döfä91

Dec 2, 2006
Here's the riddle ;)

-it's a classic male scent, been around at least from 80s, maybe even 70's or earlier
-it has exceptionally strong sillage, it really leaves behind floating in a room when the person has left the room
-it's definately woody, dry and woody are maybe the best adjectives describing it, also spicy, unfortunately can't name the spicies
-formal and strong
-its NOT Drakkar Noir (which is the nearest scent i've found being somewhat similar to it), it's NOT Tsar, not Antaeus (which also has something similar),
NOT Gucci PH
-when i was young in the 80's i remember my first boss used this scent while i was sitting in his office at the employ interview
-it must be quite rare nowadays

I really would like to identify which fragrance this is. If it's still in production / available. As i said before, Drakkar Noir is the closest to it i have found - but that's not the one.

Nevena

Aug 14, 2006
When was Your first boss wearing that fabulous fragrance? That will help me eliminate those mada after as so many great scents were made in the 80s. Dry, woody, spicy and not DN?????? Similar to DN, made much earlier were Pino Silvestre, Silvestre by Victor, all the Puigs - Quorum, Aqua lavanda, Aqua Brava. Azarro PH, Dunhill, Paco Rabanne PH, Jazz YSL came in 88 and is a tad sweeter than what You describe. Jules by Dior. Do You know how Brut original smells? Could be that one too. Van Cleef & Arpels is guite similar to Antaeus. Aramis and Polo were big then. If it was in Eurrope, chances are slim it would be Halston or Gray flannel, but one never knows. Jacomo? - many mmen wore it then.

Go to a shop and speak to some SA that new the market then! In every country, different frags were common or unheard of. Good luck!

D

DeepSilence

Gucci Nobile.
It's Discontinued, And nearest scent to Drakkar Noir.

Last edited:

Johnny_Ludlow

Nov 2, 2004
I believe Aramis and Polo were big in Finland those days. If I had to stick with just one guess, I'd say it's Aramis. It certainly is dry, more so than most of the other realistic suggestions.

Morning Star

Mar 8, 2009
Coveri pour Homme, F. Smalto, Basile Uomo - I´ve found those two quite similar to Drakkar

Bowling Green is also said to be close to Drakkar in a way...but I haven´t tried it so far

anyway this question may be out of date as the scent could have been reformulated since the time and nowadays it is different (remember Oscar de la Renta/1981)...

Last edited:

döfä91

Dec 2, 2006
Hi and many thanks for your input!
You guys mention many brands that are unknown to me, so it's easier for me to exclude some that's i'm sure it's NOT at least:
(i hate to put down some good suggestions of you!) It's not Polo, Kouros, any of Aramis product line, Santos, Azzaro PH., Paco Rabanne, Grey Flannel, Quorum.

I will start searching based on your suggestions, other than i listed above. My own strongest guess says it could well be Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme. I already ordered a bottle as a blind buy (in my country they don't sell it, nor many others mentioned.). It was/is a truly amazing fragrance, and i have decided to find it (if it's still available). Will report here if i will :)

noodles

Nov 15, 2007
I have exactly the same identify problem. EXACTLY THE SAME! When I find this thread, my heart almost jumped out. :) And there is not any valid result. All these tips are not valid. Is there anybody out there, who can help me??? This mystery fragrance has Drakkar Noir soul with something like smooth and addictive tobacco note, whitch I found in Dolce & Gabbana pour homme (realesed in 1993). My last experince is, that this mystery note is resembled in Thierry Mugler ALIEN EDP !!! My investigation takes me many years and I have no valid result. Please help me (us). It was propably discontinued in early 90th, becauce since then I can´t smell it nowhere. (sorry for my imperfect english).

Wheatstraw2

Nov 10, 2011
Conspicuously absent from your portfolio is Halston Z-14. That's the only one I can come up with that you don't already own. Well, actually, VCAPH, despite the heavy, soapy rose note, may be what you're after because it is indeed on the dry side. Based on your location, Van Cleef would be more likely than Z-14?

