Hello! So Happy to be Here…

emwilliams

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 19, 2021
Good Evening!

My name is Erin and I am new to Basenotes, but thrilled to have found a forum for such a wealth of knowledge.

I have a sensory processing disorder that makes my nose a bit hypersensitive. Because of this, I’ve always really enjoyed scents. I also had a series of sinus surgeries that heightened my senses even further. At first, this was a bit of hinderance as it seemed the only thing I smelled were things you wouldn’t want to. I learned that this super-keen sensory nose of mine could be used for picking up the even the finest undertones in lavish scents. It’s become a bit of a hobby to pick a pick a scent - a wine, fragrance, what have you - and see if I can detect the different blends.

I’m delighted to have found you all and hope that I can meet people that are just as enthusiastic about this niche!

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
d93de15f6292e8886d7f7048284f39b7.gif

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Hi Erin......so glad you found us and decided to join! I think you'll enjoy it here :)

You might also want to do one of these....

emwilliams

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 19, 2021
A34C5AB5-B1C5-4AAA-9CED-6D9995D8CF1E.jpegI’m Erin! I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I am a native Texan, located just outside of Houston. I work for a large engineering university and I’m married with 2 very rowdy boys.

My grandmother was the epitome of a first class lady. Peals, diamonds, and a full face of makeup at all times. She would take me to tea at Neiman Marcus as a little girl and it’s because of her that I have a taste (or nose) for beautiful things. The simple pleasure of strolling by the fragrance aisle gives me so much joy and brings back warm memories of her.

The first fragrance I ever owned was...
Tresor by Lancome

The first fragrance I bought with my own money was...
Knowing by Estée Lauder

My favorite fragrances is....
Gabrielle by Chanel

Tell us a bit about where you live (you don't have to specify where it is if you don't want to)
Just a bit outside Houston, Texas, US

Tell us a bit about what you do for fun...
Travel, read, crosswords, paint

Tell us a bit about what you do for work...
I am a recruiting director for the graduate program for an engineering university

🎵 Your favourite band / music / album....
Currently listening to Parker McCollum on Spotify

📺 Your favourite TV Shows...
Currently re-watching Game of Thrones, Yellowstone

🎬 Your favourite Movies....
Steel Magnolias

📚 Your favourite Books....
Mud, Outlander, The Kitchen Help, Greenlights

🕹️ Your favourite video games...
Don’t play video games

😋 Your favourite food...
Mexican

🐱 Do you have any pets?
I don’t have any pets

🎉 What's your best party trick?
I can sing a mean Karaoke version of Me and Bobby McGee

😎 Has anyone ever told you that you look like someone famous?
Not in a very long time! You be the judge.

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
Hi, Erin -- That sounds cool. I'd love to hear that.
If you join us in the daily Scent of The Day thread, you'll notice something interesting about member Trilby Lark's avatar.
As far as celeb lookalikes, your haircut reminds me of Yvonne Craig.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021
Good Evening!

My name is Erin and I am new to Basenotes, but thrilled to have found a forum for such a wealth of knowledge.

I have a sensory processing disorder that makes my nose a bit hypersensitive. Because of this, I’ve always really enjoyed scents. I also had a series of sinus surgeries that heightened my senses even further. At first, this was a bit of hinderance as it seemed the only thing I smelled were things you wouldn’t want to. I learned that this super-keen sensory nose of mine could be used for picking up the even the finest undertones in lavish scents. It’s become a bit of a hobby to pick a pick a scent - a wine, fragrance, what have you - and see if I can detect the different blends.

I’m delighted to have found you all and hope that I can meet people that are just as enthusiastic about this niche!
Hi Erin! I'm a newbie as well! You seem to have an awesome sense of smell that's great for this kind of industry! What kind of fragrances do you like the most?

emwilliams

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 19, 2021
Hi Erin! I'm a newbie as well! You seem to have an awesome sense of smell that's great for this kind of industry! What kind of fragrances do you like the most?
Hi! I’d say I lead towards more masculine scents. I prefer woody, spicy notes… and leather. Vanilla is nice. Fruit and berries in moderation. A new fragrance I picked up today is Gucci’s Guilty Absolute Femme.

