Hats on Middle Age Men

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
What kind of hats are middle age gentlemen wearing here? Fedoras, baseball caps.....and where do you wear them? I still wear baseball caps--even indoors though I am still bothered a bit by that due to old fashioned values. Also love to wear a fedora now and then with jeans and a nice shirt.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
What kind of hats are middle age gentlemen wearing here? Fedoras, baseball caps.....and where do you wear them? I still wear baseball caps--even indoors though I am still bothered a bit by that due to old fashioned values. Also love to wear a fedora now and then with jeans and a nice shirt.

Earlier this week I was on the bus and three men on the bus were wearing actual hats. One man was wearing a baseball cap but it was the hats that caught my fancy. The hats were suited to summer. One was a slope-brimmed canvas type in light beige that draped on an elegant slant, slightly to one side. The other two hats were woven straw narrow-brimmed fedoras with grosgrain bands with a flat bow—absolutely dashing! All three men were casually dressed. An elegant hat can go with any outfit.

I was dying to take out my phone and photograph the hats. I was sitting in the back of the bus with a side and back view but did not do so because I don't like photographing people without their consent. So I just committed the experience to memory and am glad to be able to "memorialize" it (as Judge Judy says) in this thread.

In short, guys, please wear a hat! You have no idea how good it makes you look! 😀

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I adore fedoras, especially wide-brimmed black ones. That would look great with jeans and a nice shirt...or just about anything. Suave to the max..

Pippin06

Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
Earlier this week I was on the bus and three men on the bus were wearing actual hats. One man was wearing a baseball cap but it was the hats that caught my fancy. The hats were suited to summer. One was a slope-brimmed canvas type in light beige that draped on an elegant slant, slightly to one side. The other two hats were woven straw narrow-brimmed fedoras with grosgrain bands with a flat bow—absolutely dashing! All three men were casually dressed. An elegant hat can go with any outfit.

I was dying to take out my phone and photograph the hats. I was sitting in the back of the bus with a side and back view but did not do so because I don't like photographing people without their consent. So I just committed the experience to memory and am glad to be able to "memorialize" it (as Judge Judy says) in this thread.

In short, guys, please wear a hat! You have no idea how good it makes you look! 😀
Me in my only fedora from about 8 months ago. Thank you sharing your bus experience FiveoaksBouquet, and for the encouragement FiveoaksBouquet and Bonnette. I've been thinking of getting another for cooler weather--and now I will! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20211217_104125165.jpg
    IMG_20211217_104125165.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 13

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
I know this will not be a popular opinion, but...I am strongly against middle aged men wearing hats. They look either too costume-y, or that they are being worn to cover/disguise a balding head. Fedoras are no longer in style and baseball caps only look okay if you're attending a sporting event. There is no real social or business event that calls for a hat.

Pippin06

Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
I know this will not be a popular opinion, but...I am strongly against middle aged men wearing hats. They look either too costume-y, or that they are being worn to cover/disguise a balding head. Fedoras are no longer in style and baseball caps only look okay if you're attending a sporting event. There is no real social or business event that calls for a hat.
Thank you Starblind. It's helpful to have different opinions. I appreciate it. It's the first fedora I've owned, and rarely wear it, so I am definitely exploring. :)

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
I think most men look better without a hat, and it's best to find a haircut that works for you and emphasize it rather than covering it up. If you look at male models, you'll notice that they very rarely wear hats.

Even if I were balding, I'd rather grow it out with confidence like Stavros Halkias than try to cover it up.

Pippin06

Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
I think most men look better without a hat, and it's best to find a haircut that works for you and emphasize it rather than covering it up. If you look at male models, you'll notice that they very rarely wear hats.

Even if I were balding, I'd rather grow it out with confidence like Stavros Halkias than try to cover it up.
Maybe it's the nostalgic side of me--and my admiration of the styles of Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra....Plus, I think it's a fun accessory now and then. :) And, God knows, I am a bit of a non-conformist! LOL

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
I'm not a fan of baseball caps at all. They're too common, and they have a lower-working class American vibe to it.

If you're not a rapper from 2004, or a dad with cargo shorts mowing the lawn, steer clear.

A man should feel like he's beautiful and his face/head/haircut is worth a million bucks. Why cover it with some $9.99 Caterpillar tractor or Detroit lions hat from walmart.

ScentSensei

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 21, 2020

Wow, I never would have expected Stavros Halkias' name popping up randomly in a forum thread about hats of all things!

