how many shoes should a man have?

Renato

Oct 21, 2002
The only pairs of shoes a man (or woman) should own are properly made ones.
This is determined by holding the shoe longways between both hands and pressing in.

If the shoe bends in the middle - it is a junk shoe, poorly made, which will inevitably lead to foot problems later in life.
If the shoe instead bends under the ball area of the foot, it is a good shoe.
(Source: My physiotherapist telling me that I was wearing a junk pair of shoes - and telling me to go buy Rockport shoes instead)

Generally speaking, the more expensive $80 to $200 pair of shoes meet that criterion.
But I've tested $500 pairs of designer shoes that failed that test, and the occasional $30 pair that passed it.

I wear one pair of good slide-in, walking shoes all the time.
I have five pairs of lace-up good walking shoes there ready to go all the time.
I have two good shoes for use when walking or mowing around my property.
I have about 10 or so pairs of back-up good walking shoes in boxes - Florsheim, Rockport and Niblick.
And another 15 or so pairs of hiking and more casual type shoes in boxes which I bought on sale, which I might wear one day.

I also have about 20 pairs of good quality thongs (which I think are called Flip flops in the US)
Regards,
Renato

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
Well, kinda like many basenoters and their cologne, shoes can be looked at as a collectible hobby. Or at the very least, a lot of guys like to have a wide variety of options in their wardrobe.

I have probably four pairs of athletic shoes that I use for gym and running and two other athletic shoes that I use for outdoor chores like yardwork, etc. And two pairs of athletic shoes that I use just for casual wear and for going out to eat or to the movies or something.

I have about four pairs of boots because I love boots. lol

I have two pairs of fomal dress shoes and about three or four pairs of casual dress shoes.

I have two pairs of work shoes. So around twenty, in total, that I actually wear. I also have about five pairs of shoes I no longer wear and need to donate them and/or sell.

tcmquincy

Apr 4, 2019
As much of the population thinks men should only own 2 or 3 fragrances, this is the wrong forum to ask this question on haha. I own far too many pairs of shoes and want to buy many more. I would recommend:

Leather Dress Shoes - a good pair in the 150-200$+ range can last for many many years and be resoled and cleaned. Meermin is a great cheap/high quality brand

Leather Sneakers - Think white or black Stan Smiths, Air Force Ones, etc. These can be cleaned and last way longer than a pair of a vans type shoe. They are old school yet timeless and the all black / all white look can be paired with anything and look stylish.

Other than This I would recommend a pair or two of boots (love timberlands) and some shoes to run/work out in.

Syd93

Dec 10, 2019
For work I currently own about 20 smart casual/formal dress shoes for Mon to Thursday and 5 sneakers on Fridays which I wear on a predetermined 5 weekly cycle. I also own 10 boots for winter which I will include in my 5 weekly cycle by replacing the 5 sneakers and 5 semi formal shoes. I also have other 15 other casual shoes, sandals and sneakers which I wear on weekends. Which makes a grand total of 45. I think this is more than enough for me. All I need to do now is join shop a holics anonymous.

- - - Updated - - -

For work I currently own about 20 smart casual/formal dress shoes for Mon to Thursday and 5 sneakers on Fridays which I wear on a predetermined 5 weekly cycle. I also own 10 boots for winter which I will include in my 5 weekly cycle by replacing the 5 sneakers and 5 semi formal shoes. I also have other 15 other casual shoes, sandals and sneakers which I wear on weekends. Which makes a grand total of 45. I think this is more than enough for me. All I need to do now is join shop a holics anonymous.
tbimmqvffa2xrp

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
This year, I think I'm going to streamline my shoe collection. I currently have too many pair. I'll still have around 20 or more, total, but I have around 10 to 15 pair that I haven't worn, are dated, or are too worn out to wear. I hope to be down to about 5 pairs of gym/running shoes, 5 pairs of casual, 5 or 6 dress shoes, and 4 or 5 boots.

I do still plan on finding a good pair of brown wingtips and a new pair of black dress shoes though.

debussychopin

Aug 9, 2018
Ive been buying too many shoes. Luckily i have been getting them on asos and lot of them are (not classic styles ) but modernized street type looking dress shoes and more 70s style type shoes they are pretty cheap sort of like 40 bux a pair but since i rotate them a lot and i dont go hiking in them or anything, they have been pretty good. Comfortable too.

anete123

Mar 6, 2020
I don't think it's weird if a man has many pairs of shoes. Even most of the celebrities have 100s of pairs of shoes. The difficult task is how to maintain and polish them.

