how many shoes should a man have?

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I like the unique monk strap design of those, although not the biggest fan of the toe. They get - how do I put this - too pointy too soon I think? Is the leather hand painted? Looks expensive.

I’m a fan of narrower shoes, as I have narrow feet. I did pick this model for that unorthodox double-monk design. And, yes, the patina on the shoes is applied by hand, so every pair is unique.

When I was a kid we used to call shoes like that "vato shoes". Is vato a racial slur? It's been so long since I've heard it that I'm not even sure.

AFAIK, it’s just a Spanish word for a young man. Maybe it’s offensive in a given context, but I’ve never heard it used as a slur.

_Nicolas_

Aug 16, 2021

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I desperately need to add a pair of double monks to my collection, it feels incomplete without them! Think I might go with these from C&J…
Those are great.
I love the unusual design and buckle positioning, very nice @PStoller! Not too keen on the colour tho, a tad rakish for me. :)
Rakishly colored shoes are my thing, but obviously not for everyone, or we’d see as many green, blue, purple, and orange shoes as we do brown and black. At least I never have to worry about you buying any pink oxfords out from under me.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I desperately need to add a pair of double monks to my collection, it feels incomplete without them! Think I might go with these from C&J...

https://www.crockettandjones.com/collections/lowndes/products/lowndes-darkbrown-calf

I love the unusual design and buckle positioning, very nice @PStoller! Not too keen on the colour tho, a tad rakish for me. :)
It worth having at least one pair. Too Boot New York makes some nice monk straps, I have one in a cognac color.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Another perfectly fine “clone” of the Common Projects Achilles Low.
I like the Common Projects more. I want that simplistic look while maintaining quality.

This one was nice the Malden Medium Brown Suede. I was look for for the Knox Smooth leather in a brown or cognac color, didn't see it on sale.
SHOES - TO BOOT NEW YORK MALDEN MEDIUM BROWN SNEAKER.png

Jun 10, 2012
Speaking of CP Achilles clones, I've been lusting after this pair for a while -
M1S-BSE02-GECO-02_50.jpg

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
en·a·bler
/iˈnāblər,eˈnāblər/
Learn to pronounce

noun
plural noun: enablers
  1. a person or thing that makes something possible.
    "the people who run these workshops are crime enablers"
    • a person who encourages or enables negative or self-destructive behavior in another.
      "being an enabler to an addict does more harm than good"

Latest News