Help suggest scents for my partner

philosophe

Sep 15, 2019
I believe she might have contracted the fragrance bug from me, so it's only fair that I help her find more scents to love. She tends to like rich scents, orientals, aldehydics, some white florals, as well as some unique stuff. Some fragrances she enjoys:

Gucci Mémoire d'une Odeur
Guerlain Shalimar
Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
Calvin Klein Obsession
Tom Ford Métallique
Tom Ford Black Orchid
Mugler Alien
Mugler Angel EDP
Carolina Herrera Good Girl
Dior Hypnotic Poison
YSL Opium

She also likes to steal my Aramis Tobacco Reserve and Floris Leather Oud sometimes. They smell great on her.

So, any suggestions on new scents to try?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Many great fragrances mentioned both among the ones already liked and the ones recommended above-also taking the liberty to add for a possible (re) testing list:

Jaipur Bracelet by Boucheron,
Chanel Coco Noir and Allure EDP
a few Lutens fragrances, especially Feminite du Bois
Guerlain Songe d'un Bois d'Ete
Arlesienne and/or Ambre&Santal by l'Occitane
All'Olio di Argan and/or Osmanthus by l'Erbolario
Sandalo by Etro
Escale a Pondichery by Dior

philosophe

Sep 15, 2019
Your partner has great taste!

l recommend Guerlain Samsara, a classic rich floriental with jasmine & sandalwood. Anyone who loves Alien & Black Orchid would surely love this too! ;)
Oh, that sounds great! We're going to Disney World soon, so we'll definitely be stopping by the Guerlain boutique at Epcot and smelling all they have to offer. Drinking and smelling around the world.

LauraH

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 24, 2021
Oh, that sounds great! We're going to Disney World soon, so we'll definitely be stopping by the Guerlain boutique at Epcot and smelling all they have to offer. Drinking and smelling around the world.

Hold up, there’s a Guerlain boutique at Epcot?! Having in-laws who live in Orlando is about to pay off for me, big time. :lolk:

philosophe

Sep 15, 2019
Hold up, there’s a Guerlain boutique at Epcot?! Having in-laws who live in Orlando is about to pay off for me, big time. [emoji38]k:
I believe it's in Epcot's France section. Based on pictures it looks to have an extensive selection. I think there's also an Acqua di Parma boutique in Italy and a Penhaligons in UK. Others as well.

Jul 20, 2017
Actually she has Dune coming next from Scentbox. We both like that one. Not vintage formulation though...

If she likes the current stuff, I would highly recommend vintage. I don’t often say this about vintage/current comparisons as there are plenty of fragrances which provide a respectable approximation in the current incarnation of the original, however it’s orders of magnitude better.

khanada

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 3, 2020
+1 for Gucci Rush, Dune (also +1 for vintage, not hard to find and much better), Coco Noir, Youth Dew Amber Nude (or 4160 Tuesdays Eau My Soul)

Narciso Rodriguez “Narciso” EDP or EDT, it is in a white or black cube shape. I used to think the EDP was better, but I now have EDT too, and both are excellent. I think she would like Fleur Musc also.

Ormonde Jayne Prive, must for Coco Mademoiselle fans!!

Yves Saint Laurent Cinema, discontinued but easy to get. EDP is better.

Lolita Lempicka, so cheap and so good.

Habanita, current EDT is fine, and L’Esprit too

Guerlain Le Petit Noir Black Perfecto, Mon Guerlain Bloom of Rose, maybe Insolence EDP (she likes Alien, so I think she will like this, although it is violet and not jasmine, still a fierce purple perfume!!), and Apres l’Ondee. Maybe Jicky too

Robert Piguet Petit Fracas

Prada Infusion D’Iris and Infusion d’Iris Absolue, Infusion de Tuberose if you can find it

Bond No 9 Chinatown

Kerosene Unknown Pleasures

Does she like Roses? Some people do not, but if she does, I suggested MG Bloom of Rose above, and also Ormonde Jayne Ta’If and the original Agent Provocateur is classic. Parfums de Marly Felina is lovely also