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
I have to admit--I have a lot of shoes. My problem is that I am fanatical about how I take care of them so they last for a really long time. I have a pair of Church's wingtips (the Chetwynd) that I bought in 1984 and they still look great. I sent them back to Church's for resoling about twenty years ago. I also still have the shoes I wore on my wedding day--also Church's but cap-toe and they look great, too.

The more you have, the less often they get worn (I rotate through all of my shoes) and so the less they get worn out. I probably have more pairs of shoe trees than many men have pairs of shoes. The only way I get away with this is that my wife is a shoe person, too, so she can't really complain (although she thinks I have WAY too much cologne). One of the best ways to assuage your guilt about coming home with a new pair--or two or three--of Ferragamos is to bring a pair for her, too. They'll most likely get exchanged but by then they have served their purpose.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
I have to admit--I have a lot of shoes. My problem is that I am fanatical about how I take care of them so they last for a really long time. I have a pair of Church's wingtips (the Chetwynd) that I bought in 1984 and they still look great. I sent them back to Church's for resoling about twenty years ago. I also still have the shoes I wore on my wedding day--also Church's but cap-toe and they look great, too.

The more you have, the less often they get worn (I rotate through all of my shoes) and so the less they get worn out. I probably have more pairs of shoe trees than many men have pairs of shoes. The only way I get away with this is that my wife is a shoe person, too, so she can't really complain (although she thinks I have WAY too much cologne). One of the best ways to assuage your guilt about coming home with a new pair of Ferragamos is to bring a pair for her, too. They'll most likely get exchanged but by then they have served their purpose.

Do you have any of the Red Wing boots? How are those?

Andrei Bolkonsky

Feb 20, 2020
Sandals - 2 pairs (Timberland and one by a Brazilian Brand)
Sneakers - 5 pairs (2 white, 2 black, one white full leather)
Leather Boots - 1 pair, for snow or trekking or expeditions
Casual Leather shoes - 3 pairs, different shades of brown
Leather DRESS shoes (the shiny ones): 3 pairs, one black two brown
Chrome DRESS shoes (the mirrored ones): 1 pair, black

I keep ALL my leather shoes with shoe trees. Made of that aromatic wood, CEDAR.

TOTAL: 15 shoes. Does that make me the Brazilian Imelda Marcos?

dealt7faux

Apr 24, 2015
if a man had over 20 shoes, some would say that's too many and only a woman should own that many, but that's the same with fragrances. so it doesn't matter what they think. if a guy wants to have 40 shoes, i think that's cool.

then again it is quality over quantity. i'd rather have 1 $250 pair of shoes that look great, feel comfortable, get compliments, last over 10 years, than 10 shoes that I don't like very much.

for me, ideally, i like to have around 16 shoes.

2 athletic shoes for running, training and sports
2 dress shoes for formal events (like weddings or dinner parties)
4 shoes for work, and visiting clients
2 shoes for nice restaurants and nights out at the city
4 casual shoes (for daytime, grocery shopping, laundromat, etc.)
2 winter shoes, boots, for snowy weather (since i live in the north)

what about you?
16 pairs exclusive of gym shoes
2 pair brown dress
2 pairs black dress
2 pairs black dress boots
2 pairs brown dress boots
4 pairs casual shoes
2 pairs brown casual boots
2 pairs black casual boots

And, 1 brown casual boots on the way.

overtimeslabs

Mar 18, 2020
If he has an active lifestyle then I guess....
5 pairs of basketball shoes
2 pairs of running shoes
3 pairs of casual shoes
2 pairs of office shoes
2 pairs random shoes

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
You folks with 20+ shoes must have more closet space than I do.

I have one heavy-duty set of all-weather boots, two sets of more conventional chukka boots, a pair of dressy chukka boots, two pairs of loafers, two pairs of dress shoes (one black, one brown), and a pair of running shoes.

The boots and loafers get the most wear.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
My very small shoe collection is as follows:

To Boot New York Chelsea boots in black
Allen Edmonds Oxfords in black
Gucci sneakers in gray canvas
Greats sneakers in all white leather
Converse sneakers in black canvas
Adidas UltraBoost in gray

I keep shoe trees in the first four listed as the interior is leather and they are my "nice shoes". I am a minimalist but do wish to acquire some more shoes (not sneakers). Perhaps 10 pairs would have all of the bases covered with a little variety. I believe in quality over quantity (with shoes, fragrances, clothing, anything). I don't see why anyone would need more than 20 to 30 shoes, but to each their own.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I know it wasn't directed at me, but nowadays I usually stick with Nike and Jordan. I do own a vintage grey suede Puma and a few pair of Converse All Stars as well. The rest, about six pair, are Nike and Jordan.

