how to tincture storax

gido

May 31, 2008
note: i mean storax, from the turkish tree, not benzoin. i think the other name of storax is liquidambar, lots of confusing exist on this point.

i am new to this. never made a tincture before. i have read what i could find (links to more sources more than welcome) and from what i gather, you can -generally- dissolve resins in alcohol, sometimes with the aid of slight heating.

does this work for storax?
if possible, a detailed step-by-step explanation would be great.

janmeut

Aug 11, 2006
You mean the resin of Liquidambar species like L. Orientalis, also known as Sweetgum

You simply add some of the resin to pure alcohol and wait some time (a month will do). Afterwards you filtrate the residu (most of the styrax will solve in the alcohol).

In Europe a product is sold as storax that is actualy charcoal with some fragrance on it, in case you use this most of the "storax" will not solve.

gido

May 31, 2008
hello janmeut,

how does one distinguish between the two? what i have could be the coal indeed, it is black and crumbles when you press it firmly. when burned up, it suddenly glows orange for a few seconds and turns to ash.

if this is the coal, what does the real deal look (and smell) like?

janmeut

Aug 11, 2006
Real storax behaves more like a resin, brittle, but harder than charcoal. It smells different too and is usualy more expensive.

Latest News