I am one of those middle aged men that simply cannot wear a hat of any kind. I've had multiple women shop hats with me and nothing but furious head shaking no matter what style, size, color....I did buy one Levi's baseball cap because my girlfriend at the time said it 'didn't look that bad' but that's the best feedback I ever got. I consider my head as hat hopeless.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
I went through a fedora phase a few years back.

Like them a lot. Good ones are very pricey. Optimo Hats and Vintage Silhouettes are the "niche" hat makers.

While I like them, I'd say a majority of people think you're just odd and out of touch if you wear them often. Some would liken it to a costume. You have to be fairly confident in yourself to pull them off on a regular basis. If you're "mature" you can do it and not give a hoot I guess.

My retirement gift to me was a Montecristi which is a pricey summer hat. That one I can wear without getting too much guff.

Baseball hats are fairly utilitarian and ubiquitous. Ken Griffey Junior looks good wearing a baseball hat backwards. Nearly everyone else doing that looks really lame IMO. Mature guys in baseball hats are probably presumed bald.

My favorite hat is a homburg which I only wear when really suited up. Homburgs are sometimes called the "godfather" hat since that's the hat Michael Corelone wears. I get interesting reactions to that one. It's a fairly dramatic look.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Hear, hear! Especially a good Panama.

Don’t get me started on Panama hats! I see a reference to Montecristi by StylinLA above. Good ones are the crème-de-la-crème and for the best ones a person can go bankrupt (while being protected from the sun and looking most elegant).

I got into researching Panama hats after finding a garden-variety one in the Salvation Army store and they are a whole world unto themselves.

[Runs to closet to put on her Panama hat…]

JBHoren

I *am* smiling
Apr 25, 2007
Long ago, in my Jerusalem yeshiva days, I used to wear a fedora (a Borsalino, of course) -- a brown one during the week, and a black one on Shabbos and Chagim (yes, with a bekishe).

I believe that hats, like all clothing and "accessories" (fragrances included), reflect (consciously, or otherwise) whom we are. I'm no longer that "yeshiva bochur", that "kollel yungeman" or "ba'al habayit", so wearing a fedora wouldn't work for me, at any level, at all, anymore.

Sadly, I don't have any photos from those days. Ex-wife (#2), an Israeli photographer, might have some; I'll ask her, but we haven't spoken in almost 20 years, so...

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
Don’t get me started on Panama hats! I see a reference to Montecristi by StylinLA above. Good ones are the crème-de-la-crème and for the best ones a person can go bankrupt (while being protected from the sun and looking most elegant).
Mine was pricey but not insane. A good friend has one so pricey I wouldn't leave the house wearing it. I'd keep it in a glass case with a light shining on it.

Good Panama hats are actually from Ecuador. The price goes up related to the tightness of the weave.
Artisans sometimes spend months weaving the toquiila straw into one hat "blank." There is no machinery or shortcuts in weaving the hat.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
While not middle aged yet (at least thinking to be like this) short answer: beanie and/or baseball caps mostly out of need, while actually enjoying to wear berets, otherwise not (yet) owning nor wearing top hats, fedoras or otherwise more dandified hat designs/styles.

Long (er) answer: while beanie caps do fulfill an immediate need for colder and baseball caps for warmer, sunnier weather, always enjoyed berets on a weather/necessity independent basis.
Namely more casual, mostly linen based berets for warmer weather, while more formally cut, expensive and/or heavy (er) wool fabric ones for colder weather, as well as for more formal occasions and more classically traditional outfits.

By the way (also admitting to be quite a history enthusiast and a quite novice fashion enthusiast at once), with apologies in advance if being even slightly off-topic, first (mis) read the title of the current thread as hats on Middle Age men- far more as an exploration of and/or discussion on masculine headgear during the Middle ages, a topic/subject would have also rated as quite fascinating and intellect stimulating on its own.

Pippin06

Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
While not middle aged yet (at least thinking to be like this) short answer: beanie and/or baseball caps mostly out of need, while actually enjoying to wear berets, otherwise not (yet) owning nor wearing top hats, fedoras or otherwise more dandified hat designs/styles.

Long (er) answer: while beanie caps do fulfill an immediate need for colder and baseball caps for warmer, sunnier weather, always enjoyed berets on a weather/necessity independent basis.
Namely more casual, mostly linen based berets for warmer weather, while more formally cut, expensive and/or heavy (er) wool fabric ones for colder weather, as well as for more formal occasions and more classically traditional outfits.

By the way (also admitting to be quite a history enthusiast and a quite novice fashion enthusiast at once), with apologies in advance if being even slightly off-topic, first (mis) read the title of the current thread as hats on Middle Age men- far more as an exploration of and/or discussion on masculine headgear during the Middle ages, a topic/subject would have also rated as quite fascinating and intellect stimulating on its own.
Yes! Berets are wonderful! I need to wear them more often.

