Hello! 21M from Hong Kong with a peculiar nose

Sep 20, 2022
Just an average 21 yo man who recently got into the hobby of sniffing things and looking for deals for decants, partly to give my ADHD brain some stimulations, party to teach myself to be more expressive and partly as inspiration to my artworks.

I want to know all about my passions that are the many art forms of music, films, painting, fashion, literature, ways of gender expressions and of course perfumery. On one hand, I appreciate the popular, common things, as they represent the preference the society and culture that we live in, and that is interesting to study, but as for the things that I would add to my collection, they need to be unusual, refined, and expressive. What's so attractive about sense of smell is that it is so connected to memories.The fragrances that I love often are reminiscent of scents that I smelt and liked in daily life that just boosts my mood throughout the day, giving an atmosphere that either relaxes or excites me, or even touching a part of my brain that brings up a lost memory that just give me nostalgia which I love to indulge in.

So, my preferred notes are: citruses, aquatics, lavender, rose, jasmine, iris, woods, amber ,tobacco and alcoholic scents, for lack of better words. I would say my preference is somewhat affected by the sub-tropical climate that I live in and the east asian culture which is less tolerable of heavier scents. Leather, oud, spices, asphalt are some of the least likeable notes. I also do not care too much for sweet, fruity, soapy or powdery scents. Of course I don't absolutely exclude them, just that the need to be used in a conservative amount. I've also unfortunately got a contrarian and rebellious attitude towards popular fragrances. I trust my nose only. Sauvage EDT is too common, which I nicknamed toilet water in cantonese. Bleu De Chanel parfum is too soapy and classically boring. And Chanel No.5 smells like old-fashioned dirty florals to me. Needless to say, these preferences are not set and stone. Being only 2 months into this hobby with a deviated septum and smokes weed regularly, I very much seeing myself liking and disliking different notes and scents in the future as my nose evolves.

On the contrary, the way Boy Toy is unconventionally masculine with the inclusion of some of my favourites notes of roses and cucumber aquatic freshness is right up my alley. Lazy sunday morning is the most amazing scent of linen which have been dried under the sun with a hint of florals. Kenzo pour homme, although is one retro 90's fragrance that is perfectly to wear with a floral old-fashion shirt, a purple belt, a pair of flared trousers and dance to songs like Jump by Van Halen or Do It Again by Steely Dan. Y by YSL, albeit popular, has this attractive, young, sportiness to it that I just can't help but love. And my most favourite fragrance is to wear Bleu de Chanel as base for its classic ,and mass appealing factor, and layer it with Every Storm a Serenade by Imaginary Authors on top, which the seaweed notes reminds me of a cool autumn night, feeling the sea breeze on the seaside of Hong Kong Victoria's Harbour, overseeing the calm yet stunning night view. It's a shame that the performance is so poor and it lacks a bit of depth imo that I prefer not to wear it by itself. In general, I like young, fresh, and less overtly masculine fragrances.

Fellow fragheads, would you mind to recommend some fragrances to me? I am looking something that is as fresh as the zest of a lemon or yuzu juice, and also sth that is young but have the pine needles and pine cones notes that is so comforting, and a heavily salty and aquatic scent that is similar to the smell of ocean. I am of course more than happy to contribute back to this precious, fragrant community. Let's chat!

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Welcome!

As for recommendation, I was thinking Caron Yuzu man, fresh citrus, very balanced. For an aquatic citrus, I like the niche perfume The Zoo Community, unfortunately it's only available online. For pine, there are two old (and inexpensive) classics that still work well, Acqua di Selva and Pino Silvestre.

cacio

underground

Basenotes Member
Mar 9, 2022
Just an average 21 yo man who recently got into the hobby of sniffing things and looking for deals for decants, partly to give my ADHD brain some stimulations, party to teach myself to be more expressive and partly as inspiration to my artworks.

