance acquisition, vintage please.

I happy to hear you are enjoying retirement AlphaFrank. I too do enjoy retirement however, things like "Tinnitus" truly is madding! Thankfully, there are times the "Tinnitus" is less active. That being said, I too so enjoy having the time to "play" and be involved with (presently) my long time Fragrance Hobby. My GOAL is to find a vintage bottle of "Guerlain" Jicky (on the cheap). Hey, it could happen!

SixCats!

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
OP - you'll know when it's time to stop! For now - enjoy! :smiley:

Right you are hednic. I am having a good time now (but spending a bit too much money). Then again, perhaps it just seems like a lot of money, I mean, yea, it is a goodly amount to be spending on Cologne but, how much money might one spend for a set of new Golf Clubs/associated gear/Golf Club Membership/Green fees, etc. ? Or perhaps someone who collects vintage Cars ? In the big picture, I'm a "cheapskate" at Heart. A lot of my Fragrance collection is made up of Perfumes/Colognes found at the likes of Antique Shops/Thrift Shops/Yard Sales. Only my very TOP Fragrances are purchased new.

SixCats!

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
I hear ya motor. I have set a limit of two (MAYBE) three more (albeit a bit pricy) purchases and after that, I do believe I will be done buying for the most part.
As I mentioned on the pages of BN, I have more Cologne/Perfumes/Attar Oils I could use in TEN lifetimes.

SixCats!

Yeah, no doubt there's more juice in my cabinet that can be used in a lifetime.

My new year's resolution was "one new bottle in 2021". And I've bought 13 this year. What's more, early on I "promised" myself not to go down the Vintage Route (partly because of my experiences from the wet shaving side) but half of my purchases in 2021 have been vintages...

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
Yeah, no doubt there's more juice in my cabinet that can be used in a lifetime.

My new year's resolution was "one new bottle in 2021". And I've bought 13 this year. What's more, early on I "promised" myself not to go down the Vintage Route (partly because of my experiences from the wet shaving side) but half of my purchases in 2021 have been vintages...

Too funny motor. I know how difficult it is to resist the purchase of "just one more" Fragrance. Thankfully, I haven't gotten too caught up in the"vintage" Cologne hunting aspect of this hobby. I do however (by happenstance) own many (some very desirable) vintage Perfumes. Also (if it ever arrives) I finally found ONE (circa 2000) bottle of Cologne I purchased from a fellow BN'er that will be "SOMETHING WONDERFUL". God, I only hope it arrives soon as it's been well over a week and I'm beginning to become concerned about the entire transaction/situation. More on this later. Ooh, lol, Wet Shaving eh ? motor, I can't recall if I had mentioned to you (or another member) that I'm now in my second year of collecting and using (mostly) vintage Gillette Razors (as of March 2021). I stated collecting vintage Razors back in March of 2019 and (oooh, no OCD here) have collect over TWO HUNDRED vintage Razors in twenty four months. I have : Single Rings, FATBOY, (James Bond Goldfinger 1964 year) Slim, 1941 Ranger Tech, "NEW", NEW IMPROVED, Military, Diplomat, English #58, Super Speeds, Blue Tip, Red Tip, Black Tip, T.V. Special, Tech, BIG FELLOW, BIG BOY, BULLDOG, ABC Pocket Editions and so many others I can't even recall lol. Oooh, I also have a (non Gillette) favorite the "Barbasol Floating Head Razor" which is awesome! I keep about twenty (user) Razors in my shaving rotation. So yea, no OCD on my part lol.

SixCats!

Jcelello

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2019
Nice acquisitions. I share your disorder and have for some years now. Let me know if you ever start a support group (kidding... kind of).

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
MARLOU "Ambilux"
Guerlain "Vetiver" (x2)
Caron "L'Anarchiste"
Lalique PH "Lion"
Guerlain "Homme"
Guerlain "Imperial"
Beene "Gray Flannel"
JV "Dark Rebel"
Tabac
Pinaud Lilac "Vegetal"

We all have, otherwise we wouldn't be hanging in here. Furthermore, these are all great ones, in my book. The only thing I'd be careful are the back-ups, that might reveal to be unnecessary in the long run. (even if Guerlain Vetiver is probably one of the only 2-3 that I will absolutely need at anytime in my life, and thus that might be back up worthy even for me)

techt

Nov 2, 2016
SixCats I believe we all at Basenotes somehow have the same disorder, fortunately for me, every time I hit 100 bottles, I hit the brakes and start selling mostly impulse acquisitions until I reach 50 bottles. Then the cycle starts again. :lolk:

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
Nice acquisitions. I share your disorder and have for some years now. Let me know if you ever start a support group (kidding... kind of).

