Help with diluting Mushroom (Cepes) Absolute!

skydancer

Apr 3, 2015
Hi Folks,

I've look all through the forums and couldn't find anyplace where this question has been answered. I did find one person who asked a similar question but I didn't see a definitive answer.

I have tried warming and diluting my Cepes abs in 95% ethanol and no matter how much I stir or shake, it remains a solid drop at the bottom of the bottle. Some of it dissolves as I can definitely detect the scent in the alcohol but most of it stays solid. I have shaken the bottle everyday for about 4 months and it still has not dissolved any further.

I know natural perfumers are using this but can't figure out how. Can any body help?

Thanks!

David Ruskin

May 28, 2009
Either your "absolute" isn't or the ethanol you are using contains too much water. From the way a proper absolute is extracted it must be soluble in ethanol. However very few Perfumery ingredients are water soluble, so any water present in the ethanol will cause problems. From your description I would guess that your problem lies with the Cepes. Have you tried dissolving it in anything else? If you only want to use naturals, try Almond oil, or Castor oil.

skydancer

Apr 3, 2015
Hi David! Thanks for your input. I don't know if it's a problem with the absolute but I bought it from a reputable seller from whom I've bought many other EOs and haven't had any problems. Likewise, the alcohol I'm using has worked for diluting other stubborn absolutes in my collection. It's just this one that's driving me batty.

I would like to stick with naturals so that's a good suggestion. I'll try dissolving a little of it in some warm almond oil and see if that works. Thanks! :)

p.s. Pardon my ignorance, I'm pretty new at this but if I'm able to dissolve it in almond oil, can I still use it in an alcohol based perfume?

Last edited:

DeletedUser20210620

Jan 27, 2007
I have the same problem as yours, my cepes absolute is totally solid. Have you tried putting it on baigne marie for a short time? Just to make it dissolve on the alcohol. It is what i plan to do with mine

skydancer

Apr 3, 2015
Hi rickbr! Yes, I have. It's the only way to work with it at all. I'm able to get it mobile enough to use a dropper but as soon as the drop hits the alcohol, it solidifies. Let me know if you have any better luck. :)

skydancer

Apr 3, 2015
Hi Pkiler, I have tried heating it a bit but get nervous about heating alcohol too much. Perhaps, if there's no open flame, I needn't worry? I also read something about the alcohol dissipating very quickly...

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Hi Pkiler, I have tried heating it a bit but get nervous about heating alcohol too much. Perhaps, if there's no open flame, I needn't worry? I also read something about the alcohol dissipating very quickly...

Weigh out your alcohol, expecting your anticipated addition and final ratio of dilution.

If 5-10 ml Alcohol, in a sealed capped bottle. Heat in the microwave 5 seconds.
It should not boil at 5 seconds.

CAREFULLY crack the cap, to see if it boils upon opening. Do not let it boil over, or likely, you will burn yourself.

If it does not boil, you can open, and place on your scale to weigh in your warmed Cepes.
I have mine diluted to 20%, but it's been too long since I diluted it to remember what transpired upon dilution.
But given it's strength, 20% is a good choice to use provided you want to keep it as strong as possible.

PK

David Ruskin

May 28, 2009
Hi David! Thanks for your input. I don't know if it's a problem with the absolute but I bought it from a reputable seller from whom I've bought many other EOs and haven't had any problems. Likewise, the alcohol I'm using has worked for diluting other stubborn absolutes in my collection. It's just this one that's driving me batty.

I would like to stick with naturals so that's a good suggestion. I'll try dissolving a little of it in some warm almond oil and see if that works. Thanks! :)

p.s. Pardon my ignorance, I'm pretty new at this but if I'm able to dissolve it in almond oil, can I still use it in an alcohol based perfume?

I very much doubt it. Fixed oils are not terribly soluble in alcohol.

Latest News