Frederic Malle Porrait of a Lady and Carnal Flower

Diorella, current is fine

Lorenzo Villoresi Teint de Neige, any formula is good. Every girl should have a pretty nightttime herlittope bedtime musc. L’Instant de Guerlain is also good for

philosophe

Sep 15, 2019
+1 for Gucci Rush, Dune (also +1 for vintage, not hard to find and much better), Coco Noir, Youth Dew Amber Nude (or 4160 Tuesdays Eau My Soul)

Narciso Rodriguez “Narciso” EDP or EDT, it is in a white or black cube shape. I used to think the EDP was better, but I now have EDT too, and both are excellent. I think she would like Fleur Musc also.

Ormonde Jayne Prive, must for Coco Mademoiselle fans!!

Yves Saint Laurent Cinema, discontinued but easy to get. EDP is better.

Lolita Lempicka, so cheap and so good.

Habanita, current EDT is fine, and L’Esprit too

Guerlain Le Petit Noir Black Perfecto, Mon Guerlain Bloom of Rose, maybe Insolence EDP (she likes Alien, so I think she will like this, although it is violet and not jasmine, still a fierce purple perfume!!), and Apres l’Ondee. Maybe Jicky too

Robert Piguet Petit Fracas

Prada Infusion D’Iris and Infusion d’Iris Absolue, Infusion de Tuberose if you can find it

Bond No 9 Chinatown

Kerosene Unknown Pleasures

Does she like Roses? Some people do not, but if she does, I suggested MG Bloom of Rose above, and also Ormonde Jayne Ta’If and the original Agent Provocateur is classic. Parfums de Marly Felina is lovely also

Frederic Malle Porrait of a Lady and Carnal Flower

Diorella, current is fine

Lorenzo Villoresi Teint de Neige, any formula is good. Every girl should have a pretty nightttime herlittope bedtime musc. L’Instant de Guerlain is also good for
So many options here! Can say that she does like Coco Noir. Also smelled Youth Dew at a department store recently, and she enjoyed that as well. I don't recall if it was AN or the original. I was surprised by how much she likes indolic fragrances. That one borders on halitosis level lol. She also has an Agent Provocateur flanker that she likes, Fatale Intense, though I don't think based on the notes that it is close to the original. She isn't a huge rose fan, but she will wear things that has some rose as a note.

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
After going over her preferences, and her list of favorites, I'm surprised no one has suggested Chanel No. 5. An old school scent to end them all, and Marilyn Monroe's favorite, apparently.

And it has a floral-aldehydic opening very similar to Or Noir, which I already suggested in your cheapies thread.

Kotori

In my little cloud
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
If she likes the current stuff, I would highly recommend vintage. I don’t often say this about vintage/current comparisons as there are plenty of fragrances which provide a respectable approximation in the current incarnation of the original, however it’s orders of magnitude better.
Agreed. I traded or tossed my modern formulation for vintage on Dune. But I have modern formulations of almost everything else.

Adding in my 2 cents, I agree she might like Gucci Rush , Dior Addict, and Guerlain Samsara.

Here are a few more she might enjoy:

Amouage Ubar oriental Jasmine-rose that isn’t shy

Montale Jasmine Full might be too in the vein of Alien, but I enjoy this soprano jasmine

Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur has some basenote similarities to Black Orchid, but with a spicy, bready top

Anne Pliska has some similarities to Obsession, with kind of an orange candy top

Derviche / Derviche II by Rogue Perfumery a rich fruity tobacco to consider

1986 Eclectique by Les Bains Guerbois because she likes Obsession, Opium, and tabacco notes

L’Instant de Guerlain an orangey, honeyed magnolia with a crystalline quality that I think lovers of Hypnotic Poison and Alien might be drawn to

Gucci Bloom she might like a throaty tuberose…

Chanel Beige great for lovers of clear florals

Chanel Coromandel because she likes Angel - I think this is such a smooth, dark gourmand

Kenzo Jungle L’Elephant a warm, spicy that’s great for winter- anyone who likes Opium should try it

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...