How to date (and open) chanel‘s eau de cologne no5 ?

jaromil

Jan 14, 2017
dear basenoters,

i just got a tiny vintage splash-bottle of chanel‘s no5 eau de cologne and i may need some help cause i dont have any idea how old this gem is (sadly to say i cannot find any batchcode on the bottle and i dont have the box), if its a real chanel or a fake
and even worse;
i have no idea how to open the bottle (i‘m afraid of breaking something maybe..) cause there is a fix metallic seal on top that keeps the bottle from leaking.

any ideas ? :)

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I've never had one of those. Worst case would require needle-nose pliers or wire cutters, but I imagine it comes off by hand.

jaromil

Jan 14, 2017
I've never had one of those. Worst case would require needle-nose pliers or wire cutters, but I imagine it comes off by hand.

thank you for your suggestions. ;-)
i think this should work. but maybe i was hoping for some
"more elegant" insider-trick. :lolk:

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I think those metal plugs are meant to twist off by hand. But I'll bet they're hard to get a grip on, so I would wrap it in a thick rubber band before I started twisting.

Also, as Bavard suggests, try gripping it in a pair of pliers.

jaromil

Jan 14, 2017
It seems that the top-part (metallic) is stuck on the neck of the bottle, as if it was unglued from the stopper...am I wrong ? Correct me if so.

hey there.. i think that metallic seal is not a part of the cap, it looks like everything is where it belongs.
there is even a decorative print on the metallic top. but i could be wrong.

E241FC94-5065-4D45-BB7D-4DDE3A44E4BD.jpeg

jaromil

Jan 14, 2017
I think those metal plugs are meant to twist off by hand. But I'll bet they're hard to get a grip on, so I would wrap it in a thick rubber band before I started twisting.

Also, as Bavard suggests, try gripping it in a pair of pliers.

i will try.
this could be a carefull way to open the seal. :)

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I wonder if it would be possible to drill a tiny hole with a fine drill bit so the liquid could come out if there is no other way to get it off.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I think you should wait a while before you do anything. Undoubtedly some of the old-time Chanel hounds around here have seen these seals before, and someone will come along here to tell you how to properly deal with it.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I see them on eBay. They are not part of the cap that has broken off. I always thought they looked cool.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
The embossed metal inner cap is a feature of untouched vintage Chanel bottles. Vintage Caron bottles had them too.

I pry up the edge of the cap around the neck with a thin blade. When loosened, the metal cap is removed and not retained.

I can’t help you date this precisely. I would say 1950’s - 70’s. Old enough to smell wonderful, especially given the seal.

How “tiny” is this bottle?

jaromil

Jan 14, 2017
The embossed metal inner cap is a feature of untouched vintage Chanel bottles. Vintage Caron bottles had them too.

I pry up the edge of the cap around the neck with a thin blade. When loosened, the metal cap is removed and not retained.

I can’t help you date this precisely. I would say 1950’s - 70’s. Old enough to smell wonderful, especially given the seal.

How “tiny” is this bottle?

thank you for your answer..

the bottle is just 3.5 inches tall (with cap..)
may it containes about 2 oz of liquid i guess ?

to be honest, the seller was not given any information how much this bottle contains and i was hoping for a huge 4 oz bottle or something. ;-)

jaromil

Jan 14, 2017
I think you should wait a while before you do anything. Undoubtedly some of the old-time Chanel hounds around here have seen these seals before, and someone will come along here to tell you how to properly deal with it.

thats exactly what i‘m thinking too; i need to be patient.
meanwhile i can smell a beautiful sweet civet through the metallic seal (i dont know if the liquid is a bit evaporating..)

jaromil

Jan 14, 2017
thanks for your suggestion..
i was looking for similar bottles online. but the similar ones i found seem always to have a detail that does not fit with my bottle.
the most similar is this one i found on etsy (the seller there says its an 80‘s bottle), the label looks like the one that i have but the bottom of the bottle does not match with my one..
FDF451C2-4599-48AA-BE5B-28CDBEF3CE7B.jpeg 2AA8C1B7-F496-4CDB-BCA0-F90D77FBDA5C.jpeg C88F9E63-DD42-4206-887C-7DE6A15CE512.jpeg

Tristan45

Jun 30, 2017
It's just a seal, you remove it (a penknife or screwdriver will do it) when you want to open the bottle, and throw it away - or keep it if you are sentimental. Don't over think it, and don't go worrying about refitting it whatever you do. Grayspoole had it right - you should have got a bottle that smells wonderful. Just dive on in, and experience the real smell of No. 5.

I'd say you've got a 70's bottle, some of the older ones 60s and maybe earlier have the 75 degrees on the front label. The pictures you supplied from etsy are a pre-1980 bottle, as the degrees of alcohol are on the base of the box, rather than a percentage.

Latest News