Help me date my bottle of Antaeus?

Aug 11, 2021
Hi everybody! I’m brand new to base notes! I haven’t added my full fragrance wardrobe, but in time I will! Anywho, I’ve just recently started getting into acquiring vintage formulations. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me date my bottle of Antaeus? I got it off eBay, and the seller said it was vintage. But after looking at Raiders of the Lost Scent, and a few other forum posts, I don’t think it’s older than 5 years. Unfortunately I don’t have the original box. But I do have a few photos of the bottle. Any help would be appreciated! And regardless if it’s vintage or not, I F***ING LOVE IT! I literally just sprayed it for the first time and it’s woody, floral, with some incense or musk.

View attachment 159744 View attachment 159743 View attachment 159742 View attachment 159741

Aug 11, 2021
My sincerest apologies! I posted from my phone and didn't realize I wasn't doing it correctly :embarassed: Thank you N.CAL! Let my try again.

IMG_4282.jpg
IMG_4283.jpg
IMG_4284.jpg
IMG_4285.jpg

nosey74

Aug 30, 2014
My sincerest apologies! I posted from my phone and didn't realize I wasn't doing it correctly :embarassed: Thank you N.CAL! Let my try again.

View attachment 159797
View attachment 159798
View attachment 159799
View attachment 159800

Your batch code is 4601 so according to checkfesh.com your bottle was made in October 2019 or October 2011 or October 2003 as the codes are repeating every 8 years. What does the top of the cap look like? Is there a metal inlay with the Chanel logo engraved?

Aug 11, 2021
I used checkfresh but seeing as the batch codes repeat, and I am new to perfumery as well as Chanel's confusing batch code system (perhaps after collecting more vintages it won't seem as confusing over time), I wanted to get some expertise as I know there are many folks on here with multiple bottles of Antaeus. I really appreciate your responses. I have a feeling I have the 2019 version, which I've read isn't a terrible reformulation. Buuuut, I want to know what that original is like. SO I bought a mini splash bottle off eBay! From the sellers photos, it looks like it has been kept out of the box. The white lettering is so dirty and stained that it looks gray. The Chanel monogram on top of the cap is all black. It says Eau de Toilette above Chanel and 80% vol on the bottom of the sticker label. The seller has very positive feedback from over 1,000 reviews so its either a real vintage or they are unknowingly selling a fake. I asked if it was full and they sent me a photo with a flashlight shining from the other side, and it looks like it is mostly full!

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1602.jpg

Aug 11, 2021
Thank you Bavard! I was creeping on other forums and would hope you’d chime in haha. The second bottle I posted, the dirty looking splash bottle, I haven’t received yet. Those are the photos from the seller, but I can’t wait to receive it!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Your batch code is 4601 so according to checkfesh.com your bottle was made in October 2019 or October 2011 or October 2003 as the codes are repeating every 8 years. What does the top of the cap look like? Is there a metal inlay with the Chanel logo engraved?

I think bottles from the earlier 2000s had the Eau de toilette on the back and not the bottom. I would say 2011 or 2019 would be more likely.

As for the splash bottle you're looking at 1980s or early 90s. It has the 80% vol which is shown on earlier bottles.

Aug 11, 2021
Fantastic! Thank you N.CAL! I like the newer one a lot, but obviously with an older release like Antaeus, a vintage is where it’s at if I want to experience what this scent was meant to be. Can’t wait for it to arrive!

Aug 11, 2021
Ok so I am new to fragrances and collecting and can’t describe them super well yet. But I received my vintage Antaeus and am wearing it on my left wrist and the newer one on my right elbow. Immediately I can tell that the vintage is, I don’t know if this is the right word...darker? It has more depth? The new one seems brighter, like the citrus notes are little more prominent. It has a rosy incense with wood and citrus kind of scent. The older one, is a little harder to describe. I can smell those roses! But it isn’t like rose incense. It’s different, and more like a fresh rose with other notes. It’s definitely better than the reform. I don’t know what oakmoss actually smells like, but it really made a difference as my vintage Antaeus, no 5’s, and no 19 are all very beautiful and pretty long lasting fragrances compared to newer releases.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Current Antaeus is ok. No. 5 and No. 19 edt seem much nicer to me in older bottles, especially No. 19.

Aug 11, 2021
Yes I completely agree about Chanel no 5 and no 19. I have a vintage EDT, EDP, and cologne of no 5 that are all fantastic. My EDT of no 19 is from the very early 2000s, it’s a set of three 15 ml glass bottles with a silver spray that you twist on and silver cap that goes over. It came in a plastic box with a light green insert and both English and Japanese print on it. The seller said she bought it at a Japanese airport before 2004. Anyways it’s discontinued now but really cool, I’ll upload a photo of it later. It seems to have decent performance and longevity. I haven’t smelled a newer EDT so I can’t compare it, or even a vintage EDT yet. I also got a mostly full vintage pure parfum of no 19 in a little silver and gold plastic purse spray (7.5 ml) and I can only use it sparingly as it’s too beautiful and hard to come by for the price I paid ($50) as it’s the cognac color instead of green.

I bought a new parfum of no 5 in a black and gold purse spray (also 7.5 ml) and it’s beautiful and has good performance, but I bought it brand new so I’m gonna let it age a little before using it again. My new twist and spray with two refills of no 5 is awful. I think the smell is the same, but it lasts less than 40 mins. It’s like water. Maybe it needs to macerate, I’m going to let it sit for a year before using it again and see how it goes. I’m new to perfumes so I’m not even sure if perfumes really can age well after they are bottled and sprayed a few times (as in becoming stronger) or if that is mental trick we play on ourselves? Any comments? I’m open minded!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Ok so I am new to fragrances and collecting and can’t describe them super well yet. But I received my vintage Antaeus and am wearing it on my left wrist and the newer one on my right elbow. Immediately I can tell that the vintage is, I don’t know if this is the right word...darker? It has more depth? The new one seems brighter, like the citrus notes are little more prominent. It has a rosy incense with wood and citrus kind of scent. The older one, is a little harder to describe. I can smell those roses! But it isn’t like rose incense. It’s different, and more like a fresh rose with other notes. It’s definitely better than the reform. I don’t know what oakmoss actually smells like, but it really made a difference as my vintage Antaeus, no 5’s, and no 19 are all very beautiful and pretty long lasting fragrances compared to newer releases.

Vintage Antaeus has significantly more depth and complexity than the current. The vintage is also a lot more raw and natural of a scent compared to the current formulation which uses more synthetics to conjure up what Antaeus use to smell like.

Latest News