I want to know all about my passions that are the many art forms of music, films, painting, fashion, literature, ways of gender expressions and of course perfumery. On one hand, I appreciate the popular, common things, as they represent the preference the society and culture that we live in, and that is interesting to study, but as for the things that I would add to my collection, they need to be unusual, refined, and expressive. What's so attractive about sense of smell is that it is so connected to memories.The fragrances that I love often are reminiscent of scents that I smelt and liked in daily life that just boosts my mood throughout the day, giving an atmosphere that either relaxes or excites me, or even touching a part of my brain that brings up a lost memory that just give me nostalgia which I love to indulge in.

So, my preferred notes are: citruses, aquatics, lavender, rose, jasmine, iris, woods, amber ,tobacco and alcoholic scents, for lack of better words. I would say my preference is somewhat affected by the sub-tropical climate that I live in and the east asian culture which is less tolerable of heavier scents. Leather, oud, spices, asphalt are some of the least likeable notes. I also do not care too much for sweet, fruity, soapy or powdery scents. Of course I don't absolutely exclude them, just that the need to be used in a conservative amount. I've also unfortunately got a contrarian and rebellious attitude towards popular fragrances. I trust my nose only. Sauvage EDT is too common, which I nicknamed toilet water in cantonese. Bleu De Chanel parfum is too soapy and classically boring. And Chanel No.5 smells like old-fashioned dirty florals to me. Needless to say, these preferences are not set and stone. Being only 2 months into this hobby with a deviated septum and smokes weed regularly, I very much seeing myself liking and disliking different notes and scents in the future as my nose evolves.

On the contrary, the way Boy Toy is unconventionally masculine with the inclusion of some of my favourites notes of roses and cucumber aquatic freshness is right up my alley. Lazy sunday morning is the most amazing scent of linen which have been dried under the sun with a hint of florals. Kenzo pour homme, although is one retro 90's fragrance that is perfectly to wear with a floral old-fashion shirt, a purple belt, a pair of flared trousers and dance to songs like Jump by Van Halen or Do It Again by Steely Dan. Y by YSL, albeit popular, has this attractive, young, sportiness to it that I just can't help but love. And my most favourite fragrance is to wear Bleu de Chanel as base for its classic ,and mass appealing factor, and layer it with Every Storm a Serenade by Imaginary Authors on top, which the seaweed notes reminds me of a cool autumn night, feeling the sea breeze on the seaside of Hong Kong Victoria's Harbour, overseeing the calm yet stunning night view. It's a shame that the performance is so poor and it lacks a bit of depth imo that I prefer not to wear it by itself. In general, I like young, fresh, and less overtly masculine fragrances.

Fellow fragheads, would you mind to recommend some fragrances to me? I am looking something that is as fresh as the zest of a lemon or yuzu juice, and also sth that is young but have the pine needles and pine cones notes that is so comforting, and a heavily salty and aquatic scent that is similar to the smell of ocean. I am of course more than happy to contribute back to this precious, fragrant community. Let's chat!
cool name man. welcome. you can always sell your frags, so dont be too scared to buy stuff you think you may like.

Sep 20, 2022
Welcome!

As for recommendation, I was thinking Caron Yuzu man, fresh citrus, very balanced. For an aquatic citrus, I like the niche perfume The Zoo Community, unfortunately it's only available online. For pine, there are two old (and inexpensive) classics that still work well, Acqua di Selva and Pino Silvestre.

cacio
Thank you for your recommendations. Will definitely try getting decants of these!

Sep 20, 2022
cool name man. welcome. you can always sell your frags, so dont be too scared to buy stuff you think you may like.
Hung is the anglicised word meaning red in Cantonese haha. So my name means Cheung Red Red, meaning to take the piss out of the communist style of names of mainland China in the past😉. Of course the innuendo that you’re getting from that word is a plus for me haha.

Sep 20, 2022
Hello and welcome!

Adding especially ADP Quercia Marina, ADG Essenza, Chevignon Brand and also Best of Chevignon by the same house, most versions/concentrations/flankers of Kenzo pour Homme.
Thank you for your recommendations. Let me see if I can get my hands on these decants.

Latest News

. .