How do you decide what to wear?

tinkfist

Basenotes Member
Dec 6, 2021
I didn't see this question asked yet, so apologies if this has been work through already, but it's pretty simple - how do you decide what you're going to wear for the day, or part of the day? I think of things like the weather outside, how dressed up I'm getting for the day, how I'm feeling, what I haven't worn in a while, where I'm going out to. I kind of put that all together mentally and zero in on something. Or sometimes I'm just committed to wearing the same scent for a week or two straight.

So I guess the sub question is, are you overthinking your fragrance wear as much as I am?

tigrushka

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 19, 2003
Most often a fragrance simply calls me. Sometimes I "smell" a phantom scent, and after recognizing the fragrance in question, I pick it.

Overthinking takes place mostly when I have to pick a fragrance for a trip, then I consider factors like weather, wardrobe, the place I'm going to visit and even the size of the bottle.

Rabidsenses

Basenotes Dependent
May 10, 2019
I suppose it harkens back to Old World gentlemanly charms but - with regards to clothing - I choose my outfit the evening before and lay it out. The feeling this imparts both the night before and the morning of is one of preparation, and that I find to be more inherently satisfying than making a last minute decision.

But with regards to fragrance, however? That one I rarely prepare for the evening before. Rather, that one is simply achieved by feeling. And you know what? - going by feeling in that one moment when you are ready to set sail at the dawn of the day is inherently satisfying unto its own. It’s that last little mystery that is decided on a whim based on what one anticipates in that moment for the day ahead.

(Now whether one applies immediately after a shower or a few minutes later after dressing is another matter altogether. I suppose as long as the skin is still a little warm is all that matters.)

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
going by feeling in that one moment when you are ready to set sail at the dawn of the day is inherently satisfying
I like this approach. I can also plan perfume wearings weeks in advance. I like variety.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
giphy.gif

my brain when im deciding at random

Juxtapozbliss

Author, Artist & Creative Director
Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
It starts with weather and the temperature for me, and I think of a general vibe that I want in response. Looking for a bright citrus accord today. Or a warm earthy vibe. Or something calming. Then I’ll scan the frags and pick one that strikes me that fits the family I'm looking for. I also mix it up based on what I've worn recently, of course. I have my frags split up into two locations because I have too many to fit in one area. So I'll also split the decision based on where I picked one last just for variety.

Within this general approach, there's also definitely randomness in that sometimes a bottle will just catch my eye as I'm scanning, and I'll just pick it because I haven't worn it in a while.

Last edited:

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
I consider all of the usual things--weather, dress, what I haven't worn in a while, etc. If I am in a hurry or traveling it is a dumb reach (Azzaro Pour Homme is good for that). All this in the morning. I often change my mind, though, after my morning shower. I am struck by how yesterday's scent, reignited by the hot shower water, fleetingly smells of just the basenotes (the best part) and I often wear the same thing again for that reason.

JBHoren

I *am* smiling
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
I decide the night before... but it's not only the afterscent. I try to shave thrice-weekly, and I like the components — the soap/cream, ASB/ASL/ASS, and EDC/EDT/EDP — to match or complement each other. Once I've decided, then I assemble and photograph the next day's setup, so I'll be ready to shave and post in the morning.

Sometimes I'll change the sort-order of my Wardrobe (from Name to Last Wore) to see which fragrances I've "neglected," and choose one of them as the basis for the upcoming shave... my version of "Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity". :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ATX

Dec 4, 2021
I usually take into account the weather, what I'm doing, and just simply what I'm craving that day

Adonna

May 20, 2010
Interesting question TinkFist, I enjoy process.
In the last 4 years my process has changed quite a bit.
I used to wear whatever I wanted, when ever I wanted.
Now I often wait until afterwork.
Then it depends on my mood, the weather, the occasion and time of year.

a~~​

Blue_Eyez

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 23, 2007
Usually make selections based on different factors:
  • Weather
  • What I am wearing
  • Where I am going - appropriate perfume and dosage/strength. Picking Alien absolute for dental appointment? Don't think so.
  • Mood - do I need a comfort blanket, pick me up, something to stand out, etc?
  • Something I have not worn for a long time - I am usually trying to get through my fragrance wardrobe in a calendar year.
  • Something new to test. May go "naked" to the shops and run out of skin while testing.
  • Or just reach for a bottle and whatever comes first

Sultan al Hindi

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 5, 2020
I didn't see this question asked yet, so apologies if this has been work through already, but it's pretty simple - how do you decide what you're going to wear for the day, or part of the day? I think of things like the weather outside, how dressed up I'm getting for the day, how I'm feeling, what I haven't worn in a while, where I'm going out to. I kind of put that all together mentally and zero in on something. Or sometimes I'm just committed to wearing the same scent for a week or two straight.

