Help to choosing new scale 0.001g

ScentAle

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 26, 2021
Hello all. I need a good scale for multiple reasons. I know there are many threads about it, but I don't reach to choose, if someone have new suggestions about some new scale down to 150-200 dollars that have tried and want to say.

Reading threads and reviews, I'm thinking about these 3.

Cgoldenwall
Bonvoisin
U.s solid

And, I noticed thay often scales are the same but just with different brand name. That's because Private label system permit to sale the exact identic product, naming it differently, so can happen that same product cost more or less, due to brand decision.
Anyway, if someone suggest me for let me choose, thanks!

ourmess

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 25, 2018
Go for the US Solid (or any of the really obvious exact clones). There's also a 500x0.001 that's only a few dollars more so you may as well get the higher capacity.

ScentAle

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 26, 2021
Go for the US Solid (or any of the really obvious exact clones). There's also a 500x0.001 that's only a few dollars more so you may as well get the higher capacity.
Thank you. With "minimum capacity 20 mg" they indicate that the scale will start to correctly misure / will be reliable starting from 20 mg?

Casper_grassy

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2020
I ordered a US solid and had to return it, it wouldn’t calibrate and if you there was anything in a 5ft radius around it it wouldn’t stay on 0.000, if you put the walls around it same thing, it sensed my heartbeat and went up to 0.006 lol.

Myweigh Ibalance 101 is worth it. I don’t use it much but it’s very good. I just use my little cheap one.

ScentAle

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 26, 2021
I ordered a US solid and had to return it, it wouldn’t calibrate and if you there was anything in a 5ft radius around it it wouldn’t stay on 0.000, if you put the walls around it same thing, it sensed my heartbeat and went up to 0.006 lol.

Myweigh Ibalance 101 is worth it. I don’t use it much but it’s very good. I just use my little cheap one.
hard to choose for that. Everyone is ok / non ok with every scales. I was considering also the my weigh ibalance i201 but I readed some bad opinions there too, so I choose to ask here.

Casper, the US Solid is not sold with calibration weights? And also with using its protection it was so sensible to external movements?

Casper_grassy

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2020
hard to choose for that. Everyone is ok / non ok with every scales. I was considering also the my weigh ibalance i201 but I readed some bad opinions there too, so I choose to ask here.

Casper, the US Solid is not sold with calibration weights? And also with using its protection it was so sensible to external movements?
It had calibration weights, after calibration (multiple times, plus leveling) the weight would change if you looked at it wrong. There’s no product with strictly positive reviews, but maybe my was messed up and I didn’t want to ship it back and get a new one.

ScentAle

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 26, 2021
Oh ok I know, thanks. I'm tired to bad misurations of my cheap scale. It is not bad at all, the problem is in small trials and accurate smaller weight, and in drop by drop misurations I don't trust it, it is really not precise. And in weight repetitions, it is never the same, and small error of strong material in trial, could be an enormous error and difference then.

Instead viewing some videos, I saw that already a 150 scale is another level of precision. Repetitions weight change about nothing and I need this.

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
this issue probably depends upon static electricity. I now keep an antistatic gun in the lab to get rid this activity.

These three scales are probably all the same under the graphics changes...
Cgoldenwall, Bonvoisin, U.S solid
The US Solid is the version that I have, and use most of the time.
I have so many scales, that I already have way too many calibration weights, anyways, so that didn't bother me.

The static electricity thing perplexed me when I first got the scale.

I believe that removing the plastic sheeting from the plastic shield sides and top, created a large static charge in the plastic walls and top, that had the effect in the video, like Casper says, showing his heartbeat. LOL!
1660584135774.png

Casper_grassy

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2020
this issue probably depends upon static electricity. I now keep an antistatic gun in the lab to get rid this activity.

These three scales are probably all the same under the graphics changes...
Cgoldenwall, Bonvoisin, U.S solid
The US Solid is the version that I have, and use most of the time.
I have so many scales, that I already have way too many calibration weights, anyways, so that didn't bother me.

The static electricity thing perplexed me when I first got the scale.

I believe that removing the plastic sheeting from the plastic shield sides and top, created a large static charge in the plastic walls and top, that had the effect in the video, like Casper says, showing his heartbeat. LOL!
View attachment 274602
That video’s hilarious, that’s exactly what mine was doing.

After you went trigger happy with the gun Has it happened again? I never thought about something like that, I played around with it for about an hr and called it quits.

rococo

Jan 1, 2010
I have the linked US Solid scale (upgraded from a very shoddy little thing recently) and found I had to calibrate it a few times at the beginning, but haven't seen any drift or needed to recalibrate after the first couple of uses. Happy with it for the price.

RSG

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 26, 2016
I use the ibalance 500g and I love it. Grew out of my smaller one. I have a grounded desk plugged into the wall so as long as my leg has contact with desk leg I can clear static. Mine did not come with calibration weights which uses 200g so I had to buy twice because I bought 500g first. Only has to be calibrated after after moving or bumping. I felt the the weight of the plug was making it unbalanced so I got a bungee cord to hold it in the air.

Apr 20, 2019
I have been buying myWeigh scales for perfumery & personal care product manufacturing for over 20 years. They are dependable, accurate & a great value for the money. Make sure to buy the calibration weight set and they are easy to calibrate. I've never had any problems with them

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
I have been buying myWeigh scales for perfumery & personal care product manufacturing for over 20 years. They are dependable, accurate & a great value for the money. Make sure to buy the calibration weight set and they are easy to calibrate. I've never had any problems with them
I've worn out two i101, but got replacements for free... but really 100g is too limiting, get bigger.

tensor9

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 18, 2014
I don’t recommend super cheap scales.

