How Many Back-Up Bottles Do You Own?

SmellSharpe

Dec 29, 2021
Very few actually…

- Tom Ford Oud Minerale (2 x30ml as I love it and 30ml is a small bottle)
- Armani Code Profumo (I bought a bottle of Absolu on clearance and was sent Profumo by mistake. Discontinued and I love it, so I just kept the second bottle)
- Afnan Rare Carbon (Excellent Ombre Leather like cheapy that I wear a lot)
- Lattafa Majd Al Sultan Asdaaf EDP (very strong homage to Replica By the Fireplace that smells amazing. And insanely inexpensive)

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Very few actually…

- Tom Ford Oud Minerale (2 x30ml as I love it and 30ml is a small bottle)
- Armani Code Profumo (I bought a bottle of Absolu on clearance and was sent Profumo by mistake. Discontinued and I love it, so I just kept the second bottle)
- Afnan Rare Carbon (Excellent Ombre Leather like cheapy that I wear a lot)
- Lattafa Majd Al Sultan Asdaaf EDP (very strong homage to Replica By the Fireplace that smells amazing. And insanely inexpensive)
So interesting! Why is the homage so much more expensive than the original?

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Simply curious, no other reason.

I generally have 1 back-up for a scent if I really enjoy it, or if it’s hard to find. If it’s not something too extraordinary, I don’t bother.

The most back-up bottles I have for one particular scent is 10.
I had 10 at one point for one particular scent as well, I downsized to 7.

The number or backups vary, usually the ones that I wear on a regular basis will have multiple backups especially if it's a particular formulation that I enjoy. There are others that I have backups purely for being difficult to find that I enjoy.

VanAllan

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 6, 2008
Out of my 250+ scents collection, around 60 of them (vintage or original versions of scents I trully love and wear often) have backups. Pretty comfortable with that thought, as my good night sleep and peace of mind are priceless.
The most back-up bottles I have for one particular scent is 4.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
At least a backup of Ed Hardy Man, One Man Show, Marbert Homme, Yardley Citrus&Wood, Lancetti (both regular and concentrated), Sartorial by Penhaligon's, Versace l'Homme, Ungaro III and possibly a few more.
However most backups owned are at least 5-6 bottles of vintage Guerlain Heritage got at a very good price-both if calculated separately and even if adding up the purchases to a total amount.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
At least a backup of Ed Hardy Man, One Man Show, Marbert Homme, Yardley Citrus&Wood, Lancetti (both regular and concentrated), Sartorial by Penhaligon's, Versace l'Homme, Ungaro III and possibly a few more.
However most backups owned are at least 5-6 bottles of vintage Guerlain Heritage got at a very good price-both if calculated separately and even if adding up the purchases to a total amount.
That’s amazing that you were able to purchase so many at such a good price!

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
I've got about 7 bottles that I bought solely as "backups." My definition of backup being buying a new bottle even though I have not emptied my current bottle.

I backed them up because:

a) they are my standout favorites out of a large collection
b) some concerns they might be discontinued (but so far none have been discontinued)

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I've got about 7 bottles that I bought solely as "backups." My definition of backup being buying a new bottle even though I have not emptied my current bottle.

I backed them up because:

a) they are my standout favorites out of a large collection
b) some concerns they might be discontinued (but so far none have been discontinued)
Perfectly valid reasons 👌🏻

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
None yet. Now that I've got a decent collection (40ish bottles, plus lots of samples and decants), I can't imagine finishing everything I own... and it's not like I'm done acquiring new scents! Being a light sprayer, I've noticed most of my bottles have barely gone down in the last year. For example, I got a bottle of HdP 1828 for my birthday last year, wore it something like 29 times since then, and I've barely dented it. Discontinuation and reformulation are valid concerns, but that would just give me an excuse to try something new and outlandish anyway.

emtee

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 4, 2018
Currently only Creed Original Vetiver and Royal Mayfair. I did have backups of GiT and Aventus but decided to crack them open and bring them into the rotation. However as others have said I have so much fragrance I don’t think I could use it all up in my lifetime as it is so don’t intend on backing up anything else as I’d like to continue buying and enjoying fragrances for as long as I have on this Earth.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I did have backups of GiT and Aventus but decided to crack them open and bring them into the rotation.
This was so satisfying to read.

Everyone is right - fragrances should be enjoyed! I have a tendency of squirreling things away, and finding joy in looking at them and knowing that they’re there … but that’s not true enjoyment, is it?

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
None. At my age (cough, wheeze) I consider even my 30ml bottles to be lifetime supplies. That said, if I survive long enough to need to replace anything, I'll gladly over pay. 😁

Cheers!
Aww, cheers to you as well!

Honestly, though … one never knows how long they have, whether young or old (or in between). Perhaps a perspective such as yours would benefit everyone!

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I love this.

Also - 29 wears and barely a dent? Impressive!

Edit: I admit that I was unfamiliar with and had to search up the 1828 … it sounds lovely!
I’m pretty sure I underspray compared to many on the board, but that works out just fine for me. For 1828, that’s usually 2-3 sprays. Helps that it comes in a big 125ml bottle!

1828 is interesting - it’s sometimes written off as a generic masculine, and it kind of is. Yet the pine and eucalyptus keep things interesting, and the creamy cedar base makes it surprisingly versatile. When I open my perfume cabinet and get a case of decision paralysis, this is the perfect default choice for any weather, any situation. I like it a lot!

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I’m pretty sure I underspray compared to many on the board, but that works out just fine for me. For 1828, that’s usually 2-3 sprays. Helps that it comes in a big 125ml bottle!

1828 is interesting - it’s sometimes written off as a generic masculine, and it kind of is. Yet the pine and eucalyptus keep things interesting, and the creamy cedar base makes it surprisingly versatile. When I open my perfume cabinet and get a case of decision paralysis, this is the perfect default choice for any weather, any situation. I like it a lot!
It sounds very, very nice.

Very clean, very masculine.

Edit: Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Simply curious, no other reason.

I generally have 1 back-up for a scent if I really enjoy it, or if it’s hard to find. If it’s not something too extraordinary, I don’t bother.

The most back-up bottles I have for one particular scent is 10.
I have one back up each of Lou Lou, Apres L'Ondee and YSL Opium. That's just in case I run out of one, and there are no substitutes from those ladies! Okay, okay, Love in Black by Creed is their take on A L'O - but only in a pinch.

_Nicolas_

Aug 16, 2021
I think about 55-60, which is almost half of my collection. Highest number for an individual scent is 7 backups of Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT, partly because I fear it being discontinued and partly due to it being more like a strong EDC than an EDT, which means it doesn't tend to last me long! With all other fragrances that I have backed-up it's just 1-3 bottles ATM. I feel I've reached a stage in my collecting where I want far fewer fragrances because I know what I like (I currently have 71 and want to get it down to around 50 short-term, maybe down to 30 eventually) but I definitely want more backups of the stuff I love!

Andyjreid

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2008
I've got a couple of back ups I bought because they were cheap and on sale at the time

Guerlain L'Homme Ideal EDT £30
Mugler Cologne Come Together £25

Then I have A*Men flankers I really enjoy

Pure Malt
Pure Tonka
Pure Coffee
B*Men

And lastly I have back ups of fragrances I love

Guerlain LIDG EDT
Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo
Dior Homme Parfum

I have quite a modest collection so probably will use these over time.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...