Huddler Import (part One)

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
Just a heads up, I have imported all the forum posts from the Huddler era (may 2013 - Oct 2013). Currently the only posts you'll see are the ones that were posted to threads that existed prior to Huddler. The remaining posts (ie, from threads that were created during that time) will be dealt with in the next few weeks.

huddler-ugh.jpg

With regards to images - sadly looking though the files I was given, 95% of the images weren't included, they were supposed to be, but seeing as the company no longer exists, they are now gone I'm afraid. I'm very sorry about that. You may be able to seek out some of them on archive.org here, where at least some of the thumbnails are available. (eg, here you can see Hednic's impressive collection of fragrances)

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Will the associated images also be imported from those Huddler threads? I would love to have those images of my collection back from 2013.

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
  • Admin
Will the associated images also be imported from those Huddler threads? I would love to have those images of my collection back from 2013.

It’s unlikely I’m afraid. There’s a bunch of images embedded as text within the data they gave me, but converting them will take a while, and it probably accounts for 5% of the images. We can hope but it’s unlikely. Sorry.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
It’s unlikely I’m afraid. There’s a bunch of images embedded as text within the data they gave me, but converting them will take a while, and it probably accounts for 5% of the images. We can hope but it’s unlikely. Sorry.
That's quite all right Grant. I just thought it would have been nice to have them back to finally be able to muzzle certain naysayers.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
That's quite all right Grant. I just thought it would have been nice to have them back to finally be able to muzzle certain naysayers.

If it's not too much trouble, you could always retake or if physically prohibitive, have someone else retake them for you. I'm curious about that triangular guitar-like instrument seen in one of the pictures, to be honest.

I can see enough from the available thumbnails that your love for Bogart, Fragonard and Montale is definitely real. I can see assortments of other fragrances too, but knowing what you post as SOTD a lot, it's nice to actually see your favorites all lined up like that.

Naysayers will always just find something else to question or complain about anyway, as we've seen time and time again here. I try not to concern myself with doubters until they make the mistake of forcing me to address them. I'm not as nice as you are about it, either. ;)

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I'm sorry. I wish I could, but I explained the situation in the first post of the thread: https://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/374968
I would love to see all 276 posts again though. :smiley:

I hadn't seen this post because I wasn't active in the forums then! It explains everything now! Either way, the collection was cool to look at, and people told me what that instrument was.

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
Thanks, Grant! Any chance of adding our SOTD stats from that period as well??

Yup

Though that might be post relaunch

The forum posts are easier to plug into the current forum as I'm familiar with it, so when we go to the new one, they'll all transfer over.

SOTD stuff is all my own code, so will be easier to do when we've moved in.

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
Okay, all 8,935 Huddler Era threads are now Imported - they are currently all dumped in a hidden Huddler forum for a few reasons:

• They don't currently have any info connected to them as to which forum they are in, so I'll need to write a script to do that.
  • As the threads are new to this software, they aren't properly indexed - the main issue with this, is that if you attempt to go the second page of a thread, it doesn't like it

I'm rebuilding the thread index at the moment, which will take some time due to (a) this being old software, (b) the total amount of threads in the DB (currently it's taking about 1 second to rebuild each thread. That doesn't sound a lot but there are 314,150 threads on here, so that roughly works out at 3 and a half days! Might see of there's a way of speeding it up)

Another thing I've noticed it accent characters are messed up, but I'll write a script to fix this at a later date. The most important thing is the info is there!

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
I'm rebuilding the thread index at the moment, which will take some time due to (a) this being old software, (b) the total amount of threads in the DB (currently it's taking about 1 second to rebuild each thread. That doesn't sound a lot but there are 314,150 threads on here, so that roughly works out at 3 and a half days! Might see of there's a way of speeding it up)

Found a way to offset it, so it's not rebuilding every forum thread, just the Hudlder ones! That brings the estimated time down to a few hours!

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
Any update when Huddler Import (Part Two) will be coming and what will be included in that?

It's on the to-do list, but as it's already been 8 years, it can wait a little more -- at least until I've finished some of the missing features here. What will be included will be all of the posts created during the Huddler time, but sadly not images, as explained before.

Staff online

Latest News