• Iso E super- 100ml
  • Vetvier EO- 10ml
  • Black pepper EO- 10ml
  • Ambroxan- 10g
  • Anisaldehyde- 30ml
  • Cinnamyl Acetate- 30ml
  • Beta damascone- 10ml
  • Beta Ionone- 30ml
Typically these are the smallest amounts I could order from Plush Folly (except for Iso E super). I was curious what people's recommended pre-dilutions would be for learning each material in percentage and weight, because I am unsure whether to start with 1g or 0.1g etc. and want to start off well. Also, once prediluted that will mean that in a formula it will be an even lower percentage, do I have to keep that in mind when prediluting? I am ordering a scale that measures to 0.001g +- 3mg to be more accurate, which should come soon.

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
You are almost completely lacking materials providing high-impact top & mid notes. Almost anything you can make with that list of materials is going to seem weak & uninteresting.

fenomenalguy

Sep 15, 2020
Take a look at TGSC (The Good Scent Company) for each material that you have, to what dillution it is recommended to do.

I would say Cinnamyl acetate to dillute it down to 10%, because is potent, and easy can overpower your blend.

Ambroxan you need to dillute to 10% (even 5% or 1% if you want) because it's crystals, use alcohol to dillute it.

Alot of materials you will going to dillute at least 20%, because many are powerfull.

I see beta damascone, you need to dillute it down to minimum 10% ( it still strong) and i recommend to dillute it at 1% or even more.

At the beginning, i suggest to go for 0.01 g pocket scale, but after the time will go past, after you make many blends and formulas, you need to buy an 0.001 g for high accuracy (one drop of iso e super is not at the same weight as one drop of aurantiol 50% ).

I suggest also to look at BK Scent formula sheets, it contain all information you need.

Happy blending.

Oct 6, 2021
You are almost completely lacking materials providing high-impact top & mid notes. Almost anything you can make with that list of materials is going to seem weak & uninteresting.
Oh :/ I'm not really a fan of most top notes tbh and have already used my budget on this first buy. Any recommendations for my next buy?

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
Are bergamot, ylang ylang and beta ionone and damscone not good top notes?
Ionones & damascones aren't top notes at all, altho they can have top effects. Ylang can have strongish top notes (particularly the extra fraction), but it depends heavily on exactly which ylang material you have. Bergamot is a low-impact citrusy top material that serves as a good structural element for supporting stronger top effects, but doesn't "pop" on its own.

Big L

Nov 23, 2019
You can start by checking out the common use level for each of the materials on unguentarius.com. Assuming you would use them in these ranges when experimenting with constructing formulas. For Cedramber, for example, you can see it centers around 3.3% (33 ppt) of the formula, and the range is between 0.5%-6.1%.

After you have the common levels, try to figure out how much you will need to weigh at a time. If you are doing 1 gram experiments, the amount you will need in milligrams will be the same as the parts per thousand (how convenient). Assuming that everything lower than 20mg will be pretty hard to measure accurately, you can now decide how much you would like to dilute your materials.

If you realize that you will use an ingredient as 5%-10% of your concentrate (50-100 ppt => 50-100mg), you can probably leave it undiluted. If it's more like 0.5-2%, you can dilute it down to 5%. If it's around 0.1%, you might want to dilute to 1-2%.

Afterwards, when working with prediluted ingredients, I recommend keeping your formulas as if working with undiluted ones. That is, if you are mixing and weighing 100mg, note it as 10mg if the material you are using is diluted to 10%, as 5mg if it's diluted to 5%, etc.

Happy diluting, happy mixing and have fun!

julian35

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 28, 2009
Are bergamot, ylang ylang and beta ionone and damscone not good top notes?
My recommendation is to do a dilution of 10%. My material is stored at 100% and then I dilute to 10% for the small bottles in the perfume organ. This way I still have the material at 100% when compounding, but can use the 10% dilutions when formulating. Everyone does it to their own preference. This is how I was taught at my school in Grasse.
Bergamot is an excellent top note, with Limonene, Linalyl Acetate and Linalool making up a good majority of the essential oil. Ylang also has some lovely top notes. You will find that essential oils all have top notes as they are really a mixture of many chemicals and really a fragrance unto themselves. So much of the placement of where things are on the "pyramid" depends on what the overall formula is. I hope you enjoy your new smells ! ;) BTW the Sylvamber is virtually the same material as Iso E or Timbersilk, they are all "Patchouli ethanone", but with a slightly different mixture of isomers, etc. Don't buy IsoE at this time, you will just be duplicating(sort of). When you purchase materials pay close attention to the CAS number, this will prevent you, 99% of the time, from buying "duplicate materials. When you are buying Natural essential oils, absolutes, etc, pay close attention to the Latin name, the scientific name or the botanical name. This is the ONLY reliable classification, then the CAS number.

Last edited:

Latest News