Very nice. :) I am not partial to any brand in particular for sneakers. For the more athletic (rather than fashion) type, I typically look at Adidas first.

gewoonBB

Dec 6, 2019
no I like to have variety. I have mainly Nikes, but some Jordans, Puma, Adidas and also have New Balance, Asics, Saucony, Diadora, Reebok

thebeck

Mar 25, 2007
Only as many as necessary. This is only half of the sneakers I own.
I usually buy a shirt, and then send a pic to a custom sneaker site I like.
Then they make shoes to match for me.
20190725_082925.jpg

Last edited:

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
Do you have any of the Red Wing boots? How are those?

You know, I don't--I'll be interested in hearing about other people's thoughts on these.

I use to own a pair. they're nice but they were very heavy. I eventually found a pair that was much lighter. Red Wings are very comfortable and durable though.

I bought a pair of moc toes a couple of weeks back. Just started to break them in. (sorry for the grainy picture)

Z3c47Th.jpg

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
I bought a pair of Iron Rangers but had to cancel the order due to size issues. Still planning on getting a pair (undecided on the colour). I managed to sell a pair of Blundstones and Dr Martens Vegan boots. Speaking of Blundstones, their grey colour looks cool.

1395_3_600x.jpg

^Those remind me of a pair of moccasin style Eastland boots I use to have in college. I wish I still had them! They're back in style, lol.

I think Red Wing moc toes (or anything Red Wing) would really match your style and go well with Polo / Fahrenheit.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
I like Red Wing but tend to strictly use them for work purposes. I know they have a lot more variety that just that, but the local Red Wing store is awfully small. Regardless, I may check them out in the next several days.........thanks, FWVB!

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
My very small shoe collection is as follows:

To Boot New York Chelsea boots in black
Allen Edmonds Oxfords in black
Gucci sneakers in gray canvas
Greats sneakers in all white leather
Converse sneakers in black canvas
Adidas UltraBoost in gray

Since my last post, I've added a pair of Bruno Magli derbies in brown burnished leather. My Converse sneakers are pretty trashed at this point, but I wear them solely for weightlifting now, as I like the flat sole. Next, I'd like to add a versatile loafer or another boot - maybe a different style like a Chukka. I think I'm done buying sneakers as a nice looking all-white leather sneaker and a more athletic sneaker is really all that is needed.

Fernaldo

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 10, 2020
I have around 70 pairs. With the state of current affairs, 2 are currently worn. 0 if you don't include slippers and flip-flops!

Harrogatered

Jan 26, 2021
I’ve about 15 pairs but am missing a few styles, I think I need. I’ll be adding a couple more pairs post lockdown, I also need to replace a few of the pairs I currently have

relus

Mar 21, 2019
For me 8 can be enough, if i could do it right mostly derbys suede or brown leather, all from Trickers, the best brand i think.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Since my last post, I've added a pair of Bruno Magli derbies in brown burnished leather. My Converse sneakers are pretty trashed at this point, but I wear them solely for weightlifting now, as I like the flat sole. Next, I'd like to add a versatile loafer or another boot - maybe a different style like a Chukka. I think I'm done buying sneakers as a nice looking all-white leather sneaker and a more athletic sneaker is really all that is needed.

What you're missing is a pair of water proof/weather proof boots. I addressed this problem recently for myself in time for the rainy season.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
What you're missing is a pair of water proof/weather proof boots. I addressed this problem recently for myself in time for the rainy season.

That could make a nice addition but on the rare occasion that it does rain where I live, I don't often spend much time outdoors in it. My time out in the elements is, more often than not, limited to the distance between my car door and a climate-controlled building.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I'm a little bit obsessed with my doctor's shoes. He's young, maybe 38 or so, tall and lanky and handsome in a kind of jolie-laide, Adam Driver-ish way. Every time I'm there, I can't stop looking at his shoes.

While all the other med staff are wearing cushiony sneakers, this guy is sporting saddle-brown monkstrap loafers that look Italian and have ombre coloring around the stitching. But the thing is, he wears them without any socks.

t seems sort of, I dunno, Bohemian? Or maybe just rebellious. It fascinates me.

PStoller said:
I have more like 400 pairs, but I don't recommend that.

Do other people in your family have this extreme collecting gene that you seem to have?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest News