How many of your 5-star scents were born in the 21st Century?

MisterK

Dec 22, 2003
Roughly 3%. 6 of 218:
Body Kouros
Gendarme V
Allure Homme Sport
L'Occitane Vetyver
Cuiron
Lapidus Pour Homme Sport

I'm not going off the ratings I put in on Basenotes, but based on how I'm thinking about those frags right now. Some of these are from the year 2000 and hopefully no one will engage in an "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" argument whether 2000 is the new 21st century. For me, it is. :)

Last edited:

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
I haven't star-rated my collection .

Hang on.... I'm supposed to star-rate my collection??? I'll never catch up!!! Finally started trying to log all wearings to actually build the collection. And a lot of it is samplings, and eventually started trying to rate those once I admitted I wasn't always remembering some of them. Still need to go through and remove the 5 and 10 ml.... maybe everything under 30 ml???????? But rating the ones I already bought.... not even on the to do list in the part you know you won't get to!!!

Edit - My guess is 21%

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I do not consistently rate my perfumes, and I am too lazy to post SOTD’s, but in reviewing my wardrobe, I came up with 9 perfumes from this century that I would give 5 stars, so that makes 4%. Much more than I thought it would be!

Meanwhile, has the Wardrobe function here always translated perfume names into English or is this a late stage glitch? Dior Wild Water anyone?

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
I don't consistently rate fragrances on here.

There's plenty of stuff I'd give 5 stars to even though I wouldn't own/wear it aside from occasionally sniffing it via decant (i.e. Chanel No. 5, Mitsouko, Tabu, Youth Dew, Aramis, Balenciaga pour Homme, etc.), and it's hard for me to quantify that when I haven't consistently tracked ratings.

My tastes often run to things that have some affinities with vintage fragrances but mingle that DNA with modern effects. When cleverly applied, the contrast between old and new can be fascinating. As an example, I prefer Ellena's Equipage Geranium to Equipage proper (the former is a 5-star in my book, while the latter is a 4-star). I have similarly found modern reworkings of Z-14 to be a bit more polished than the original. And while it doesn't eclipse its predecessors, I'm currently getting a kick out of Tom Ford's Gothic reworking of Shalimar/Habit Rouge, Noir EDP, which would probably have been better received as an official Guerlain release.

Many of my true vintage bottles have been sold off or swapped due to lack of wear. I appreciated them as aromatic time machines but have had trouble getting comfortable in them - it has often felt like playing dress-up in someone else's clothes.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
My starred listings are only for fragrances in their current versions, i.e. ones people might be researching that are still available. I decided early on not to review or rate vintage versions, as not everyone is into that scene and it can get confusing. I might have made some mistakes, as I have a health issue that makes it hard for me to read across lines and manage sequences.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
There's plenty of stuff I'd give 5 stars to even though I wouldn't own/wear it aside from occasionally sniffing it via decant (i.e. Chanel No. 5, Mitsouko, Tabu, Youth Dew, Aramis, Balenciaga pour Homme, etc.), and it's hard for me to quantify that when I haven't consistently tracked ratings.

If you don't own/wear it, it doesn't count.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
If you don't own/wear it, it doesn't count.
In that case, I have 19 five star scents out of ~70 or so bottles, and of those 19, 4 pre-date the 21st century.

So you're looking at roughly ~21% of my "five stars" coming directly from a time before the 21st century.

An additional four bottles are closely related flankers or newer concentrations of classic twentieth century scents (or earlier), which, if they counted, would raise that percentage to ~42%.

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
None for me except possibly Italian Cypress but since that it a redo of earlier scents like Polo/Z-14, it doesn't really count.

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Sep 28, 2015
I do not consistently rate my perfumes, and I am too lazy to post SOTD’s, but in reviewing my wardrobe, I came up with 9 perfumes from this century that I would give 5 stars, so that makes 4%. Much more than I thought it would be!

Meanwhile, has the Wardrobe function here always translated perfume names into English or is this a late stage glitch? Dior Wild Water anyone?

<1% is the only correct answer @grayspoole :)

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
So 80% of your 5-star scents are modern. That's higher than I would have guessed for you. I'm sure it would have dropped a lot if we were counting Havana backups. :)
The percentage was much different at another point in time, I just found stuff that carried the "vintage" DNA forward with twists I found more interesting.

For example, Polo and Z-14 didn't last because I prefer how Floris 1962 wears. TF Noir EDP effectively took the place of my Shalimar. Noir Anthracite eventually overtook my Jacomo de Jacomo. Villoresi Atman Xaman and Nicolaï Cuir Cuba Intense took the place of Aramis Tuscany (by amplifying different aspects of it). The original formulation of Assoluta is so resolutely old-school in its citrus-and-florals style that it ended up edging out stuff like Dunhill for Men and Moustache EDT.

The ones that have remained are truly stalwarts. Havana, absolutely. The other three are Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat, and Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba.

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
Maybe you could just rate them as you pull each one up into SOTD? It might take a year to do it, but it's not like anybody is placing you on a deadline. :)

That's a good idea. Mostly am keeping up with sotd and samples, so just another step to rate the owned ones. Have a very few with a longevity rating where it stood out good or bad and happened to update that.

Next year when someone says what did you do last year, I can say I added my wardrobe ratings!!!

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
I just looked at my Collection and out of the 134, I'd rate 12 as five stars. Out of those, 4 are from the 21st century so my answer to the topic's question is 1/3. (Unsurprisingly the percentage doesn't differ much from the top 10 I compiled earlier.)

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
To be fair, there is quite a significant share of post 2000s ranking among the most enjoyed and cherished personal favorites, although at least some of these also tend to steadily go the vintage and/or limited edition route, due to increasingly limited therefore difficult availability and/or more upfront discontinuation the case of some, namely:

La Martina Hombre, tin can Rive Gauche, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete, Gucci PH II, Endymion ans also Sartorial by the same house, older Aventus batches with more smokiness, Geranium pour Monsieur, the fragrance line Sept Parfums Capitaux by Jovoy, Amouage Bracken, most of the recent releases by Atkinsons, Eau Sauvage Parfum and/or Fraicheur Cuir, several of the discontinued or less easily available AMen flankers, Chergui and Chypre Rouge as well as possibly other post 2000 SL releases, Azzaro PH l'Eau, Mugler Cologne, nearly all of the 21th century Hugh Parsons fragrances, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Creed OV as well among the further Creed options, a few variations on the TDH theme without being plagiarisms nor carbon copies like for instance Yardley Citrus&Wood, Yves Rocher Cuir Vetiver or l'Erbolario Ginepro Nero, l'Envol de Cartier EDP, Lalique White and the 2001 release of Lalique Homme in EDP concentration along with l'Insoumis and some of the newer exclusives by the same house

Having said this, although all these aforementioned (along with likely a few more) may seem quite a big number if put together, they still represent only a tiny fraction of the total 5 from 5 absolute preferences and personal highlights.
At least if compared to even far more pre 2000 designer, niche and even bargain/mass market priced classics did an currently still do wear, own, enjoy, as well as willing to retest and (re) purchase, even as backups, even more frequently, abundantly and consistently.

Latest News