Hi Jce,

I'll let you know if I do ever start (as I should) a "12 step" Support group for F.A.D.

SixCats!

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
SixCats I believe we all at Basenotes somehow have the same disorder, fortunately for me, every time I hit 100 bottles, I hit the brakes and start selling mostly impulse acquisitions until I reach 50 bottles. Then the cycle starts again. :lolk:

Hi techt,

Ya know, I like your method/approach. I should do the same!

SixCats!

Mona Visa

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 23, 2014
F. A. D.

So THAT's what it is. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I think I exceeded my perfume limit this week. WHO am I kidding, I KNOW I did.

I read your list though and now I don't feel so bad. :laugh:

...and the "just one more" thing, that's the truth. And I know which one it is! For today, anyway.

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
We all have, otherwise we wouldn't be hanging in here. Furthermore, these are all great ones, in my book. The only thing I'd be careful are the back-ups, that might reveal to be unnecessary in the long run. (even if Guerlain Vetiver is probably one of the only 2-3 that I will absolutely need at anytime in my life, and thus that might be back up worthy even for me)

Hi Andy,

I'm a little bit surprised so many BN'er believe "not" owning "backup" bottle(s) is acceptable. I just can't imagine (especially considering my recently MARLOU scare) if suddenly ones (almost depleted) very favorite Fragrances were suddenly no longer available. Now, I certainly understand having a backup bottle for every liked Fragrance might be a bit over the top however, I think having at least ONE "backup" bottle of a couple/three of ones most favorite Fragrances make perfect sense. Case in point. One of my TOP Fragrances is "L'Artisan "Dzing!" (especially the Circus Girl riding atop the Tiger label bottle). My bottle was nearing depletion back in 2018. I began hearing rumors (as we often do) a couple of years ago that "Dzing!" might go the way of the Dinosaurs. As luck would have it (for reasons I'll never understand) FragranceNet was "blowing out" L'Artisan "Dzing!" at at cost (in my book) too good to be true. This was back in 2018. I purchased two additional bottles of "Dzing!" as I could not imagine my no longer being able to enjoy "Dzing!" (since it is one of my very favorite Fragrances being so unique). Flash forward to present day 2021 and L'Artisan "Dzing!" is NO more! "Dzing!" has now gone the way of the Saber-Toothed Tiger". Andy, you have no idea how STOKED I am about my having two bottles of "Dzing!" stashed away to take me into the future (most likely the rest of my life). Some other Fragrances may come and go and I'm (more or less) ok with that however, there is perhaps a half dozen Fragrance favorites that I would sorely miss/crave if no longer available and it's those half dozen that I plan to purchase at least one "backup" bottle. To be sure, there are a few other MUST (first purchase) bottles I want to buy. I will purchase these Fragrances before buying more backup bottles. At any rate, this method works for me and, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

L'Artisan "Dzing!" (backed up)
Santa Maria Novella "Nostalgia"
Santa Maria Novella "Acqua di Cuba"
Caron "Yatagan" (backed up)
Marlou d'ambiguite (now called "Ambilux" backed up)
Christian Dior "Eau Sauvage"
Lalique "Encre Norie and all Flankers (backed up)

SixCats!

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Pretty much the majority though not necessarily all of us here have the same and are in a similar/identical situation anyway-therefore can fully relate as well.
However would still enjoy the bright side considering the sheer greatness that such particular brought you closer to but also made possible to amass at often bargain, advantageous prices.

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
Pretty much the majority though not necessarily all of us here have the same and are in a similar/identical situation anyway-therefore can fully relate as well.
However would still enjoy the bright side considering the sheer greatness that such particular brought you closer to but also made possible to amass at often bargain, advantageous prices.

Thank you again Ken_

While I do spurge for a chosen "few" (mostly Niche) favorite Fragrances, the bulk of my collection is made up of mostly "On Sale/Close Out" priced items and/or Fragrances I happen to find at the likes of Antique Shops/Flea Markets/Yard Sales/Junk Stores, etc. I am a cheapskate at Heart, and half the fun for me with the Fragrance Hobby is "The Thrill of the Hunt" and my hoping to find a "Treasure" Fragrance at a bargain price. I am not so proud that I can't purchase a "pre owned" bottle of Fragrances. Ken_, you may have seen (or not) the thread I did the other day. I almost had "Heart failure" as I found a N.I.B. bottle of Santa Maria Novella "Gelosmino" at an "Antique Shop" at a cost savings of well over one hundred dollars had I purchased (any) SMN Cologne on line. Now, THAT's what I'm talking about! I swear, I live for these type of scores. That being said, I find more Vintage Perfume than I do Cologne. I most recently found a very cool vintage bottle (circa late 1950's early 60's) of "Moment Supreme" by Patou which still has a goodly amount (30ml or thereabouts) of Perfume remaining in the bottle and, it's still viable and strong/lovely smelling! Great Vintage Perfume. In the past, I've also found "Bal a Versaille", Joy, Ma Griffe, Rumeur, Magie, Yendi, Quadrille, Norell, Lavin, Houbigant, Rochas and one of my favorite finds, a (half full) large bottle of vintage ECUSSON by Jean d'Albert. YES! My point being, even when I do stop purchasing expensive NEW Fragrances (it's getting costly) I try to find a different "angle/approach" to keep this Fragrance Hobby interesting. As much as I enjoy spending the "crazy" money on "Niche" Fragrances, I derive more FUN when finding deals on Colognes/Perfumes in the wild. As you say Ken_, I'm truly enjoying the "bright side".

