Help with finding a perfume

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
If you’re liking the violet scents I recommend also trying Balenciaga Paris. It’s straight up violet, almost a violet soliflore, and unlike BdV and VdT can currently can be found at discounters for a reasonable price, should you decide to spring for a bottle.

Also if you like the louder perfumes like Fracas and Carnal Flower, Guerlain Insolence is a loud violet perfume, especially the EDP.

Margot1

Sep 12, 2021
A couple top picks from our bottles on hand for the Parisian style are Prada Infusion d'Iris and Chanel No. 5.

View attachment 161325

I'm not sure if the Prada edp absolue version shown is still available retail. I like older bottles of No. 5 like this that you can find online for good deals (eBay, Etsy, etc.).
The Chanel no 5 you mention, is this from a certain decade? I see some from the 90s but was wondering if older than that was better?

Margot1

Sep 12, 2021
Hi Margot1-

A (belated) welcome to Basenotes! I’ve spent many happy vacations in the Outer Banks, and I hope that I get a chance to return there soon.

I enjoyed reading about your on-going perfume explorations, and I thought your list of samples was exceptionality good. Keeping a journal of your reactions is a wise move. Above all, trust your own nose and instincts. Published perfume note lists are driven by marketing, rather than precise description. Use the note lists as a guide, if you want, but don’t stress out if you don’t smell “rosewood” or “suede” or “peony” or whatever else is said to be in there.

I see that you are sampling many richly floral perfumes (with notes of orange blossom, jasmine, tuberose, iris, violet), and I love florals too.

I will restrain myself from going on and on about vintage perfumes and say only that, yes, some perfumes are much better in old versions (if only you can find them). You have two great classic florals on your list—Fracas and Narcisse Noir. The current version of Fracas is quite good. Not sure about the current Narcisse Noir, but it is undoubtedly a great perfume in its vintage form.

Good luck! I’ll look forward to learning which perfumes emerge as your top favorites,
Which vintage or decade for the Narcisse Noir? I’d be curious to try it and compare it to the new sample I have

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
The Chanel no 5 you mention, is this from a certain decade? I see some from the 90s but was wondering if older than that was better?
90s should be good. Since I posted that, I got a backup bottle with the same labeling ("Perfume," Catherine Deneuve era), and it smells quite different. Also good, but surprisingly different. Older can be better, to a point. 90s - early 90s, at least, is usually early enough for me for just about anything. I guess 80s is maybe the best decade, for now, with 70s maybe having a higher chance for degradation. It all depends. If you can get it sealed, then it's 1920s you want.

Most bottles of No. 5 are good, especially the old colognes and parfums, but it seems to be a bit of crapshoot. Maybe vintage (i.e., houndstooth) Miss Dior is a safer bet, but in that case I would go with the edt. If you wanted patchouli, then it has to be Miss Dior. They're equally Parisian, I'd say, No. 5 and Miss Dior.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Which vintage or decade for the Narcisse Noir? I’d be curious to try it and compare it to the new sample I have
That's a hard question. Caron perfumes have endured many reformulations over the years, and I think Narcisse Noir is one of the more difficult perfumes to find in a good vintage bottle. Try for the oldest bottle that you can find, in the best condition you can find. When shopping for vintage perfume, I usually try to get the parfum/extrait first, which usually endures better than other formulations, but deep vintage Caron EDT's and EDC's (e.g. from the 1960's or earlier) can also be excellent.

If you haven't seen it already, this post on the Raiders of the Lost Scent blog can help you date Caron bottles (the blog is a fantastic resource overall).

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.com/2016/11/how-to-recognize-caron-perfumes-1965.html

Good luck!

Margot1

Sep 12, 2021
90s should be good. Since I posted that, I got a backup bottle with the same labeling ("Perfume," Catherine Deneuve era), and it smells quite different. Also good, but surprisingly different. Older can be better, to a point. 90s - early 90s, at least, is usually early enough for me for just about anything. I guess 80s is maybe the best decade, for now, with 70s maybe having a higher chance for degradation. It all depends. If you can get it sealed, then it's 1920s you want.

Most bottles of No. 5 are good, especially the old colognes and parfums, but it seems to be a bit of crapshoot. Maybe vintage (i.e., houndstooth) Miss Dior is a safer bet, but in that case I would go with the edt. If you wanted patchouli, then it has to be Miss Dior. They're equally Parisian, I'd say, No. 5 and Miss Dior.
Thank you for all the info! I can only imagine getting my hands on a bottle from the 20s😍
I will keep my eyes open for some bottles and am super curious now about the differences in decades

Margot1

Sep 12, 2021
That's a hard question. Caron perfumes have endured many reformulations over the years, and I think Narcisse Noir is one of the more difficult perfumes to find in a good vintage bottle. Try for the oldest bottle that you can find, in the best condition you can find. When shopping for vintage perfume, I usually try to get the parfum/extrait first, which usually endures better than other formulations, but deep vintage Caron EDT's and EDC's (e.g. from the 1960's or earlier) can also be excellent.

If you haven't seen it already, this post on the Raiders of the Lost Scent blog can help you date Caron bottles (the blog is a fantastic resource overall).

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspot.com/2016/11/how-to-recognize-caron-perfumes-1965.html

Good luck!
Oh wow again so grateful for all the info! I will check that link out. Am wide eyed with amazement at everyone’s vast knowledge of perfume here, so thank you!

Margot1

Sep 12, 2021
If anyone is curious, I finally finished my first 44 samples! I’ve retried a couple too and interesting how a second impression can change either for the better or the worse. But here is my absolute favorites from this batch that I could see purchasing full bottles:

Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
Narciso Rodriguez EDT
Robert Piguet Fracas EDP
sixteen92 Mellifera
La Curie Ossuary
Serge Lutens Bois de Violette

Of course I want to resample these to see if I have the same strong love as the first time but I’m learning what I love in perfume and what I don’t.

Also tried two from the new samples
Isabey gardenia and Carla Fracci Giselle EDP and I like both. I’m currently reading More Than Love by Natasha Gregson Wagner about her mother Natalie Wood and really wanted to try jungle gardenia since it sounds like it was popular with some of the Hollywood actresses of that era so I may be influenced by the romanticism of the gardenia🙃

Have been learning so much from this site and all of you so thanks for all the recommendations and knowledge! I will keep you posted on my new findings(also already have another cart full of new samples I need to get haha) and if you have any other scents you think I might like feel free to let me know!

Staff online

Latest News