This is the one I have:

Spend a little more for a reputable brand.

Keep in mind that I am a professional chemist, so I this advice comes along with some bias towards quality equipment when it comes to weighing. After all, weighing is how we count atoms and molecules in chemistry.

ScentAle

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 26, 2021
Thanks to all. I wanted to spend maximum 200 for a medium professional scale.
I think that about all amazon and ebay scales are produced in China mass production, and can go well, but, like some reviews said, can also go bad, like some user detected with everyone of that scales. So maybe the unique real risk is that scale have some real defect or that after some months arrive issues. If is ok, will be more than enough for me.

Instead with above professional 400-500 scale maybe the repetition error is zero and it is about sure that will not arrive problems, thanks to technically accuracy.
Clearly I would prefer that eheh, but anyway, I think that for me a medium 150 scale could be ok for drops use, with about 20mg in minimum starting misuration.

ScentAle

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 26, 2021
Oh u.s solid has only US plug (that is different from EU voltage) and no battery place, so it work only cabled, If i understand well.

One scale that seems very well maked, used by balance experts too, is Myweigh gempro 300 that is 0.001g,but it is only 60 g, so not.

Casper_grassy

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2020
Oh u.s solid has only US plug (that is different from EU voltage) and no battery place, so it work only cabled, If i understand well.

One scale that seems very well maked, used by balance experts too, is Myweigh gempro 300 that is 0.001g,but it is only 60 g, so not.
How big are the trials you make?

ScentAle

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 26, 2021
How big are the trials you make?
5 and 10, but I will need also higher weight capacity for make bottles. Seems that often lower weight scales are more accurate in minimum dosage.
I would like choose without wrong, I was for the u.s solid but now I saw that haven't battery space. And u.s solid operator, just for make me doubts, said me that that their 0.001 balance is not good for drop by drop misuration. But this is the Paul scale, and he use for his sample, and I trust more him than "who operator", also because I think he didn't understand well how is my usage.

Casper_grassy

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2020
5 and 10, but I will need also higher weight capacity for make bottles. Seems that often lower weight scales are more accurate in minimum dosage.
I would like choose without wrong, I was for the u.s solid but now I saw that haven't battery space. And u.s solid operator, just for make me doubts, said me that that their 0.001 balance is not good for drop by drop misuration. But this is the Paul scale, and he use for his sample, and I trust more him than "who operator", also because I think he didn't understand well how is my usage.
Maybe just try the myweigh then. 5-10 isn’t a lot.

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Scentale, Yes, the 100g limit for the i101 Myweigh scale was a limiting factor for me after awhile.
My sample size is always about 10g, intentionally.
The Chinese scales at .001g/500g do register 1 drop, or even less as a minimum load before changing. they usually take about .005g - .008g to change. .004-.006g is a bubble popping from a pipette, not even but 1/4 of a drop. The scale usually registers this bubble pop, for me.
I'm happy with the scale, but I also keep three scales on the bench for differing sizes of measurement...

ScentAle

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 26, 2021
Thanks and sorry for my detailed paranoid ahah. Yesterday I had that scale In checkout, then I saw that it work only with cable and us plug, and that can be a bit problematic for me, because I have a small space, and I would prefer to use it with aa/aaa batteries if possible.

Casper_grassy

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2020
That my weight gempro 300 is done for the smaller samples, and suggested also by balance experts. But is 60g, And for make larger bottles, how to do? With repeating every time 50g?
Well i’m just saying, if you don’t see yourself making larger bottles in the near future I don’t think it’s a big deal to try that one out. However, at this point if you have a working scale, it might just be smarter to wait and save up more money to buy a better one to fulfill all your needs.

ScentAle

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 26, 2021
Well i’m just saying, if you don’t see yourself making larger bottles in the near future I don’t think it’s a big deal to try that one out. However, at this point if you have a working scale, it might just be smarter to wait and save up more money to buy a better one to fulfill all your needs.
I need also to make some larger bottles, and since I have to buy the scale, it was perfect to have both capacity and accuracy.
Anyway wouldn't be a real big problem to restart every misuration after every 50g. Just little boring yes

Last edited:

RSG

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 26, 2016
Yea, I considered getting a scale with batteries but had a smaller jeweler scale that seemed to eat batteries. Then it would measure wrong, and I would not always know it was happening.

So that's why I went ahead with a plugin scale that CAN use batteries if I want it to. And yes, the plug became a problem because the block on it is heavy enough to pull the corner of the scale and make it uneven. So now I have my plug hanging in the air from a bungee lol

Casper_grassy

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2020
I've always used the iM01 model which has a 1,000g limit. The only drawback is it only goes down to 0.00 decimal places, but the 2 decimals has never been a problem for me
Well since you do make larger trials, and I’ll assume you use some diluted materials, I can’t see the .01 reading not be small enough. It’s just “scaling (pun)” up.

pavomi

Basenotes Junkie
Sep 3, 2016
Ops true. I can't come back zero with taring and restart going over the maximum weight limit. I was thinking wrong. Thanks.

i made similar mistakes LOL. and i don't regret that i finally decided to invest a little bit more money. the scale is our everyday tool...

RSG

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 26, 2016
More on the subject of a scale. Lots of them have those screw-on feet for leveling I haven't been able to get enough space to keep the scale at the edge of a table constantly, so I have to move mine in and out. But sometimes, the feet would move and then unbalance the scale. I now have my scale on a sliding appliance tray, and I love it so much!! I can move it back and forth with no problem, and it doesn't disturb it at all!

Latest News