How to dilute vanilla oleoresin?

Dec 16, 2021
I have a bottle of vanilla oleoresin from Florihana (EO supplier) that is 75% vanilla and 25% alcohol. However, when I added alcohol to dilute it further to 10%, it looks like it's not mixing at all. When I looked it up in TGSC, it says that the oleoresin is soluble in water but not in alcohol. I'm so confused! Isn't it weird to dilute something in water for perfumery? Should I have diluted it in propylene glycol?

tyriekm

Mar 19, 2019
Maybe try diluting it in a bit of DPG or TEC? Have you tried any other dilutants?

Also, what alcohol did you add to the already-diluted blend?

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
I have a bottle of vanilla oleoresin from Florihana (EO supplier) that is 75% vanilla and 25% alcohol. However, when I added alcohol to dilute it further to 10%, it looks like it's not mixing at all. When I looked it up in TGSC, it says that the oleoresin is soluble in water but not in alcohol. I'm so confused! Isn't it weird to dilute something in water for perfumery? Should I have diluted it in propylene glycol?
Maybe it was only 25% alcohol, because that is the limit it has for solubility in alcohol...?
Or maybe the water content of that alcohol is high...?
Oleoresins are not really for fragrances, but for flavors.
Some do not dissolve with alcohol, and need water instead.

Personally, I didn't find Vanilla Oleoresin that useful, but you may have different requirements.

GallupPerfume

Nov 8, 2021
First, I would use a warm water bath to aid in making it a bit more mobile in the alcohol. Although it may separate when it cools. You have some trial and error ahead of you. Dependig on how much you have, I would do little test batches, in differt solvents (diluents). Also depending on what your intended use is, could determine which direction you could go. For example if its for food use you wouldn't want to dilute it in DPG. So assuming perfumery, is 100% natural important to you, if so, I'd try TEC (Triethyl Citrate) may or may not work. If thats not a big deal to you than you have more options. If its not for perfume, you could try another carrier oil, anything except not FCO. You oculd also try diluting it in another fragrance material, if you're using another essential oil or aroma chemical, if you use those.

Dec 16, 2021
Thanks for all the advice! I love the complexity of the vanilla oleoresin which is why I was curious to try it in a perfume. Compared to ethyl vanillin, it has a certain smokiness and a fruity quality, almost like port wine. In the past, I've let it sit in jojoba oil and after a few weeks it infuses nicely. This time, I used 96% ethyl alcohol to dilute it, as I don't actually own DPG. However, if it's going to be this complicated to dilute (especially as it is very expensive) I might stick to ethyl vanillin and find other ways to add the complexity!

That said, do you think DPG is essential for a perfumer to have on hand?

GallupPerfume

Nov 8, 2021
Thanks for all the advice! I love the complexity of the vanilla oleoresin which is why I was curious to try it in a perfume. Compared to ethyl vanillin, it has a certain smokiness and a fruity quality, almost like port wine. In the past, I've let it sit in jojoba oil and after a few weeks it infuses nicely. This time, I used 96% ethyl alcohol to dilute it, as I don't actually own DPG. However, if it's going to be this complicated to dilute (especially as it is very expensive) I might stick to ethyl vanillin and find other ways to add the complexity!

That said, do you think DPG is essential for a perfumer to have on hand?
Ethyl Vanilliin is easier, isn't it? DPG, Yes I do, for many reasons.

Latest News