SixCats!

BlindFuryFragFanatic

Jun 27, 2020
Hi Blind,

SixCats!

I understand, Ill bet you attack subjects that youre passionate about with utmost attention and relentless inquiries for more information. Nice to be here with you.

My body is also starting to break down now and I have several injuries myself. I am grateful for what health I do have though, especially the doctor that fixed my deviated septum. I went from not being to smell at all in one nostril to being able EVERYTHING like that nostril had ever been used.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Hi Andy,

I'm a little bit surprised so many BN'er believe "not" owning "backup" bottle(s) is acceptable. I just can't imagine (especially considering my recently MARLOU scare) if suddenly ones (almost depleted) very favorite Fragrances were suddenly no longer available. Now, I certainly understand having a backup bottle for every liked Fragrance might be a bit over the top however, I think having at least ONE "backup" bottle of a couple/three of ones most favorite Fragrances make perfect sense. [...]

Some other Fragrances may come and go and I'm (more or less) ok with that however, there is perhaps a half dozen Fragrance favorites that I would sorely miss/crave if no longer available and it's those half dozen that I plan to purchase at least one "backup" bottle. [...]

If I had a collection <10 frags, I would definitely own 5 back ups of each, because these would have been my holy grail top10 that I want too make sure not to live without and make sure I'll smell in 10 years the exact same smell as today.
That said, in my case, I have 300+ bottles (of which I plan to sell a good ~100 very soon), so I'd rather buy 'variations on the same theme' instead of back-ups. For example, I love Lancetti Monsieur. Did I buy a backup? No, I prefered to "diversify" with other fragrances "on the same shelf: Villoresi Sandalo, Villoresi Uomo, Loewe pour Homme and JD Santal Superbe.

But as you said, yes, there are a couple of fragrances that I might want to get back ups of, like Guerlain Vetiver (in concerns for reformulations - although apparently current version is very close to the 90's reissue) and Gucci Guilty Absolute (I love it, even if not a favourite of mine, but I want to make sure to have it life long without having to pay $300 a pop on ebay, like for the original YSL M7 in example...). There are a couple of others that indeed I might want to backup, because they don't smell 'trendy' and it is possible that the brands might decide to discontinue it at some point (the previously cited LV Sandalo, Eau d'Hermes and Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur, with the latter already discontinued, hopefully just on a temporary base).

OldSchoolScents

Jun 7, 2019
MY FAD is brought on by FOMO. Seems a ton of classics are getting the axe these days, or rumoured to be, so I'm buying them up so I don't miss out. My last 3 purchases were bottles rumored to be on the chopping block, some new to my collection and others, like Kouros, are backup bottles.

Normally I limit myself to buying on rare occasions, usually a couple times a year during sales I buy the bottles I've been really wanting, but FOMO has made my buy a few more things. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have them, no bad purchases, but it makes me spend a little more than I'd like to.

Mar 8, 2016
Re: I think I have F.A.D. (“Fragrance Acquisition Disorder&quot;)

Hi all,

Uggggh. I think I have a OCD problem. In a VERY short period of time (especially since my most recent activity/return here at BN)
I've purchased the following Fragrances (either online and/or local Stores) :

MARLOU "Ambilux"
Guerlain "Vetiver" (x2)
Caron "L'Anarchiste"
Lalique PH "Lion"
Guerlain "Homme"
Guerlain "Imperial"
Nautica "Voyage"
Beene "Gray Flannel"
Nautica "Blue"
E. Zegna "Uomo"
JV "Dark Rebel"
CK ONE "Shock"
Bentley "Intense"
Tabac
Pinaud Lilac "Vegetal"

I plan to "PUMP the Brakes" soon. That is, after a couple more (really wanted) Fragrances!

SixCats!
This is perfectly normal [emoji846].

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
F. A. D.

So THAT's what it is. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I think I exceeded my perfume limit this week. WHO am I kidding, I KNOW I did.

