Hello Basenotes!

Jul 6, 2021
After lurking around for years, I made an account in June and have posted a few times in an Areej Le Dore thread.
Saw this thoughtful set of intro questions and it looked fun- here we go! Very happy to be part of this group!
When I was a kid I liked fragrances- then about 10 years ago started getting into oud oil. After living in Dubai for a year I started
collecting perfume- especially Areej Le Dore! I love it when a perfume brings out an old forgotten memory...and I get to spend time in that memory again.

The first fragrance I ever owned was... CK one, I got it for Christmas in 1994? 1995?

The first fragrance I bought with my own money was...I used to get mini bottles for my Mom. I think the first one I bought was White Diamonds, and then Sun Moon and Stars.

My favorite fragrances is....Chinese Oud by Areej Le Dore & Any Maroke oud from Ensar

Tell us a bit about where you live (you don't have to specify where it is if you don't want to)...I live in New England.

Tell us a bit about what you do for fun...I paint with ink, write stories, play synthesizers and record on big tape reels.

Tell us a bit about what you do for work...I work as a design director for a consultancy

🎵 Your favourite band / music / album....Right now I'm listening to a lot of Neu! and Hanoi Rocks. I like the album "Nebraska" by Bruce Springsteen

📺 Your favourite TV Shows...Favorite streaming of the last year was Station Eleven!

🎬 Your favourite Movies....Solaris, Stalker- anything by Tarkovsky...The original Star Wars trilogy...Old Rankin and Bass cartoons. Old Taped TV with commercials intact.

📚 Your favourite Books....Anything by Hermann Hesse- but especially Knulp and Demien

🕹️ Your favourite video games...Super Metroid for SNES

😋 Your favourite food...I like my breakfast that I've been making during the pandemic. Basic but comforting. Plain oatmeal, two soft boiled eggs with herbs and paprika on top, a strip of bacon, and a clementine. Coffee too, and a big glass of cool, clean water.

🐱 Do you have any pets? Negatory

🎉 What's your best party trick? Being the last one to leave, for better or worse.

😎 Has anyone ever told you that you look like someone famous? I've gotten Chevy Chase a few times when my hair is long and I'm wearing a baseball hat.

This was fun! Thanks for putting these questions out there!

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
Welcome, and thanks for the great intro. I share your passion for Ensar and Areej. Please enjoy your time here!

ScentSensei

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 21, 2020
The first fragrance I bought with my own money was...I used to get mini bottles for my Mom
This struck a chord with me M_M as I am grateful for my Mom using small cologne bottles as stocking stuffers for me as a teen. Canoe, Stetson,
Grey Flannel, Polo, Aramis...It didn't register at the time but it ended up being the spark that lit up my passion for fragrance all this time later!

Jul 6, 2021
This struck a chord with me M_M as I am grateful for my Mom using small cologne bottles as stocking stuffers for me as a teen. Canoe, Stetson,
Grey Flannel, Polo, Aramis...It didn't register at the time but it ended up being the spark that lit up my passion for fragrance all this time later!
Thanks for sharing this memory! I loved all of those mini bottles. Such characters. Related- I'm remembering now...13-14 years old, headed to the mall with no money, and then realizing that there is something very very cool you can get at the mall with no money- Perfume samples. Used to spend a lot of time in that section sort of carefully smelling things for a while, talking with the staff...and then when it didn't seem rude, asking for samples. Sometimes for me, but most of the time for my Mom because she liked them, and it felt like I got more samples when they were for someone else.

Jul 6, 2021
Welcome, and thanks for the great intro. I share your passion for Ensar and Areej. Please enjoy your time here!
Wearing Olde Hind today by Ensar- one of my favorites of his. He's been releasing so much lately- anything you've really been liking?

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
Wearing Olde Hind today by Ensar- one of my favorites of his. He's been releasing so much lately- anything you've really been liking?
That one is really good -- I love the smokiness of it. My favorite in recent months has definitely been Qi Nan. Though Tonkin Musk and Tigerwood are also both very good.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...