Colin Maillard

Jan 24, 2013
This kind of threads always looks to me like looking for a needle in the ocean. There was dozens, if not hundreds of scents back then, at various degrees of quality and availability, which were all much similar one to another. Plus there was worldwide designer scents, but also tons of "local" cheaper scents which probably other countries never heard of... and so on. Some visual reference for the bottle may help!

noodles

Nov 15, 2007
Conspicuously absent from your portfolio is Halston Z-14. That's the only one I can come up with that you don't already own. Well, actually, VCAPH, despite the heavy, soapy rose note, may be what you're after because it is indeed on the dry side. Based on your location, Van Cleef would be more likely than Z-14?

Thanks for response. VCA is potent stuff and I hate this. Z14 is fine, but is not the one.

noodles

Nov 15, 2007
This kind of threads always looks to me like looking for a needle in the ocean. There was dozens, if not hundreds of scents back then, at various degrees of quality and availability, which were all much similar one to another. Plus there was worldwide designer scents, but also tons of "local" cheaper scents which probably other countries never heard of... and so on. Some visual reference for the bottle may help!

Yes. It is almost impossible find this lost gem. BUT I have fresh experience with Thierry Mugler Alien. It was the similar case. Once upon time I smelled magical "deep purple" trail behind the stranger woman and I was not quick enough and I didn´t ask her what she was wearing. I just "smelled" this magical deep purple color aura. And then I accidently saw this Alien deep purple colour bottle and finally I found this magical fragrance. Yes it is too hard, but not impossible. I have not any info about bottle. I have just almost 30 year old very sharp and unforgettable and indescribable remembrance.

This story is from East Europe. In this time (80ties) there were not any local fragrance producers. There were only special shops for "western goods" (Chanel, Dior and other famous producers).

Last edited:

Russlan

Jan 17, 2002
I have exactly the same identify problem. EXACTLY THE SAME! When I find this thread, my heart almost jumped out. :) And there is not any valid result. All these tips are not valid. Is there anybody out there, who can help me??? This mystery fragrance has Drakkar Noir soul with something like smooth and addictive tobacco note, whitch I found in Dolce & Gabbana pour homme (realesed in 1993). My last experince is, that this mystery note is resembled in Thierry Mugler ALIEN EDP !!! My investigation takes me many years and I have no valid result. Please help me (us). It was propably discontinued in early 90th, becauce since then I can´t smell it nowhere. (sorry for my imperfect english).

Ecensia Loewe

Russlan

Jan 17, 2002
This story is from East Europe. In this time (80ties) there were not any local fragrance producers. There were only special shops for "western goods" (Chanel, Dior and other famous producers).

Not correct. In Ukraine alone there were about five first-class perfumeries. In Russian Federation - about ten. Florena (DDR), Pollena (Poland), Alen Mak (Bulgaria), Dzintars in Latvia, there were many local producers with lots of brilliant creations - but almost all of them gone by now. The fact that all those brands were hidden behind the Iron Curtain and weren't present on the pages of Vogue in the 70s does not diminish their objective legacy.

Last edited:

Darjeeling

Oct 29, 2012
Strong bump. Then there's always the chance that
(a) they aren't remembering the scent correctly (e.g. it actually was Drakkar Noir but there are inaccuracies in recollection), or
(b) they remember the scent correctly, but thanks to reformulations the scent profile has changed enough to throw them off.

noodles

Nov 15, 2007
Many thanks for your responses. I tested almost all 80-ties powerhouse frags (90% vintage version) and I didn´t find it. I tested clasic fragrance from 20-ties (Le Dandy for example), 30-ties (Caron Pour Un Homme, Dunhill for men ....) 50-ties clasics, 60ties and 70-ties classics (Aramis, Azzaro ...), vintage Houbigant Fougere Royal and all next potential frags. I hoped, that I something missed. But I am afraid that Darjeeling is right. May be that my senses was changed dramatically over this long time. In this case Drakkar Noir is probably the fragrance I finding for. During 80-ties in my country (Czech Republic) was only a few cheap realy horrible fragrances from domestic producers (Pitralon for example). In this contrast, Drakkar Noir had to be like mystery from another planet without any potencial domestic competitors and with gigantic wow efect. And level of the wow efect probably decreased after all these years. And there is another one important information. In this time this smell worn mainly African and Arabian college students (the only foreigners I met in this time). And it wasn´t Kouros.

Latest News