I likely would not have purchased this blindly… something about the Gucci brand, maybe? It’s just not “me.” I think it pretty much embodies the antithesis of me, in fact and I’ve never been drawn to it. However, my 7 year-old son happened to spritz a sample and I was quite captivated by it. There’s probably a metaphor in this in that you shouldn’t judge things or that things look so much clearer through the lense of child. I’m not mad about it! I’m quite happy to be more open and explore things I’d have otherwise dismissed.

What is captivating your senses at the moment?

Juxtapozbliss

Author, Artist & Creative Director
Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
View attachment 179002I’m Erin! I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I am a native Texan, located just outside of Houston. I work for a large engineering university and I’m married with 2 very rowdy boys.
My grandmother was the epitome of a first class lady. Peals, diamonds, and a full face of makeup at all times. She would take me to tea at Neiman Marcus as a little girl and it’s because of her that I have a taste (or nose) for beautiful things. The simple pleasure of strolling by the fragrance aisle gives me so much joy and brings back warm memories of her.

The first fragrance I ever owned was...
Tresor by Lancome

The first fragrance I bought with my own money was...
Knowing by Estée Lauder

My favorite fragrances is....
Gabrielle by Chanel

Tell us a bit about where you live (you don't have to specify where it is if you don't want to)
Just a bit outside Houston, Texas, US

Tell us a bit about what you do for fun...
Travel, read, crosswords, paint

Tell us a bit about what you do for work...
I am a recruiting director for the graduate program for an engineering university

🎵 Your favourite band / music / album....
Currently listening to Parker McCollum on Spotify

📺 Your favourite TV Shows...
Currently re-watching Game of Thrones, Yellowstone

🎬 Your favourite Movies....
Steel Magnolias

📚 Your favourite Books....
Mud, Outlander, The Kitchen Help, Greenlights

🕹️ Your favourite video games...
Don’t play video games

😋 Your favourite food...
Mexican

🐱 Do you have any pets?
I don’t have any pets

😎 Has anyone ever told you that you look like someone famous?
Not in a very long time! You be the judge.

Thanks for joining us!

emwilliams

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 19, 2021
What are your favorite Chanels? I also enjoy Guerlain.
I will have to look into Guerlain. Thanks for the suggestion. I have:
No. 5
No. 5 l’Eau
Coco
Gabrielle
Gabrielle Intense
Mademoiselle
Bleu (stolen from my husband!)

Most often, I reach for Gabrielle. I’d say I wear it at least 4 days a week. The 2 No. 5s seem to pack too much of a powdery tone and make my office suite a bit unbearable in the mornings (even with only 1 spritz.) I do tend to agree with their observations. It is an acquired taste, especially the original.

I adore spicy, woody, leathery scents and typically lean towards more masculine varieties. However, Gabrielle has my number!

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Nice to have you on board! Are Super smellers like super-tasters? Are lot of things us normies find palatable (like cilantro and onion) completely unbearable to people with heightened senses?

I can only imagine what that must be like. My BF has pretty acute taste and even a little hot sauce is too much for him, plus he hates cilantro and can differentiate subtle shades of flavors like tomatoes that to me all "taste like tomato".

As you can imagine, he's a plain eater but is the household authority on if something perishable is good or starting to turn!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I will have to look into Guerlain. Thanks for the suggestion. I have:
No. 5
No. 5 l’Eau
Coco
Gabrielle
Gabrielle Intense
Mademoiselle
Bleu (stolen from my husband!)

Most often, I reach for Gabrielle. I’d say I wear it at least 4 days a week. The 2 No. 5s seem to pack too much of a powdery tone and make my office suite a bit unbearable in the mornings (even with only 1 spritz.) I do tend to agree with their observations. It is an acquired taste, especially the original.

I adore spicy, woody, leathery scents and typically lean towards more masculine varieties. However, Gabrielle has my number!
Nice. Have you tried Cuir de Russie, Bois des Iles, Coromandel, and Sycomore? These are from the Les Exclusifs collection that features some of the spicy, woody, and leather scents.

For a slightly more unisex feel Egoiste is another to try.

I would also suggest Pour Monsieur, No 19, Cristalle if you're open to green fragrances.

Latest News