So I guess the sub question is, are you overthinking your fragrance wear as much as I am?
that's why you need a few daily driver/beater frags for every season....

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019

Simple: limit the number of fragrances I own. It then becomes a case of not having to think about what to wear. The real test is the one in, one out model of replacing fragrances if/when I find something I prefer.

For people with larger collections, I feel like this would be an annoying decision to have to make.

Kotori

In my little cloud
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
The first choice that narrows my options takes place up to several weeks earlier, in the form of my monthly rotation. If I’m participating in the Friday synch, testing samples, or if nothing in the rotation will work for the day, I’ll go outside it, but that’s not very common.

Next, I think about weather.

Next, it’s the color of the clothes I’m wearing (so I generally need to pick my outfit first— perfume is usually my last choice, but sometimes lipstick is last).

Anyway, after that I sniff a few things, and if I can’t immediately decide, sometimes my kiddos pick.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
For now, I’m trying a sample a day, with my decision-making consisting of 1) whatever’s in the bag/box I’ve decided to go through this week, and 2) whatever just came in that distracted me from #1.

Evenings are typically a commentary/contrast/antidote to my daytime scent. It’s not terribly vexing, because none of my available choices is bad.

Last edited:

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
It starts with weather and the temperature for me, and I think of a general vibe that I want in response. Looking for a bright citrus accord today. Or a warm earthy vibe. Or something calming. Then I’ll scan the frags and pick one that strikes me that fits the family I'm looking for. I also mix it up based on what I've worn recently, of course.

Within this general approach, there's also definitely randomness in that sometimes a bottle will just catch my eye as I'm scanning, and I'll just pick it because I haven't worn it in a while.
This largely describes my approach also, also taking into account who I'll be around and my general style for the day (formal/professional/casual/etc.).

Scentologist

Basenotes Institution
Apr 17, 2007
Completely by my mood and I can't decided until that morning in the moment. I may think I know what I want to wear the night before. Sometimes its correct and sometimes its different. So honestly, in the moment.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
I never plan in advance but I do swap out rotations of scents by season so I have less to chose from at any given time. Never takes me long or much thought to decide, I always just know what I feel like on a given day. Sometimes if I know I'll be in closer quarters with ppl I will wear lighter things and if I want to wear something stronger or more challenging wait to spray it later.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
Weather and where I might be going are two biggest factors. But after accounting for those two, hard to say what I'll choose. It's not exactly random. But I'm hard pressed to say what exactly is my criteria.

When I have medical/dental appointments, I have a small selection of fairly low key scents I choose from.
A lot of scents are really screamers if you wear them to a Dr office.

Sultan al Hindi

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 5, 2020
The first choice that narrows my options takes place up to several weeks earlier, in the form of my monthly rotation. If I’m participating in the Friday synch, testing samples, or if nothing in the rotation will work for the day, I’ll go outside it, but that’s not very common.

Next, I think about weather.

Next, it’s the color of the clothes I’m wearing (so I generally need to pick my outfit first— perfume is usually my last choice, but sometimes lipstick is last).

Anyway, after that I sniff a few things, and if I can’t immediately decide, sometimes my kiddos pick.
Several weeks earlier and Colour of clothes, whaaaaat?????!

Sultan al Hindi

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 5, 2020
Check out the rotations thread and you’ll see what I mean by choosing a monthly rotation. Limiting choices for the month; putting a few out on the dresser.

Also, I’m a mild synesthete, so my clothing and perfume can’t clash.
How interesting.

I've organised the fragrances in my closet based on season and genre to help me choose when I'm short on time, keeping the most special ones at the back.I also have a separate box for my oudhs and attars, which I've grouped based on location and composition i.e all the Vietnamese oudhs in one box and all the musk heavy oils in another.

I then let the weather, occasion and mood pull me towards the corner/box that best fulfil my needs that day.

The fact that I'll never be able to truly predict those factors, is the reason why I never limit myself to any particular set of fragrances...Live each day to the fullest I say as you'll never know if its your last!

Latest News