How many of your 5-star scents were born in the 21st Century?

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I was curious about how my favorite scents break down in quantity of vintage versus modern.

I have 35 perfumes marked as 5-Stars out of my 133 bottle wardrobe.

Out of those 35, seven of them were created since the year 2000. So 20% of the total are what I'd consider "modern" scents.

How many of your 5-Star scents are that recent?

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
For me 3 out of 16 - a little less than 20%. Same as Cook.bot.
Looking at you guys I think I am a perfume snob. Only 16 out of 300+ got 5* - Maybe time to grade inflate

Update: After grade "adjustment" 4 out of 26 - 15%

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
For me 3 out of 16 - a little less than 20%. Same as Cook.bot.
Only 16 out of 300+ got 5* - Maybe time to grade inflate

Update: After grade "adjustment" 4 out of 26 - 15%

So you kicked 10 bottles up a whole star and still only got 15% modern? That *is* picky.

When I was counting mine I thought there were several that deserved a downgrade to 4-stars, but I didn't have the heart to do it right then.

Looking at you guys I think I am a perfume snob.

To the surprise of no one.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
12 out of 427, so about 3%

I would have guessed 4X higher than that percentage for you.

Oh, wait, math flaw: you were calculating modern 5-star bottles out of your TOTAL wardrobe count (427), when it should have been only the percentage of modern bottles among your 5-star scents, which I count as 59 in your collection.

Which would make it 20%, which sounds much more plausible.

66 out of 160 = 41.25 %

And I would have guessed only one-quarter of that percentage for you.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
I haven't star-rated my collection (which btw is pretty much identical in size to yours, Cook.bot). Anyway, going by a quickly compiled top 10 list, 30% were launched this side of the Millennium.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
I just realized I presented my stats the opposite of how I should have. Of 21 5-star scents, 5 are from prior to 2000 (didn't count Bois des Iles before), so actually my number is 76%. :eek:

And of those 5, 3 were created in the 1990s. There's a couple vintages I love but on the whole I'm really more of a modern gal so the numbers aren't super surprising to me. I'm also still young enough that there's plenty of time for my tastes to shift.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I just realized I presented my stats the opposite of how I should have. Of 21 5-star scents, 5 are from prior to 2000 (didn't count Bois des Iles before), so actually my number is 76%. :eek:

Which makes you the big outlier here, Miz Modern!

I'm also still young enough that there's plenty of time for my tastes to shift.

And if they don't shift, in another 20-30 years the things you love now will be vintage themselves.

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015

And of those 5, 3 were created in the 1990s. There's a couple vintages I love but on the whole I'm really more of a modern gal so the numbers aren't super surprising to me. I'm also still young enough that there's plenty of time for my tastes to shift.

Your official vintage forum card has been cancelled ;)

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
Your official vintage forum card has been cancelled ;)

giphy.webp

Cheetah1919

Mar 16, 2016
I’m picky, and since I almost always try/sample first, my wardrobe is pretty much only stuff I REALLY like or love!

About 25% of my wardrobe is 5 star (20 fragrances)…..not sure how liberal I am with handing out 5’s compared to others, but I’ve tried about 500, so 4% deemed 5 star worthy.
And all of my 5 stars were born in the 21st century!

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I really adored Russian Adam's first two creations: Siberian Musk and Ottoman Empire, so I guess that makes a total of two.

All the rest of my truest loves are vintage.

Ah, you underestimate your modernity. You have rated 63 of your scents as 5-stars, and out of those, 25 were created between year 2000 and now. That gives you a ratio of 39% modern true loves.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Hmmm.

I really adored Russian Adam's first two creations: Siberian Musk and Ottoman Empire, so I guess that makes a total of two.

All the rest of my truest loves are vintage.

Ah, you underestimate your modernity. You have rated 63 of your scents as 5-stars, and out of those, 25 were created between year 2000 and now. That gives you a ratio of 39% modern true loves.

Lol

GOTTEM :cool:

Latest News