Jan 18, 2020
I‘m 44, and I will occasionally still wear a baseball cap, forward or backward, if I’m going ultra casual, like to walk my dog or to take my son to the park. For the most part, when I go out in public I prefer not to wear a hat. I don’t like how I look in a fedora or any standard hat, and though some guys can pull it off and look good in them, I think hats look pretentious on a lot of men, (with the exception of orthodox Jews for whom it’s customary..)

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I’m not especially fond of hats for myself, though I wear them on occasion (whether ball cap or Borsalino).

One thing to remember is that, aside from style, hats serve practical purposes, whether shielding from the sun in hot weather or keeping body heat from escaping (and ears from freezing) in cold. So, in some circumstances, not wearing a hat is closer to “fashion victim” than wearing one.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Where I live, the only hats on men I see are baseball caps. I'm not middle aged, but I don't like wearing hats at all.

Pippin06

Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
One bit of hat history I'd like to share that I find quite interesting. Those city dwellers here old enough to remember, might recall seeing hat shops on many city street corners. Seeing large crowds of men even wearing fedoras at sporting events such as professional baseball or hockey games was the norm. I grew up in downtown Chicago, and witnessed this first hand. Men just wore hats--often.

John F. Kennedy--handsome, charming, and admired by scores of American men who wished to emulate him, all but destroyed the dress hat industry for men, as Kennedy didn't wear them. So went the corner hat stores in big cities and the huge popularity of dress hats.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
I’m not especially fond of hats for myself, though I wear them on occasion (whether ball cap or Borsalino).

One thing to remember is that, aside from style, hats serve practical purposes, whether shielding from the sun in hot weather or keeping body heat from escaping (and ears from freezing) in cold. So, in some circumstances, not wearing a hat is closer to “fashion victim” than wearing one.

This is a very good point. Not a man, but I wear a Tilley hat in the summer for sun ptotection and a woollen beret in winter.

I previously didn’t like wearing a hat, even in winter, and I used to get sinus headaches from the cold and needed a heavy coat. Someone gave me a woollen hat as a gift and I wore it out of politeness, only to discover the headaches went away and I had to get lighter jackets because a heavy coat became too warm.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
One bit of hat history I'd like to share that I find quite interesting. Those city dwellers here old enough to remember, might recall seeing hat shops on many city street corners. Seeing large crowds of men even wearing fedoras at sporting events such as professional baseball or hockey games was the norm. I grew up in downtown Chicago, and witnessed this first hand. Men just wore hats--often.

John F. Kennedy--handsome, charming, and admired by scores of American men who wished to emulate him, all but destroyed the dress hat industry for men, as Kennedy didn't wear them. So went the corner hat stores in big cities and the huge popularity of dress hats.
Actually as one time member of a hat forum, "Kennedy killed the hat" is a bit of a myth. He was really mostly following a trend that was already in progress. Being so well know and admired (mostly) he may have hastened it along.

There were a few factors that killed the hat, not the least of which was cars.

Put on your hat...walk to the car...take off your hat...drive to work...get out of the car...put on your hat...go in office...take off your hat. Became a bit silly.

Kennedy did wear a top hat to his inauguration.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Something like Gentleman's Gazzette?
Raphael-and-Preston-wearing-bowler-hats-1.jpg

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
Long ago, in my Jerusalem yeshiva days, I used to wear a fedora (a Borsalino, of course) -- a brown one during the week, and a black one on Shabbos and Chagim (yes, with a bekishe).

I believe that hats, like all clothing and "accessories" (fragrances included), reflect (consciously, or otherwise) whom we are. I'm no longer that "yeshiva bochur", that "kollel yungeman" or "ba'al habayit", so wearing a fedora wouldn't work for me, at any level, at all, anymore.

Sadly, I don't have any photos from those days. Ex-wife (#2), an Israeli photographer, might have some; I'll ask her, but we haven't spoken in almost 20 years, so...

But did you wear a shtreimel? ;-)

Pippin06

Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
She had a good, long life..... Having said that, she also ate (just one) of my Peals tuxedo shoes and a pair of my wife's Ralph Lauren collection pumps. She only went for the good stuff. The hat has been replaced (a chance to upgrade?).
We had a dog for 15 years--a black lab mix, sweet as could be--who was a one canine home wrecker. That dog destroyed: a mattress box spring, closet shelves, wall to wall carpeting and the foam padding, a vacuum cleaner, a metal oven door handle, steel bars on a crate, shoes, books, rolls of toilet paper, etc. He had a long and distinguished career.

Latest News