I peeled the label off of a Creed bottle

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
On my bottle of Aventus Cologne, I noticed that the silver wraparound label had a couple of small air bubbles. I never realized that the label on these bottles are simply stuck on with an adhesive; I guess I had just always thought that the labels were built into the bottles and could not be removed. I fidgeted with the label a bit and ended up removing it completely. There was a lot of adhesive stuck to the glass, so I spent some time cleaning it off. This may sound blasphemous, but I quite like the way the bottle now looks with its clear liquid and unmarked glass.

I'm not sure if anyone has done this before, but for those wondering, here is what a de-labeled Creed looks like...

20210726_123836.jpg

20210726_123909.jpg

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Creed still hand bottles everything so I'm not surprised it's a quickly hand-applied sticker. Their old bottles were clear with a label-maker type printout on the front. Very DIY

One of the big complaints about the brand, poor quality control on bottles, and I guess that stems from them originally focusing on decanting from big flacons into expensive atomizers that you bought separately and returned to refill.

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
I had an ex who used to always peel labels off of beer bottles.
No really..I mean we would go to a bar, he would get a bottle of beer..and he would pull the labels off! It was really weird! XD
I asked him once why he liked to do that, but I could never get a straight answer out of him! XD
I think he was just slightly neurotic. (Of course he was neurotic..he didn't like me! XD)
But..he could never pull off the whole thing in one piece all at once. He ended up making a mess of the labels, usually. And..I think there were always some traces of paper left behind on the bottle! So..it wasn't like he was trying to impress me or anything! (Or..if he was it was just weird! XD)

I have to admit, PrinceRF, I'm actually fairly impressed by the fact that you seem to have cleanly peeled your label off all in one piece in one go..and that your whole bottle is now perfectly naked and shiny clean! 8 0 I have never seen that before! I think you have a superpower! ;)
I also have to admit the Creed bottles are rather pretty with no label! :)

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I have to admit, PrinceRF, I'm actually fairly impressed by the fact that you seem to have cleanly peeled your label off all in one piece in one go..and that your whole bottle is now perfectly naked and shiny clean! 8 0 I have never seen that before! I think you have a superpower! ;)
I also have to admit the Creed bottles are rather pretty with no label! :)

The label came off in one strip rather easily. The stickiness on the bottle was the real hardship...

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Actually- fun fact remembered by old timers...the CREED bottles for years had NO label at all and each bottle looked identical.
The CREED logo was embossed on the front and the name of the particular scent was cheaply stamp printed on the bottom side of the bottle.
My bottles of BAIE DE GENIEVRE, VETIVER, ROYAL ENGLISH LEATHER and ROYAL SCOTTISH LAVENDER are all like this. My first BOIS DU PORTUGAL was in this style.

TABAROME MILLESIME was the first I saw with a printed label on the front of bottle.

GREEN IRISH TWEED came in black bottle. MILLESIME IMPERIALE came in a gold bottle.

I think AVENTUS was the first to do that sort of form fitting wrap around label.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I never liked those sticker sleeves that they wrapped around the bottles. The adhesive on my 10 year old Aventus bottle dried up and the sticker came off. I had to tape it back down on to the bottle otherwise I would have had to remove it all together. I might be the only one here who thinks the Creed stickers look ugly.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I never liked those sticker sleeves that they wrapped around the bottles. The adhesive on my 10 year old Aventus bottle dried up and the sticker came off. I had to tape it back down on to the bottle otherwise I would have had to remove it all together. I might be the only one here who thinks the Creed stickers look ugly.

No, I'm not a fan of those wraparound labels either. Feels kinda forced.

My old gray caps are annoying in that you have to pick up the bottle to look at the bottom, but still find that preferable to plastic wrap labels.

I do like the consistency of the Creed bottle shape and their logo, but they never really have worked out the labeling very well.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Actually- fun fact remembered by old timers...the CREED bottles for years had NO label at all and each bottle looked identical.
The CREED logo was embossed on the front and the name of the particular scent was cheaply stamp printed on the bottom side of the bottle.
My bottles of BAIE DE GENIEVRE, VETIVER, ROYAL ENGLISH LEATHER and ROYAL SCOTTISH LAVENDER are all like this. My first BOIS DU PORTUGAL was in this style.

Nice work.