I read your list though and now I don't feel so bad. :laugh:

...and the "just one more" thing, that's the truth. And I know which one it is! For today, anyway.

Hi Mona,

It appears we are not alone and in fact, in GOOD company!

SixCats!

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
I understand, Ill bet you attack subjects that youre passionate about with utmost attention and relentless inquiries for more information. Nice to be here with you.

My body is also starting to break down now and I have several injuries myself. I am grateful for what health I do have though, especially the doctor that fixed my deviated septum. I went from not being to smell at all in one nostril to being able EVERYTHING like that nostril had ever been used.

Hi BFFF,

I hear ya Brother. I'll be sixty six this July and I can't believe how QUICKLY time has passed. I was in my (late) 40's when I first joined BN. Ugggh. I'm happy for you BFFF that you have a good Doc who helped out you Med situation. It's bad enough I have to deal with my "Tinnitus" however, loosing ones sense of smell would be equally (if not worse) a situation as it would not only screw up ones Fragrance Hobby but no doubt RUIN ones ability to properly taste food. I think I'd lose my Mind! I am a HUGH Fan of "Indian" Food and I'd be more than depressed if I couldn't taste my favorite Indian cuisine. Hang in BFFF and take care of your Health as best you can. Believe me, I'm fighting a constant battle of loosing weight however, I'm slowly making progress.

SixCats!

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
As long as you're happy with, can afford and enjoy it. Beware of BN enablers though.

Thanks Russel. On the whole, I am quite happy with my Fragrances Hobby. Afford ? Ummmm, I'm sort of already "pumping the Brakes". Yea, BN "enablers" lol. I think we're all "enablers" to one degree or another. You too have fun!

SixCats!

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
If I had a collection <10 frags, I would definitely own 5 back ups of each, because these would have been my holy grail top10 that I want too make sure not to live without and make sure I'll smell in 10 years the exact same smell as today.
That said, in my case, I have 300+ bottles (of which I plan to sell a good ~100 very soon), so I'd rather buy 'variations on the same theme' instead of back-ups. For example, I love Lancetti Monsieur. Did I buy a backup? No, I prefered to "diversify" with other fragrances "on the same shelf: Villoresi Sandalo, Villoresi Uomo, Loewe pour Homme and JD Santal Superbe.

But as you said, yes, there are a couple of fragrances that I might want to get back ups of, like Guerlain Vetiver (in concerns for reformulations - although apparently current version is very close to the 90's reissue) and Gucci Guilty Absolute (I love it, even if not a favourite of mine, but I want to make sure to have it life long without having to pay $300 a pop on ebay, like for the original YSL M7 in example...). There are a couple of others that indeed I might want to backup, because they don't smell 'trendy' and it is possible that the brands might decide to discontinue it at some point (the previously cited LV Sandalo, Eau d'Hermes and Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur, with the latter already discontinued, hopefully just on a temporary base).

Hi Andy,

I hear and understand you better now. I think it good. Yes, backups of those "special" Fragrances. What's this ? Has LV "Sandalo" been discontinued ? Ugggh.
I had that LV back in the day and it was very nice! There is NO way I would spend some of the CRAZY pricing being asked for certain Vintage Colognes (or too expensive Colognes for that matter). Today (I have a thread on this) finally received an old favorite Fragrance of mine (from back in the day) I purchased from a BN "seller". While the Cologne was not exactly inexpensive, I thought it a fair price considering that I've been trying to find a bottle of this long lost/discontinued Fragrance for fifteen years (or more).
I just HAD to make this purchase and I acted quickly least I may have never/ever again have this chance to purchase again. Sometimes, ya just got to say, what the Hell and go for it.

SixCats!

BlindFuryFragFanatic

Jun 27, 2020
Hi BFFF,

I hear ya Brother. I'll be sixty six this July and I can't believe how QUICKLY time has passed. I was in my (late) 40's when I first joined BN. Ugggh. I'm happy for you BFFF that you have a good Doc who helped out you Med situation. It's bad enough I have to deal with my "Tinnitus" however, loosing ones sense of smell would be equally (if not worse) a situation as it would not only screw up ones Fragrance Hobby but no doubt RUIN ones ability to properly taste food. I think I'd lose my Mind! I am a HUGH Fan of "Indian" Food and I'd be more than depressed if I couldn't taste my favorite Indian cuisine. Hang in BFFF and take care of your Health as best you can. Believe me, I'm fighting a constant battle of loosing weight however, I'm slowly making progress.

SixCats!

Thats the best way to lose and helps so many other areas of the body. Hang in there, Six!

Yes Perfumery is nice because I dont have to travel to the Louvre to see it. It can just be delivered to my front door step! Im not rushed, there are no pushy people to ruin the experience. It's just me and the juice. . and usually friends.

Latest News