I like the (very) old Creed bottles and you've basically re-created their exact look.

I'm not familiar with these. Were they all plain glass bottles with clear liquid like mine?

That bottle looks pretty classy. If it were one’s only Creed perfume, no problem knowing what it is. A single labelless bottle could work as a nice signature scent display.

Clear bottle looks awesome!

Looks pretty good!

Thanks, I agree! I actually prefer this look for this particular bottle.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
No, I'm not a fan of those wraparound labels either. Feels kinda forced.

My old gray caps are annoying in that you have to pick up the bottle to look at the bottom, but still find that preferable to plastic wrap labels.

I do like the consistency of the Creed bottle shape and their logo, but they never really have worked out the labeling very well.

Why couldn't Creed just embossed the name on the front of the bottle? That would've made things easier.

Sometimes even the name label sticker was missing which means you would have to smell it and be already familiar with their creations in order to identify them. I've seen quite a few of these on ebay over the years.

I'm not familiar with these. Were they all plain glass bottles with clear liquid like mine?

Thanks, I agree! I actually prefer this look for this particular bottle.
I think most of them had the clear bottle look many years ago. Only a few were not clear bottle like Millesime Imperial, Silver Mountain Water, Himalaya, Spring Flower.

CREED GREEN IRISH TWEED VINTAGE 2007.jpg

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Those look nice. I agree though that they should just emboss the name into the glass like they do with their logo.

Fugufish

May 30, 2020
Nice! Especially the Aventus (and Viking) bottles look horrible with their wraparound. Aventus always makes me think of the black sushi wrap (the algae). Why can‘t they make all bottles nice like MI (gold), SMW (white), etc? Would work for consistency for sure.
7993a97aa7e2a9ab11a476c9f93e21b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
I think if I had a lot more money I would collect some Creed bottles..they're really nice actually! :)
I'm not always too fussed about the actual fragrances, but the bottles..that's another story! :)

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Hope you love it and won't change your mind about it, because I doubt anyone will risk to buy an unlabelled used Creed bottle, given how many fakes are hanging around..

As for aesthetics, I agree, it looks better!

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Hope you love it and won't change your mind about it, because I doubt anyone will risk to buy an unlabelled used Creed bottle, given how many fakes are hanging around..

As for aesthetics, I agree, it looks better!

Right. The only reasonable assurance of authenticity would be my reputation on Basenotes and my feedback page. Still, I wouldn't blame someone for avoiding this bottle when I inevitable try to sell it.

Seems like many people like the look of it now, as I do!

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Right. The only reasonable assurance of authenticity would be my reputation on Basenotes and my feedback page. Still, I wouldn't blame someone for avoiding this bottle when I inevitable try to sell it.

Seems like many people like the look of it now, as I do!

I was more thinking at eBay.
I distrust feedback on ebay when there are 500 feedback votes, figure 20 feedbacks on BN.... Anyways, you got my point, I think.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
Taking off the label is definitely committing to owning that bottle for life I would think. Which is fine of course! Personally, my bottles of Viking and Aventus both have those janky bubbles under the label that yours had.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Why couldn't Creed just embossed the name on the front of the bottle? That would've made things easier.

Would be great. Not an expert on glass production, but seems pretty clear embossed/raised name would be a very pricey addition.
The beauty of their current bottles is that the same basic bottles are used for everything. Some exceptions are made for the opaque or tinted glass bottles.

But betting raised letters in the glass would be way too costly and not one of us would green light it if it was our company.

There were all plain glass. Liquid was not always clear. Depended on which scent it was.

Here's an old "gray cap" VETIVER. But note that there was gold plate on the logo. Name only on bottom of bottle.

oldcreed.jpg

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Nice! Especially the Aventus (and Viking) bottles look horrible with their wraparound. Aventus always makes me think of the black sushi wrap (the algae). Why can‘t they make all bottles nice like MI (gold), SMW (white), etc?

The analogy with the sushi wrap/algae made me laugh a lot - and I know this post is quite old, but it still stands today.

I much prefer Creed's flacons. Better for splitting/decanting into atomisers/giving some juice away and you don't have to suffer from the atomiser problems that Creed was notorious for 10 or so years ago.

Mind you, my newest bottles (e.g. Creed Viking Cologne) have very good atomisers and don't leak.

Staff online

Latest News